Seven Sport

No Peter Donegn? Johanna Griggs? Michael Felgate?

Long-time Melbourne Cup personalities for Seven.

Nice to see Ross Stevenson (‘king of Melbourne radio’, A Moveable Feast co-host & Racing.com presenter part of the coverage).

Also no Simon Marshall?
Richard Freedman is back and no Simon O’Donnell who was part of the coverage last year

1 Like

Simon Marshall is covering the Cup coverage on Racing.com

1 Like

…as a talking billboard spokesperson for Sportsbet

In regards to the omission of Peter Donegan, it’s a shock considering he’s been involved with Melbourne Cup coverage for many years now across both Seven and Ten (when they previously had the rights). However, I guess Seven probably wants to keep consistency in that Jason Richardson is their main mounting yard reporter across the rest of the year

1 Like

In regards to Simon Marshall and Michael Felgate, both are at Racing.com often, so yes might explain it.

Peter Donegan the biggest surprise, he might still turn-up, perhaps other meetings, maybe he was unavailable?

Simon O’Donnell has been good in recent years too.

NB/ Donegan used to call the ‘GF Sprint’ at half time during Ten’s AFL Grand Finals too.

Interesting comments at AGM - looks like Seven will be dropping underperforming sports.

The later in Outlook:

I think these sports events are at risk of being dropped: Davis Cup / Fed Cup tennis, NFL, golf, Bathurst 12 hour motor race, Sydney to Hobart yacht race. That will leave Seven with AFL, horse racing, Australian Open and the Olympics.

Should have been dropped many years ago. No one cares.

1 Like

Fast4 tennis hasn’t done very well.

Do Seven get paid to show Sydney Rugby or is there a cost?

1 Like

None of them you could classify as being ‘major sports events’ which cost a significant amount to acquire the rights for. If Seven dropped all of those events, they probably be nowhere even close to even achieving one-tenth of the $50 million they want to save

1 Like

Seven signed a long-term contract (continuing an already longterm association…I think) with Australian Golf for the Open & PGA Championship a few months back. Both events seem to be mainstream enough for Seven to run main channel coverage, so I think they’ll continue with those for the duration of the current contract but after that who knows.

The NFL, Davis/Fed Cup/Fast4 tennis, Sydney Shute Shield Rugby…I’d agree that they’re in danger of being dropped.

I certainly don’t think those will be in danger of being dropped by Seven anytime soon.

2 Likes

Think the Sydney Rugby is a time buy, so unless the terms of that deal changes that will probably stay.

1 Like

I also don’t think Seven will renew the broadcast contracts the state league Aussie Rules competition (VFL, SANFL, WAFL) when they expire in a few years’ time. Perhaps it may want to regain the Saturday afternoon match for the next AFL broadcast deal beginning 2023?

2 Likes

The WAFL, SANFL and VFL broadcasts are produced by Eddie McGuire’s JAM TV, and JAM cover all the costs don’t they? If so it costs Seven nothing to put these to air.

3 Likes

Really?

I thought the VFL was working well for Seven Melbourne and making a healthy return?

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure that the WAFL organised the sponsorship’s required to cover the local production costs, not sure about other states

1 Like

Summary of Seven Sports contracts.

• Seven will have the Olympics broadcasting contract until 2020, although it’s keen on securing the Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
  • Afl will stay at Seven until the end of broadcast deal in late 2022.
  • Seven will telecast Summer of tennis right through to 2019.
  • Swimming will stay on 7 until 2025.
  • Channel 7’s broadcasting contract of NFL will expire in 2019.
1 Like

I know it’s unlikely and it’s part of Seven’s DNA, but what about the Olympics?

Seriously, it did underperform for them in Rio last year and could be considered a “major one off event”.

If they’re really looking at cost cutting and getting a return.

It only rated sh*t last year because their coverage was woeful and at the peak of primetime they inflict the boring, woeful Hamish McLachlan as primetime host with nothing but repeats airing, even during game time.

3 Likes

I doubt they’re the main factors.

It’s the Olympics, biggest sport event in the world, people will flock (particularly swimming and athletics here).

I believe the main reason was due to Rio’s time zone. With no live events at the core prime-time of 7:30pm, having to have a ‘highlights’ show.

Tokyo will be much better.

2 Likes