Seven Regional

He only holds 14%. Also does not have a board seat, despite the heavy investment, so not considered to be in control of the broadcast licences.

It won’t happen any time soon:

While he holds below the threshold for control, its not considered an issue - but that doesnt consider that he is able to wield some control by the sheer parcel of shares that he has. 14% is enough to make a difference when it comes to shareholder votes (especially where they have to hit a specific target)

Catalano (and WIN for that matter) have indicated that regional media only has a future with greater consolidation, but that’s not exactly possible in the current environment without some asset shedding - so we’ve entered this awkward period where they collectively hold significant control over the future of the company without actually having control. Gets even more complicated when you have Seven enter the game with a decent portion as well.

2 Likes

They could’ve just let Seven merge with Prime and this wouldn’t be an issue. Seems like their whole plan rested on getting the government to change the law (not a savvy business decision unless you know that’s 100% going to happen).

6 Likes

But holds a blocking stake of over 10% when it comes to compulsory acquisition.

They were within their rights to vote against the deal

1 Like

Prime7 and WIN Newcastle from Mt. Sugarloaf are down!!!

3 Likes

So with WIN watermarking and promo branding now pretty much gone, all we need now is for the Prime7 and GWN7 watermarks to be replaced with the 7 one, and then we have consistent metro branding on all 3 commercial networks (apart from short IDs and local news) in regional areas in all states (Remote IMP being the odd one out).

Wonder if/when we will see the end of Prime/GWN branding in watermarks to make this a reality?

1 Like

It’s funny how it’s sort of been in a brand limbo for a decade now with the “7” addition in the Prime name.

Prime standalone was a better name IMO, also rolled off the tongue better.

I think if Seven successfully purchase Prime Media, it’ll happen. Otherwise while Prime Media operate as they are, they clearly want their “Prime” legacy kept in the brand, even seen with the on-air watermarks.

2 Likes

True, but 7 could follow 9’s lead and enforce heavier use of their brand.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t, considering SCTV in Tasmania recently. Maybe Prime aren’t budging. Surely.

1 Like

It was my impression from working inside SCA when SCTV became ‘7’ that it was a decision made by SCA and not under any pressure from Seven.

11 Likes

I mean the drama from the news branding alone (planning to rebrand as 7 News, then getting rebuked by SWM and forced to go down the “Nightly News > 7 Tasmania route”) made this pretty clear.

17 Likes

Just noticed that 7mate is in HD via Prime7 tonight.

Is this new, or have I missed something?
I don’t recall seeing 7mate in HD before today.

5 Likes

Probably at the next affililiation signing.

SCA has shown a willingness to dump local branding for national, with Nine and 10

Seven will want their brand national - and request SCA or Prime to take the 7 brand

That said, Prime7 now has a strong point of difference. And the only station group with a point of localism. Prime7 outperforms the seven network on a ratings basis - so they may have an argument for keeping their brand

4 Likes

Could it be for Tokyo?

edit just saw the follow up comments in the HD thread, so we’re thinking yes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s not a “willingness”, they openly piggyback on it, that’s their style as seen with all of their television services. Cheap and nasty.

They would shit themselves if a network said no way and demanded no crossover.

2 Likes

In an age of national branding for Netflix, Disney+, Binge, ABC iView and national entertainment brands - I’m certain the networks want their brands national.

4 Likes

I don’t think the co-branded Prime7 is doing that much harm to Seven’s national identity, to be honest. Every promo with a scheduled time is straight 7. They openly promote 7’s online assets, 7 News, the multi-channels have almost zero association with Prime and even their local news includes the 7 brand when it doesn’t really have to.

Prime is nothing like the brand-suppressing WIN or SCTV of yesteryear.

12 Likes

This is interesting.

It’s very much NOT in affiliates interests to remind viewers they can bypass them and watch all content on their streaming platforms

I don’t think WIN stations run any promo / marketing for 9 Now from what I have read.

I’m sure SCA also does not push to 10 Play or run freebie unpaid spots for Paramount +

2 Likes

10 pushes 10 Play in their standard promos, which SCA airs unaltered. Not sure if they air Paramount+ promos unpaid.

I’m yet to see if WIN9 promote 9Now/nine.com.au but SCA certainly did under 9 affiliation. WIN9 currently shows Stan promos, again unknown if paid or unpaid.

4 Likes