Seven News Spotlight

Is it related to Ukraine, is she still UK Correspondent? Otherwise if she’s joining the team, seems a bit left-of-field, not exactly known for investigative reporting.

1 Like

Pretty sure she’s joining the team.

1 Like

It was announced last month

3 Likes

Current US Bureau Chief Ashlee Mullany will move continents to become the network’s Europe correspondent based in London.

David Woiwod, a current US correspondent, will take over as US Bureau Chief from May onwards. Mylee Hogan, who is currently based in Sydney, will join correspondent Tim Lester in the US news division.

6 Likes

How long was she European correspondent? Who will they have now?

1 Like

Sorry my bad, I did see and read that presser and noted the others, just somehow forgot or overlooked Sarah :+1:

Seems like a little while now, at least a few years, did she replace Laurel Irving (who IIRC did the first COVID year 2020 and then left)?

1 Like

Nope Laurel was back in Melbourne by the time Covid happened. Sarah has done 4 years now, since 2019.

I assume Sarah’s first stories are going to be europe related, as she’s still based in London at the moment.

2 Likes

Next week. The Cult Next Door. reporting from South Korea.

4 Likes

very late, but got to watch this tonight and this was quality, informed viewing.

would highly suggest anyone to share this around, definitely scary to think what could happen.

5 Likes

The quality of the stories spotlight have been producing have been top notch

2 Likes

The Cult Next Door

7NEWS Spotlight’s global investigation into a dangerous ‘religious’ group

They were two young Aussie women, enticed by faith and friendship, welcomed into a community made to feel safe and loved. But things quickly changed.

This week, in a 7NEWS Spotlight global investigation, for the first time the chilling true stories of the women who escaped a dangerous cult.

Branded as a religious movement, Providence has been operating in Australia since 1997, and is accused of recruiting young women in local shopping centres and universities then brainwashing them to travel to South Korea to become spiritual brides of a convicted rapist.

Spotlight has uncovered allegations of sexual assault, sex trafficking and brainwashing by the outfit which is registered as a charitable organisation in Australia.

7NEWS Europe correspondent Sarah Greenhalgh this week joins the 7NEWS Spotlight team and, in a world first, travels deep inside the secretive cult compound in South Korea to confront the leaders.

“We’ve been investigating this cult for six months and it has led us across Australia, to the US and South Korea,” said Sarah. “When we started, we knew there were serious allegations of coercive control and various forms of abuse, but we had no idea just how sinister this organisation is. What we’ve uncovered now involves the sex trafficking unit of the Australian Federal Police.

“Providence was founded in 1978 by self-professed ‘messiah’ Jeong Meong-Seok (JMS). The group claims to be a Christian religious movement with more than 40,000 Korean members and a presence in more than 70 countries including Australia. The ‘churches’ we’ve visited in Melbourne and Sydney are just like those in South Korea – there’s no signage, no lists of services, certainly no standard, ‘open door’ church policy. Instead, the faithful meet behind frosted glass, using secret pin codes for access.

“Providence is a cult. And the impact it has had on so many young women’s lives is enormous.”

Seems like our local mate @blackbox is now a producer for Spotlight!
Congrats.

https://twitter.com/rob_mcknight/status/1674722587258290178?t=RrAIGuU27uk8ajdSyJYgpw&s=19

9 Likes

Believe it’s just freelance, he mentioned it on the latest podcast too.

1 Like

7NEWS Spotlight: William Tyrell

In a 7NEWS Spotlight special event, award-winning investigative reporter Liam Bartlett delves into the latest twist in one of the nation’s most haunting mysteries – the unsolved disappearance of William Tyrell.

The three-year-old sparked one of the biggest manhunts in living memory when he vanished outside his foster family’s residence in Kendall on the state’s north coast in September 2014.

The investigation that followed uncovered shocking revelations, exposed paedophile rings, flaws in the foster care system, and led to the demise of Australia’s most senior homicide detective.

In the seven years since, NSW Police have publicly identified numerous persons of interest only to ultimately rule them out.

In the past fortnight, on what would have been William’s 12th birthday, detectives claimed to have finally cracked the case, urging the state prosecutors to charge William’s foster mother for allegedly covering up his accidental death. William’s foster mother has denied any wrongdoing.

This Sunday, Liam Bartlett will be joined by a panel of leading criminal experts, including Mark Morri, News Corp’s most senior crime reporter who bought to light the investigation into the foster mother, one of the country’s most effective homicide detectives, Charlie Bezzina; and, investigative author Caroline Overington as they navigate through the labyrinth of twists and turns in the ongoing police investigation surrounding the baffling case.

This explosive event will examine critical new evidence, key allegations, and introduce startling revelations that could reshape the narrative surrounding William’s disappearance.

And, in emotional and never-before-seen interview with William’s biological mother, candid revelations will challenge long-held assumptions – including her concerns about William’s foster family.

“Sadly, this is a case that, for too long, has captivated the Australian public in the worst way. Either in the hope of finding little William - or find the person or people responsible for his disappearance,” Bartlett said.

“Hopefully this time the new development is not another false start - and we can be part of a discussion that may lead to a genuine solution.”

7NEWS Spotlight 8.45pm Sunday

1 Like

7NEWS Spotlight: Dr Charlie Teo

Controversial brain surgeon back in the operating room

Embattled neurosurgeon Dr Charlie Teo has returned to the operating theatre on the far side of the globe as desperate Aussie patients travel 17,000 kilometres from home to be treated by the only doctor they trust.

For these medical pilgrims, the controversial brain surgeon remains their only hope in their fight to stay alive.

In the most contentious investigation to air this year, 7NEWS Spotlight gains unprecedented access as Dr Teo travels through India and Spain to continue his work on Australian and international patients.

The explosive revelations, to air this Sunday at 8.50pm on Channel 7 and 7plus, come as the surgeon was today found guilty of professional misconduct over two surgeries and restrictions placed on his practising certificate.

Award-winning journalist Michael Usher is with Dr Teo as he learns his fate and addresses his critics head on. No question is off limits as he is forced to confront the controversy surrounding his work.

When it comes to life-or-death surgery, there was one name in Australia that stood above the rest.

Dr Charlie Teo built his career on taking the risks other surgeons wouldn’t, and that earned him a deeply divided reputation. Today that reputation is in tatters.

Still, for many Dr Teo remains their final chance. Now those patients are instead being forced overseas because the surgeon they want is banished from Australian hospitals. Aussies like 34-year-old mum and brain cancer sufferer Elise, who embarked on a high-risk race around the world in her fight to live for her four-year-old son.

Beyond the operating room, we hear from other Australians whose lives have been changed forever by Dr Teo’s surgical interventions – their insights offering a glimpse into the gratitude and hope felt by those who credit him with their second chance at life.

And Dr Teo’s partner and his children speak for the very first time about why the man they love has become the enemy and not the brain cancer he treats.

7NEWS Spotlight 8.50pm Sunday on Channel 7

Follows

1 Like

Great to see a new and unique story in investigative journalism this year…oh wait.

Should be good.

The Daily Telegraph today published excerpts from Dr Teo’s Spotlight interview.

The surgeon revealed he had all but given up on working in Australia, claiming he has been “crucified” by authorities.

“I am not guilty of what I am accused of, I reject what they say I have done, they just don’t believe me, so why would I show remorse for something that I deny?”

“I could appeal, I think I would win. They wouldn’t be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the things they have accused me of because they are not true. But I’m not sure I have the strength to run an appeal. Furthermore, I don’t have the money to do so.”

Dr Teo instead revealed he would seek to continue practising overseas.

“I have just been granted privileges in China, in three different hospitals,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/charlie-teo-reveals-next-move-after-bombshell-finding/news-story/ea833b88187eefdbfdc4cb130f58a385

7NEWS Spotlight: Barramundi Country

Charles Wooley with a rare glimpse of Australia’s best kept secret

Legendary investigative journalist Charles Wooley returns to 7NEWS Spotlight at 8.50pm this Sunday on Channel 7 and 7plus to showcase the breathtaking landscapes, untouched beauty and hidden paradise of Australia’s Top End.

In a mesmerising exploration, 7NEWS Spotlight will offer a rare glimpse of an astonishing haven. It is Australia’s secret gem … and on Sunday it will be revealed.

Gaining unprecedented access, Wooley meets some fun loving, fast talking, life loving and extraordinary women who spend their days fishing for barramundi under the scorching sun, in a pristine, undiscovered sanctuary. The only thing better than the fish is the espresso martinis they bring with them.

However, amid the beauty lies a haunting past. And what Wooley discovers will leave viewers stunned.

"Australia, the only country in the world with an entire continent to call home, is a land of unparalleled diversity,” Wooley said. “In a world where wildness is fast disappearing, we still got it all right here. Let’s all hope for a future where we keep this magnificent place just the way it is now.”

7NEWS Spotlight 8.50pm this Sunday on Channel 7 and 7plus

2 Likes

There is also a second story on Sunday’s episode titled Lycra Rage (motorists v spandex wearing cyclists) with reporter Tom Tilley.

It’s actually two locations

Kimberley region in WA (including Salt River and Oombulgurri) and Corroboree Billabong in Mary River National Park in NT, plus a sidetrip to Humpty Doo barramundi farm outside Darwin.

1 Like