Seven News Presenters and Reporters

I doubt it would cost that much to demolish Mt Coot-tha and remediate the site. The cost saving from not maintaining that place would quickly offset the site remediation costs.

You may be able to do the control room for Surfers from Maroochydore using the existing studio kit at Mt Coot-tha too. Both Maroochydore and Surfers are far more attractive places to base staff than Mt Coot-tha.

1 Like

Another issue would be that STQ would need a major refit - they don’t have a proper connection with the network news servers (only BTQ’s).

Also STQ only has one studio, and a secondary plasma studio for updates - both are used at 6pm for Sunshine Coast, and to record evening updates.

1 Like

The smart thing would be to do weeknights from perhaps Maroochydore and weekends from Surfers.

Mt Coot-tha îs a rotten place to work - no under cover parking during storms and no public transport. Constant mileage up and down the hill for news crews and zero amenities up there like convenience stores or servo’s. If a bushfire got BTQ over summer Seven wouldn’t be crying

2 Likes

They can’t - both of their studios are in use at 6pm - if they end up doing this for whatever reason, it would be Surfers on weeknights, and Sunshine Coast on weekends.

1 Like

There’s no reason the Sunshine Coast bulletin couldn’t be prerecorded like the other bulletins are.

1 Like

That would work well anyway - an office in the Brisbane CBD somewhere on George St for the Journo’s/Camo’s within walking distance of the Courts and Parliament would cover those 2 rounds. A lot of the Brisbane suburban news could probably be covered from staffers at Surfers and Maroochydore anyway.

1 Like

According to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, Bec is spending a month in London, and will attend the wedding of her niece India and Jock Landale (who played in the Boomers team during the Paris Olympics) this Tuesday.

3 Likes

Not you Johnson, but why does this need to be reported? In the paper and online?

Why must we know why she’s away and where she’s gone?

It’s just sick really.

3 Likes

Michelle on weather again in Brisbane.

I guess this confirms Tony has moved to Monday to Friday on 7News Brisbane and 7News Gold Coast weather.

2 Likes

IF and a very big IF, this is true, then I don’t blame Rebecca.

Karina’s employment was not needed at all. It truly is a mystery here as to why she was hired.

7 Likes

I doubt this article has any merit. Karina’s hire definitely does bring some questions, but she is definitely not better than Bec as a newsreader.

7 Likes

Also management hired Bec 2 years ago to help improve their ratings - it worked for sometime - the issue is Nine has Tipping Point, and a fresh new duo on weeknights. Removing Bec would make things worse - but given Seven have mistreated Bec before, it wouldn’t surprise me.

5 Likes

I’m still undecided on the whole “Tipping Point” situation with the news ratings. It definitely has played a role, but I still think Nine hit the nail on the noggin with choosing Alicia and Tom - first time in over a decade we’ve had a fresh new weekday team on either network, and I think viewers wanted a change.

Case in point with Nine Adelaide and Perth - TP has definitely had a difference on the ratings, but they’re still trailing.

2 Likes

Part of Nine’s issue in Adelaide, as mentioned before, is that they seem to be very light on local content, and apart from the presenters, the reporter’s don’t stay around for very long to gain the audience’s trust and respect, unlike Seven who have reporter’s who’ve been there since the late 90s/early 2000s.

3 Likes

Very true.

What’s interesting is that Adelaide seems to be Nine’s training ground now - had a brief look at the archives and it seems Darwin was the old training ground when it was still locally produced.

Didn’t realise that Seven’s Isabelle Mullen was at 9 Darwin back then!

2 Likes

Darwin probably still is some sort of training ground, but it’s probably cheaper, and more attractive than Darwin, to get them into the Adelaide newsroom - especially since they now only have two reporters in Darwin thesedays.

1 Like

Its a ridiculous article.

Karina started just days before Bec went on leave. So it’s just nonsense that Karina was doing Bec’s pre-recordings.

3 Likes

Even with presenters that have been in their respective roles for long enough - Brenton/Kate for a decade in Adelaide, and Michael Thomson in Perth for six-and-a-half years - despite the competition they are up against, in the latter market in particular.

1 Like

I still don’t get the charm or excitement of Tipping Point.

Like coins drop and then get pushed off a cliff of sorts. It’s just a little boring to me.

Deal or No Deal is definitely the most exciting and fun of the 3 nightly gameshow options.

5 Likes

DOND is defintely the best of them, but I still love TP.

1 Like