Seven News Presenters and Reporters

I doubt this will happen but could HSV-7 also bring David Brown back in a freelance capacity? To my knowledge he hasn’t been sighted on television since he left 7NEWS Sydney towards the end of 2020.

1 Like

IIRC, Brownie might’ve appeared on Weekend Sunrise a few months ago (from Melbourne) to talk about the weather?

Whilst Brownie would bolster their team, I do also think it’s unlikely whilst HSV have Jane Bunn, Sonia Marinelli, Melina Sarris etc.

3 Likes

He used to appear on 9 News Perth under Fish Watch in the same capacity. Sneaky grab by 7.

2 Likes

Another case of “if you can’t beat them, join them!”

4 Likes

It would be great to see Jennifer Keyte return to 7 News Melbourne.

The first time this happened (she was moving across from Nine), in 2003, Seven were in a terrible state of affairs as far as its Melbourne news ratings were concerned. But it was never going to be a quick fix; they (Seven Melbourne) knew what they were doing and that, along with hiring Rob Gell to present its weekend weather, was part of their long-term plan to overtake their rivals at GTV.

If she were to return, and I don’t think it’ll happen, the question would be where she would fit in Seven Melbourne’s plans, given last year 7NEWS Melbourne had its strongest-rating year since 2009 (when it lost only six weeks to Nine News).

Bec and Mike are the future of 7 Melbourne. Make it a permanent double header.

6 Likes

She’d be more likely to go to Nine which needs more readers at GTV.

6 Likes

Agree. Currently there is no position for her at HSV. If something happened to Peter Mitchell (doubtful) Mike and Bec world move to weeknights and Blake would take weekends.

1 Like

You need someone stronger than Blake on the weekends. He’s fine as a substitute. But you cannot go from ‘Bec and Mike’ to Blake. You need someone equally as high profile.

If Jen was to go back it could only be on weekends, after Bec & Mike go to weekdays.

2 Likes

I don’t agree. Blake is very much capable and at that level.

Disagree. Blake is now more than capable of taking over weekends if required. Also, Jen would come with a bigger price tag.

1 Like

Sadly, Brownie has retired.

Abbey Gelmi on maternity leave after tomorrow’s bulletin.

4 Likes

Not sure who you think could be stronger than someone with his experience both in the field and at the desk. Plus its great to have some younger blood in the ranks.

1 Like

He does not have anywhere near the experience of who he would be replacing.

I totally agree he is good talent. But he’s not the same calibre as the other weekend readers.

1 Like

Qld reporter Marlina Whop returned to the state politics beat this week for the first time since her LA posting over summer. A much welcomed return.

3 Likes

She did an excellent job as the US correspondent good to see her receive some national exposure.

3 Likes

From Abbey’s Instagram on Monday:

Abbey

Annnd she’s officially on leave. Thank you @7newsmelbourne @mikeoz7 for the lovely (and very unnecessary) send off. Lucky to have a job I can’t wait to come back to! @channel7

6 Likes

Melina Sarris is stepping away from weekend weather (for the time being) to spend the weekend with her family.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Co9WhtCv49W/

1 Like