Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Why they didn’t send one in the first place is beyond me. Virtually every network sent someone there.

4 Likes

The last time both markets had double headers, it failed spectacularly in the ratings.

In Melbourne, David Johnston and Anne Fulwood lasted only 15 months or so before Peter Mitchell replaced them in November 2000. Seven continued to struggle in the ratings against the might of Nine and Ten, before finally overtaking both of them in 2007.

In Sydney, Ross Symonds and Ann Sanders lasted six years (1998-2003), being replaced by Ian Ross in December of the latter year. In fact, by June 2004, the Seven News Sydney roster had been completely overhauled, with the exception of Nick McArdle presenting sport on weekends.

December 2003
Weeknights: Ross Symonds, Ann Sanders (news), Mark Beretta (sport), Adam Digby (weather)
Weekends: Chris Bath (news), Nick McArdle (sport)

June 2004
Weeknights: Ian Ross (news), Matthew White (sport), Nuala Hafner (weather)
Weekends: Ann Sanders (news), Nick McArdle (sport)

Beretts moved to Sunrise after being replaced by White on the 6:00pm bulletin.

RE: Will Goodings and Rosanna Mangiarelli - different circumstances I know but who could remember when Bill McDonald and Sharyn Ghidella were suddenly parachuted into the weeknight slot nearly a decade ago?

That completely changed the ratings landscape in Brisbane from which Seven has not recovered (at the time, Seven News had been the number one bulletin in South East Queensland for six years running; mostly thanks to Ghidella replacing Tracey Challenor on weekends and John Schluter replacing Talitha Cummins on weather on the weeknight bulletin).

Except the Adelaide situation is nothing like Brisbane. One is a respected anchor retiring and succeeded by the weekend duo, the other was two veteran anchors shafted for the weekend presenter and ex-10 presenter in McDonald for the sake of doing so.

2 Likes

The next interesting talking point will be how Seven plans for when Rick and Sue retire (which I’m sure the network is already planning for, though neither Rick or Sue have announced their immediate intentions as of yet). It would obviously be easy to shift the current weekend presenters (Tim McMillan and Angela Tsun) into the weeknight role, but I think it will be a case of wait and see.

I sense that Seven will want to make the transition into the post-Rick and Sue era as smooth as possible by introducing some already familiar faces as their replacements (whenever this happens), but even so, given the market’s long-standing loyalty to Seven, I’d expect that the network’s local ratings will continue to remain strong.

4 Likes

Sue is 70, Rick 63. Assuming Sue retires first do they go Rick solo for a time?

I would. IMO I feel like it would work better than Rick/Angela.

When the time comes, I think they’ll both retire together. It would be a fitting gesture.

6 Likes

Surely you try to bring Monika Kos back to replace Sue?

But she’s not far off either is she?

55, she could have another 15 years if she wanted to.

1 Like

No way.

If Monika was part of their succession planning they would never have let her go.

7 Likes

Not if they could not afford to.

As it turns out she has maintained a profile at no expense to 7. If they did want to bring her back they could easily do so, and havent had to pay her for the years in between.

Monika is not the answer for 7 News Perth. That ship has sailed.

They have plenty of other succession options.

3 Likes

Succession planning for TVW is a hard one because we have no idea when Rick or Susannah will retire. Based on some of the interviews I have heard over the years I’m not even sure they know when they will be done. They both love the job and are still great at it. As long as they keep pulling in the numbers they are there is almost no chance of them ever being pushed.

They have both made jokes before about being in the way for upcoming talent and a lot of people have come and gone from TVW who could have been suitable replacements. It will very much depend on who is there when they do finally decide to call it a day.

If it were to happen now then Tim and Angela would be the logical choices. They both have the experience and are young enough to be there for a long time if they wanted to be.

6 Likes

Not sure if I’ve missed it on another thread, because usually it would have been posted by now - but Ann Sanders announced at the end of Sydney’s 4pm bulletin on Tuesday that she’s on break and will be back in the new year.

5 Likes

Angela Cox is presenting solo in Sydney tonight.

6 Likes

Blake Johnson presenting news in Melbourne this weekend with Natalie Yoannidis presenting sport.

7 Likes

Bethan Yeoman is actually pretty good, and doesn’t fill her stories with the unnecessary pauses that I hate so much. Mylee Hogan is pretty good too.

Any news on if/when Melina Sarris is returning? From memory she went on parental leave around Christmas last year.

6 Likes

I hate these as well, Airlie Walsh on Nine is a repeat offender.

1 Like