Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Friday 04th September:
Liz Cantor presented weather on QLD’s 4pm & 6pm news and the Gold Coast news, filling in for Paul Burt tonight.

Nice to see her on weather duties again.

8 Likes

Ann Sanders is back presenting Morning News and Afternoon News in Sydney this week.

8 Likes

Does Angela Cox work 7 days a week?

For the time being she works 6 days (Friday is her day off):

Monday-Thursday
News Updates on The Morning Show
Presenter of The Latest on a Monday (but regularly contributes to The Latest on the other nights)

Saturday-Sunday
5pm National News anchor

I assume when/if Angie Asimus returns from maternity leave, Ange will revert to 4-5 days a week

5 Likes

Angela Cox is presenting The Latest tonight

5 Likes

They should give Matt Doran or someone else a go on The Latest one of these nights that Michael Usher is away.

Nothing against Angela Cox, she’s great on this show, but surely at some point the hours she’s working will give in.

4 Likes

Who does Friday?

1 Like

Sally Bowrey.

3 Likes

Sorry, late to the convo on this one.

But I’m genuinely interested in knowing how his successor did with Seven’s News department. And wouldn’t have Terry overseen Today Tonight’s launch? Surely that would have been considered a success for him.

Also does anyone know who did succeed Terry Plane as the network news director?

Surely he has to be given credit for the rise of Seven News Adelaide at the turn of the millennium?

Most definitely, I’m just interested in his national profile however.

Same. I have no idea how he was able to help Seven News Adelaide become dominant in Adelaide when he failed miserably in Sydney.

I’d daresay that there are differences between being a national news director who oversees all production, and that of a city news director.

1 Like

Wednesday 9 September-

Jacqui Felgate is presenting sport on Morning News today.

5 Likes

Terry Plane was appointed Sydney news director in 1991 because of the success he’d had as director of news at Seven Adelaide, a position he’d later reclaim. He became network head of news and current affairs when Gerald Stone left in 1994.

Plane was sidelined from the role when Gary Rice started as Seven’s general manager and hired Jana Wendt, Anne Fulwood and Paul Barry to beef up Seven’s news credentials. Soon after Plane was removed during one of the networks cost cutting exercises and his role ceased to exist. The news directors from across Australia reported to David Broadbent, the Sydney news director, who reported to Gary Rice. The EP of Today Tonight became responsible for current affairs under the watchful eye of Rice.

Badly in Sydney and Melbourne. It continued to lurch from one disaster to another as they experimented with newsreaders and presentation. Witness failed and there was that expensive court case involving Jana Wendt.

Plane had attempted to move Real Life away from the successful formula Gerald Stone had established by making it more serious with less tabloid, consumer driven stories. When that didn’t work he blew it up and created Today Tonight. TT would go through several EPs and hosts under Plane’s tenure and he ultimately got the blame when it continued to fail. It wasn’t a success until much later.

3 Likes

Wow I actually did not know that Gerald Stone was a news director for Seven. All I really knew about him was that he was the founding EP of 60 Minutes.

So this would be referring to Gary Rice or David Broadbent?

I think his title was Network Head of Current Affairs. He created Real Life and was looking to establish a one hour weekly current affairs show for Seven.

Gary Rice was Seven CEO until the end of 1998. He was very hands on with news and current affairs and seemed to be calling the shots with regard to news and current affairs at that time.

2 Likes

Wednesday 9 September-

Andrew McCormack is presenting sport on Afternoon News in Melbourne today.

6 Likes

So something similar to 60 Minutes perhaps?

Sounds similar to Eddie McGuire for Nine in the mid 2000’s

Thursday 10th September -

Matt Shirvington presented sport on the Morning News, in addition to doing sport on Sunrise this morning.

6 Likes