Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

By far the silliest comment I’ve read on this site.

…and I read my own comments sometimes!

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:1758, topic:149”]
But I was being fair to Jennifer Keyte, for these important reasons:
[/quote]Yet all those others you listed (Grimshaw, Lee Lin Chin, Sully) have impressive milestones and career achievements of their own. All three are known nationally in some form or another - Keyte would be barely known outside of Melbourne. Meanwhile Sully is famous for her late news, Chin is a fashion icon and living meme, and Grimshaw has had national exposure on the Today Show and then ACA, both of which are/were ratings leaders nationally!

Waving away the achievements of others to praise Keyte is the pinnacle of Seven/Melbourne fanboyism.

8 Likes

Another two female newsreaders of a certain age to add to the list: Kay McGrath and Jane Doyle. Both having long careers in their respective markets, not just at Seven but Doyle had previously been at the ABC and McGrath at TV0.

4 Likes

b-but… Melbourne! Masterchef! Flagships!

runs

2 Likes

If ACA isn’t a flagship programme then Seven News Melbourne (Weekend) sure as hell isn’t.

7 Likes

Angela Cox presented Morning News today along with Early News and reading news on Sunrise.

EDIT- Also news updates on TDE today.

3 Likes

Realistically, Seven News Perth is probably more likely to see the likes of Nine News Sydney and Nine News Melbourne as being their main competition for the title of the most watched 6pm news bulletin on Australian TV rather than any news services on rival stations in their own market being competition for the coveted “Perth’s #1 News” title.

In any case, I agree with the commenters above. There are numerous examples of longserving female news presenters currently on Australian TV. I would probably also expect to see more longserving female news presenters on TV in the future, because more women have roles in TV news now than ever before (which is generally a good thing all round).

2 Likes

Blake Johnson also presenting Thursday & Friday Afternoon News in Melbourne.

Jacqueline only presented on Wednesday this week.

2 Likes

Sue also read the news for ABC Perth before joining TVW.
Shortly after she joined 7 news her then news partner Peter Waltham (with a few other senior 7 news staff) defected to 9 Perth, who then started to win the news ratings battle for several years before Rick & Sue regained the lead. Sue being half the reason for Seven regaining that lead.
She has indeed faced stiff opposition in a competitive market (and won) as well as faced the risk of losing her job in a market with many younger & quite capable presenters coming through, some of whom are now working in Sydney and Melbourne.
There would be similar stories to tell about some of Luke’s other also ran’s.
I think a little bit of research could have saved a rediculous post being made.

Certainly deserves legend of Oz TV status IMO.

Rant over :grinning:

4 Likes

If my Memory is correct Sue was the first women in Australia to present the 7pm news on the abc

1 Like

Apparently she was the 2nd. Margaret Throsby at ABN2 beat her by one day so I’m told.

3 Likes

Is Angela Cox trying to set some kind of record?

Am I right in saying she presented Early News at 5am today… Sunrise news between 5.30am and 9.10am… Morning News at 11.30am… Afternoon News at 4pm… Live cross outside Sydney court at 6.05pm… I’m just waiting to see if she is presenting tonight’s updates?

She has done a magnificent job these past few weeks.

8 Likes

She is an absolute rising star. Whoever had the idea to bring her back to host Weekend Sunrise when Monique went on maternity leave earlier this year (I assume a Michael Pell) definitely started something.

She deserves a permanent presenting gig. But which one? I don’t know. She really has kind of replaced Rebecca Maddern in the sense that she is the go to fill in without the complication of living in Melbourne. Hopefully they treat her better (with a permanent presenting position) or expect other networks to try and lure her.

7 Likes

Not that I’d ever like to see Natalie Barr replaced, but I reckon she would be perfect for news on Sunrise. But as she has shown, she can pretty much do anything.

Blake Johnson is much better than Jacqui or Nick McCallum (even though he’s no Rebecca Maddern). I knew HSV isn’t stupid (like ATN) enough to let a talent like that slip by.

4 Likes

@NewsKing plus Angela also presented the news updates on The Daily Edition between 2pm-3pm this afternoon.

@Tom_TV7 Blake will have the perfect opportunity to become well known in Melbourne if he is given the Afternoon News while Jacqueline is on maternity leave. Blake shows a lot of potential so hopefully he will be given more opportunities in the years to come to continue building up his profile with Melbourne viewers.

1 Like

I suppose she is used to the long hours after working as the US correspondent

1 Like

Michael Usher’s tweet from last night

Hats off to @angelacox7news who we think nailed a @7newsSydney record today by fronting every single bulletin from dawn to dusk!

16 Likes

Morning & national Afternoon News presenters this week-

Monday-Wednesday- Paul Kadak
Thursday & Friday -Angela Cox

US bureau chief Mike Amor returned from holidays this week.

2 Likes

Jim Wilson back from holidays on Sydney News last night.

And it’s back to Nine News for me.

2 Likes