Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Seriously dude, there is no way Seven are going to put Blake Johnson in the anchor chair for Seven News Sydney or Melbourne at the moment. He’s only 32. Yes, like I said he’s a great talent, but far too young for Sydney and Melbourne audiences. He needs to be groomed for that position over time.

7 Likes

Michael Usher would probably be the best newsreader to compete against Peter Overton. The problem is that in recent years, Seven have been becoming too dependent on Mark Ferguson as the main face of their news service and even the network in the Sydney market.

I also reckon Seven News Sydney could do a lot worse than seriously consider throwing the chequebook at some of the “rising star” presenters/reporters at Nine News Sydney - people like Jayne Azzopardi, Chris O’Keefe, Sophie Walsh, Kelly Fedor, Tiffiny Genders, etc.

Agreed. Maybe in 10-15 years time I could imagine Blake Johnson presenting Seven News Sydney or Melbourne (or even Perth, if he eventually decided to come home after building experience on the East Coast) but surely not anytime in the immediate future?

4 Likes

The current state of content in Seven News Sydney’s bulletins are ridiculous, Seven needs to find a news director who knows when to place stories in a major 6pm bulletin, at the moment it’s a joke.

After they eventually can sort themselves and the content out hopefully they can find another presenter who is more capable of presenting a 6pm bulletin.

3 Likes

Can I have some examples of what you mean by content in the bulletin that is ridiculous and it’s placement in the bulletin? I’m not sure of the content that you deem to be like this.

Stories about train station developments in the first block over bigger stories that is worthy of covering in the first block, how to slash your power bills, how to avoid speed cameras etc.

4 Likes

But why is story placement and order so important anyway? The stories will still air, does the order really matter?

1. These stories should not air
  2. The most newsworthy stories of the day (big national/local events) deserve to go first

Stop your defense of Seven. If they’re doing things in the wrong way then it’s wrong until it’s fixed.

6 Likes

Yes. Heaps!

9 Likes

Again seriously? Of corse it does.

I still think that Blake will be sent back to Perth to be the main anchor in the years ahead. What he is currently doing in Melbourne is for experience IMO.

In Melbourne, I think Seven will appoint Mike Amor as news anchor if Mitch was to leave today (ahead of Jen Keyte). They seem to value international field reporters.

As for Sydney, I have no idea. MAYBE Chris Bath might have the ability to competitively compete with Pete Overton but I would say she would need a massive campaign from the network.

4 Likes

I’m not trying to defend them, I’m just trying to ask a simple question!! You don’t need to attack me for it. And besides, is it only people like us who are passionate about TV and the media that care about such little details as where a story is placed in the bulletin? Would the everyday person care so long as they see the bloody story sometime in the hour between 6PM and 7PM? Shouldn’t it be if a story on a topic that should be covered doesn’t get covered at all that we should really be starting to get concerned?

Paul Burt is presenting Queensland’s weather this Sunday.

2 Likes

Story placement is very important in tv news.

5 Likes

No, I think this is more to do with sets, graphics and other cosmetic stuff. The actual meat of the bulletin does matter. Hence why you see the cries of “Fake News!” Or “Why isn’t the MSM covering this” etc.

It does depend on a few things but you want to start with your strongest story, although this has unfortunately in same cases changed to “what affects our viewer the most”. Then build from there downwards through the half hour or hour on air.

You also need to get a rhythm to it. You don’t want to go from a bloody murder of a family into a touching Make-A-Wish foundation story. Nor do you want to put a heap of crime stories in a row (or politics or whatever - too much of the same and people turn off).

There’s also the matter of ‘block’ leads (ie, the top of the bulletin is your A block, after the first set of ads it’s the B block and so on, but that’s another matter for another day.

As for

I believe, yes they would. Maybe not everyone actively but certainly on a subconscious level at the very least. If you’re playing a story at 6:23pm, then you’re telling the viewer it’s not as important as the preceding 23 minutes worth of stories.

7 Likes

The order of stories can be totally polarising for viewers. If you start off with a story that viewers don’t care about or don’t think is important enough, they are changing the channel. Who on earth would sit down at 6pm to watch news about the Easter show first when there has been a major crime story in their neighboring sunburb.

3 Likes

Now I understand, thank you so much for the detailed explanation @OnAir.

Of course there are limits to what I think is acceptable too and I think it would be crazy for something like this to happen. Not even Sydney’s news has done this before from what I’ve seen; their Easter show story from the duration of the Easter show mostly aired in what I believe is the ‘C block’ of the news after 6:30 so you have to praise them for getting most of these things right.

1 Like

Emily Angwin is filling in for Jacqui Felgate this afternoon.

4 Likes

He filed another report today:

https://twitter.com/7newssydney/status/991562735178534912

Channel 7 Sydney reporter accused of violent threats to Queensland staff

A senior Channel Seven reporter has arrived at the television station with his lawyers after being accused of graphic and violent threats to junior staff.

The Sydney-based reporter allegedly made threats to a junior reporter and producer at a regional Channel 7 office in Queensland.

https://twitter.com/NewsTalk4BC/status/991859451098419200

6 Likes

My guess was it had something to do with the Todd Carney and the North Queensland Cowboys story. The Daily Telegraph has named the reporter and claims he has been stood down pending an investigation.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/channel-7-journo-josh-massoud-threatened-to-slit-colleagues-throat/news-story/06f82d9c4bd26d8fcaaef2e633d08abd

1 Like