Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Had a look at the ratings of Seven News and Nine News Melbourne. It is actually quite clear that viewers prefer watching Jennifer Keyte rather than Tony Jones and the ratings reflect that, and as Hitch is probably considering retirement very soon, Seven Melbourne will probably gain an upper hand on Nine News Melbourne presenter-wise sooner or later, as Jen or even Mitch is much better than TJ.

Also I wonder if Seven Melbourne is brave enough to say that if Pete was to fall over one day, Jen would definitely become Seven Melbourne’s No.1 newsreader…

2 Likes

I find it very highly unlikely that TJ will replace hitch when he retires.

1 Like

I don’t want TJ to replace Hitch, but it’s quite obvious he is being groomed for the role, otherwise they would’ve gotten someone else to fill Hitch’s spot (should’ve got Bec Maddern).

3 Likes

Whilst when Seven News has been winning this week with Keyte, I noticed Tony Jones remained ahead of Peter Mitchell last week. But I do agree, that when Pete retires Seven News Melbourne will get the upper hand unless a decent replacement is found (Bec Maddern is that person IMO).

2 Likes

I don’t want him either. Madden said she didn’t want to enter back into a news role for now when she originally signed up for the footy show.

1 Like

I’m not sure what Melbournians think but from the very little I’ve seen of your news services (for obvious reasons), I’d probably have to say that I’d watch Nine News if I lived down there. I also get the general impression that just as the case is here in Sydney, Nine News has a considerably stronger presenting/reporting team in Melbourne compared to Seven’s.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Jen herself approaching retirement age? I don’t think I could predict who’s likely to be the main faces of Seven News Melbourne in a post Mitchell/Keyte-era, probably not good for something which will probably happen within the next 5-10 years or so.

Oh man, that would be an extremely sad news bulletin! :cry:

But when the time comes, I’d imagine that (in no particular order, of course) Tony Jones, Alicia Loxley and Brett McLeod would be the most likely candidates to become Peter Hitchener’s successor.

2 Likes

I’d be fine with Alicia or Brett. I just can’t stand TJ. but yes, I would agree on saying that 9 has the stronger team in Melbourne. It’s a shame that Madden left 7 and Nick Etchels too.

4 Likes

@SydneyCityTV Peter and Jen are both 56 so many years to go before talk of retirement. If Bec Maddern remained at the network she would have been a potential successor.Jen once said when her presenting days are over so would work in radio.
Personally l prefer Jen over Peter so l watch Seven News this time of the year,won’t watch Tony Jones!
@Tom_TV7 Tony has been Hitch’s fill in since 2010 and l believe he will be Hitch’s eventual successor ,l have never been a fan of Tony but Nine are making it pretty obvious it will happen.Hitch’s current contract still has about 2 or 3 years left.
Rebecca moved her career in a new direction when she joined Nine but l hope one day she returns to news.

2 Likes

Melbourne weather presenter, Jane Bunn is now on holidays. Emily Angwin steps in to present weather from Monday

4 Likes

Finally! We can get rid of the 8-Day Outlook rubbish from Jane.

2 Likes

Worst thing ever that 8-day weather forecast. So bloody pointless.

Bring back Brownie! Bring back Brownie!

2 Likes

Agreed, Melbournians definitely need someone like Brownie back. But the thing is Seven’s management believes that Seven Sydney’s only advantage over Nine is their weather presenter (meteorologist). I mean, David Brown vs Amber Sherlock, who would you rather watch for weather?

3 Likes

David Brown is probably one of the only advantages that Seven News Sydney has over Nine News Sydney, even if the transition from Sarah Cumming to him probably could’ve been handled better.

I certainly wouldn’t say that the main news and sports presenters on Seven News Sydney are superior to their counterparts on Nine.

Amber Sherlock is fine as a weather presenter for Nine News Sydney. Her main fill-in on the other hand…

I’m just finally getting around to watching the 10 to 1 news special from a couple of weeks ago and I can’t believe how lucky David Brown is to even be here! On a bus that reached the edge of the Tasman Bridge in Hobart when it collapsed. So lucky.

Disappointed they didn’t show Peter Mitchell’s update announcing Princess Di’s death to Australia during an AFL match.

2 Likes

I get the feeling Hitch isn’t close to retirement. He likes to keep busy.

3 Likes

Nick McCallum presenting in Melbourne again this weekend.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t Seven Nightly News still smashed by National Nine News when Jennifer Keyte was presenting Weeknights and Mitch was presenting weekends?

@Tom_TV7 Back in the early 1990"s Nine News with the late Brian Naylor would have been the number 1 up against Jen.I’m talking my personal favourite newsreader at Seven who is Jen,despite the ratings!

2 Likes

BRISBANE

Saturday (10.12.16) : Katrina Blowers is anchoring solo.
Sunday (11.10.16): Katrina Blowers is anchoring with Rohan Welsh on sport. Laura Dymock is presenting the weather.

At least she’s better than Darren and Alison.

2 Likes