Seven News Content and Appearance

7NEWS celebrates The Queen’s Jubilee

A celebration fit for a Queen

Four days of royal events on Seven and 7plus

Get out the good china and string up your Union Jack bunting, as Australia prepares to celebrate Her Majesty, The Queen’s birthday and Platinum Jubilee this week on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Over four magical days, royal watchers will have a front-row seat to all the pomp and pageantry planned to mark Queen Elizabeth’s historic 70-year reign and June birthday festivities - kicking off with this year’s Trooping The Colour - in a dazzling telecast 8.30pm tonight on Channel 7 (Sydney/Brisbane) and 7two (Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth).

Weekend Sunrise co-host Monique Wright will join Seven’s European bureau chief Hugh Whitfeld and UK correspondent Sarah Greenhalgh in London to bring viewers the breaking news from inside the Palace, where excitement – and controversy – is building toward the all-star Platinum Party At The Palace from 7.00pm this Sunday on Seven.

In one of the most hotly-anticipated appearances since their Windsor wedding in 2018, royal rebels Prince Harry and wife, Meghan, will be the star attractions during Thursday’s parade of carriages, with a cavalcade of senior royals travelling from the Palace, along The Mall to the Horse Guards’ parade grounds and back again.

With the streets of London expected to be lined with more than 10,000 loyal fans and onlookers, the monarch’s annual birthday parade is set to be watched by close to a billion people around the globe and will feature fun-size puppet corgis and a giant 3D wire bust of the Queen along the three-kilometre route.

In a break from tradition, Queen Elizabeth is expected to take the salute from her military guards from the Buckingham Palace balcony – handing the horseback duties to Prince William, who is expected to be resplendent in the Irish Guard uniform he wore to marry Kate Middleton 11 years ago.

A less mobile monarch will be surrounded by her 73-year-old son and heir, Prince Charles and his wife Camilla; Duchess Kate and the three Cambridge children; as well as Princess Anne and Prince Edward with their spouses.

Notably missing from the famed balcony snapshot will be the Sussexes and exiled Prince Andrew, who has been banished behind the scenes since being linked to the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal.

Sunrise and Weekend Sunrise viewers will catch up on all the royal family action, with Wright to report during the breakfast programs and The Morning Show .

On Sunday night, join Michael Usher on 7NEWS Spotlight for the gala concert, starring Sir Elton John, Sir Rod Stewart, Alicia Keys, Queen + Adam Lambert, Diana Ross and a galaxy of stars set to perform during the 2.5-hour extravaganza.

7NEWS Special: Trooping The Colour

8.30pm tonight on Channel 7, 7two and 7plus

7NEWS Spotlight: Platinum Party At The Palace, 7.00pm Sunday on Channel 7 and 7plus

For full royal coverage, watch Sunrise from 6.00am

3 Likes

The NSW regional weather map was extended and moved across the state tonight, rather than just being one static map shot:

7 Likes

I wondered if that was new. Makes you wonder if they’ll phase out those weekend Prime weather updates with Craig Moore if they intend to cover the entire state in more detail during the flagship 6pm bulletin.

6 Likes

Also could mean Prime7 News at 6.30 will be dropped for a truncated Sydney 6pm ala 7 Queensland.

@dutymainttech Is there any particular reason 7Qld hasn’t entered the Gold Coast market? I know 7 has a bulletin there now, but for years they struggled. Even Prime was short lived. Rob Brough is widely popular across the rest of Queensland and I’ve always wondered if they might have had some success against 9 with him at the helm and 7Qld’s community sense?

1 Like

7 Queensland doesn’t have a station on the Gold Coast - its part of the Brisbane metro market.

9 Likes

Well Prime Gold Coast News was around for 8 years but the first incarnation of Seven Gold Coast News was around for 1.5 years.

It could technically fall under the 7QLD budget in the future but Gold Coasters want to see someone local because it’s what they’re used to.

It’s Australia’s 6th largest city (after Adelaide) so a pre-recorded bulletin read from the Sunshine Coast (a smaller city than the Gold Coast) wouldn’t cut it against Nine who are live n’ local.

1 Like

Agree, and for a market of 600,000+ people, Gold Coast News should be Live and Local. I reckon next to no chance of Rob Brough presenting it from the Sunshine Coast. Probably a greater chance that 7QLD bulletins would be moved to Brisbane or Gold Coast.

I’d say nothing would happen until Rob Brough decides he’s had enough or the lease on their Sunshine Coast building expires. Whatever happens sooner.

Believe it or not but Rob is part of the reason the Local News bulletins in regional Queensland have been successful while WIN forces Lincoln Humphries to present out of the state.

If Rob decides he suddenly wants to return to the Gold Coast (even though he hasn’t lived there since the mid 80s when he was on local radio) then perhaps, but he’ll be reading 1 bulletin instead of 7.

Have you seen Rob read? I know he’s popular in regional Qld because he’s been there so long, but no way could his presentation be up to standard for the Gold Coast.

Plus adding ANOTHER bulletin to 7Q’s workload?

There’s nothing better than what they have now. I was asking in the 20 years between the short-lived Seven bulletin in the 90s and the 2016 launch whether Seven ever considered re-entering the market and whether it was possible to do so via their regional affiliate. Pre-recorded would have better than no presence at all.

Gold Coast is bigger and more profitable than the other markets. (BTW, I was talking about 20-25 years ago and that’s I originally posted it in the historical thread).

Seven ended up expanding their Gold Coast presence during the 6pm Queensland news instead. They thought this was more a wise financial decision than starting a brand new bulletin.

Showing a pre-recorded local news on the Gold Coast would show a lack of understanding of the Gold Coast market. This isn’t Wagga Wagga or Cairns and the thought would be immediately rejected by audiences.

The competition on Nine has been presented live and from Surfers Paradise (except for a time it was presented from Brisbane in 2006-2008) for over 26 years. It also has Nine Newsreading Icon Bruce Paige who’s been there over a decade now.

Nine has had the head start. Seven didn’t want to spend the money but decided the city had grown enough to be given another chance on the Gold Coast.

Rod Young was known already by a Seven News audience and it has given a profile to Amanda Abate.

I personally think Steve Titmus is wrong for this bulletin but he seems a competent presenter. I would have gone with someone known on the Gold Coast like Richard Fowler (who ironically was the last Prime Gold Coast Newsreader before it was axed) but I guess it gives Steve a full time Newsreading gig.

1 Like

I actually quite like Steve, he is a great reporter, and a pretty good presenter too.

The team will be well established by the time Bruce retires.

Gemma Acton gets fiscal

New podcast series from Seven’s Finance Editor

7NEWS today announced the launch of Let’s Get Fiscal, a new podcast series hosted by the Seven Network’s Finance Editor Gemma Acton, who will delve deep into the latest money trends, explain complex financial lingo and unpack money matters making news headlines.

The bi-weekly series, to stream Tuesday and Friday, will introduce Australians to the latest in finance news, improve understanding of their money and, more importantly, how to make it work better for them.

Episodes will draw on Acton’s extensive understanding of the burning financial issues, as well as feature interviews with industry experts and consumer advocates .

Acton said: “This podcast gives us the time and space to really explain those terms and topics regularly seen in the news, but not everyone fully understands.

“It’s a chance for our audiences to really get to the heart of what’s happening with money, cost of living, bills and emerging finance technologies.”

Acton draws on more than 18 years’ experience in the finance sector, working in investment banking and asset management for companies such as Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch.

She was a correspondent for CNBC and now regularly appears on 7NEWS bulletins across Australia, Sunrise , The Morning Show and The Latest .

Let’s Get Fiscal is anchored by ACRA award-winner Damien Haffenden, who boasts he has no background in finance, making him the perfect guide through consumer issues. “I’m the dollar dunce, so I’m learning along with everyone else in this podcast,” he said.

The first two episodes are available now, including a one-on-one interview with Australian tech entrepreneur and billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes, who recently made headlines for leading the successful campaign to thwart the demerger of energy company AGL.

Let’s Get Fiscal is available on all major podcast platforms, including Acast, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts and iHeartRadio.

Listen and subscribe to Let’s Get Fiscal here

5 Likes

Wonder if any of this content will end up on Seven or stay on that platform?

She does very good work on The Latest.

3 Likes

There was a report last night on Minjee Lee winning the US Open and they showed footage of her final shot. Just as the ball is rolling towards the cup the graphic showing the reporter’s name appeared on the right hand side of the screen, completely blocking the vision of the ball going into the cup!

3 Likes

Seven’s news flash was brief at less than 2 minutes.

8 Likes

These podcasts dont last long, same with their social media news. Didn’t hear anything about that lol

2 Likes

Gee that lasted long didn’t it! :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Hardly any different.

Are they still using the old music?