Regional TV History (pre-aggregation)

Can’t tell if that’s Albury or Wagga Wagga?

I’m guessing they were tweaked slightly depending if it was AMV or RVN Local News.

1 Like

It’s got both station names on it, no need to tweak it.

So some random shops in Albury resonates with the people of Kooringal and Turvey Park?

There were 2 separate local news bulletins produced. One each in Albury and Wagga Wagga except in 1987.

He was I’m sure referring to the station name - RVN/AMV.

1 Like

its Albury and from memory both were the same (sorry same logo)

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven News Content and Appearance

Where i volunteer at, the bulding has an exbition on 6 news here in western vic

13 Likes

6 News you say? :eyes:

10 Likes

Very cool!

I’m not sure that’s entirely true. All Victorian regionals (including Prime) switched from relaying Seven News to National Nine News in 1987, five years before aggregation. Prime switched back a year later when HSV returned to a half-hour news.

I’m not sure that Seven was a dominant program source, either. When you consider that the regionals pretty much all took up Nine shows like Midday, ACA, Sale Of The Century, 60 Minutes, Hey Hey It’s Saturday, Sunday plus WWOS, cricket, Days Of Our Lives… that’s a lot of airtime of Nine content, plus whatever movies or US shows it ran from Nine.

Certainly Nine didn’t have a programming monopoly but for example at the time that Southern Cross was hoping to get the Nine affiliation in Victoria, it was reported that around 55 per cent of its schedule was based on Nine-sourced programming, according to one of the trade magazines (I think it was AdNews). So when VIC TV scored Nine and SCN had to go with Ten, it meant SCN losing a large chunk of programming that they’d been showing for years. Possibly evidenced by the fact that from day one of aggregation, VIC TV pretty much dominated the ex-Southern Cross markets.

5 Likes

Really? I would have though regional Victoria would have been more loyal to WIN as it’s foundations lie in BTV6 Ballarat where local news and many programs were produced from. Prime never existed pre aggregation.

Also Mal Walden’s ch7 news was never carried on Prime. It was broadcast on the former SCA and WIN owned stations throughout the 70/80s.

1 Like

AMV did carry Seven News from Melbourne during the 1980s, up until switching to Nine in 1987 as noted in above post.

2 Likes

I was more alluding to everywhere else (the majority of the state) excluding AMV on the border.

In early 1977, BTV6 did carry 7 news. I remember watching it when in Ballarat for a holiday.

I think in 1980, STV8 Mildura carried 7 news as well. In those days, STV8 was part of a network which included BCV8 Bendigo and GLV10 (later GLV8) Gippsland so they would have all carried the same news bulletin.

Also, while not Victoria, TVT6 Hobart carried the 7 news from Melbourne in the early 1980’s, at least on weekends, not sure about weekdays. I also remember seeing a local bulletin, so maybe they had both.

2 Likes

We know…. It’s been stated above.

TVT6 and TNT9 i think just sourced news stories from Seven they didn’t relay full bulletins AFAIK. Same sort of deal that NTD8 had in Darwin when it linked in to the microwave link in regional Qld that had access to Nine (and later Seven) news stories from Brisbane.

Was the Seven affiliation ever in play for either Southern Cross or VIC TV?, or was the Seven affiliation always going to go to AMV?

1 Like

I would say AMV being it was owned by RVN which was the original station of the Prime network being RVN/AMV.

2 Likes

I think Prime nailed down Seven well in advance for its NSW and Victorian markets. Wasn’t until 1989 that Vic TV came to a deal with Nine, then owned by Alan Bond, at the same time it bought STV8 from Bond Media. Sounds like a package deal :smile:

4 Likes

Have just found the article, from AdNews, 20 April 1990. Two years ahead of aggregation in Victoria but Southern Cross is already declaring it won’t be financially viable as a Ten affiliate, with an alternative proposal to fund an SBS relay in the market in lieu of any commercial operators. Sure, why not :woozy_face:

Vic TV, despite being just signed up with Nine, is also concerned at the cost of aggregation in a recession and government rebates not going far enough. There is also concern that being forced onto the UHF band instead of being allowed to run its major transmission sites on VHF in its new markets is going to also add to running costs.

This article was part of a special feature of the magazine devoted entirely to regional Victoria, when I get a chance I will get some more articles or ads from it.

10 Likes