Seven News Content and Appearance

Precisely.

Seven would be down the gurgler if Perth wasn’t holding up so strong. Take Perth away and they can kiss the network goodbye.

9 Likes

Understatement.

It would make no difference at all.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, you can keep pushing your POV but you will continue to show yourself as a dolt.

9 Likes

They could move the Perth presenters to Melbourne or Sydney (and do something that Ten did in the early-mid 2000s) but firstly, why change something that works well for them. Also they probably wouldn’t move and the cost savings are minimal.

1 Like

Why do we think Seven is no 1 in Perth and Adelaide? Their success is due to both Stations being extremely local. I would highly not recommend changing this.

8 Likes

Tim doesn’t seem to be prepared… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I like the thing they have going where the blue from the set continues onto the main screen and fizzles out. But it needs to be shorter, and the black edge of the screen kind of ruins the effect. Why they didn’t hide the edge of the screen behind the white frame is anyone’s guess.

4 Likes

What difference would it make in all seriousness?

Oh I don’t know, perhaps because Perth is a state capital of the country’s largest state by land area with its own local politics which are independent from the QLD or NSW state politics which might interest residents of Townsville & Tamworth?

Last I checked, something like 2 million residents live in Perth - not on the scale of Sydney or Melbourne, sure. But still a significant enough market for there to be proper live, locally produced TV news services from multiple networks.

If Seven News Perth was presented from Sydney, it’d loose a significant amount of that local, live, immediate feel that any news service in a major metropolitan market should have.

While Sydneysiders would never ever accept what is supposed to be a local TV news bulletin for them being presented interstate (aside from very rare and unprecedented circumstances, such as during an emergency situation), neither should residents of Perth or any other major city in Australia.

8 Likes

If such a move was ever considered by one of the big two, then it would surely have to be Nine instead of Seven. They’re rating poorly there and they would be more likely to shift their news production to the East Coast if it was ever considered.

I think Seven moving Perth production elsewhere is actually a bad decision from an economic perspective. Their revenue and income thrives on Perth being successful and without that the network would go broke, so it’s actually a worse decision to shift production of Perth news elsewhere.

2 Likes

Agree.

If Seven were to ever close down one of the newsrooms from the 5 major cities, it would probably be Adelaide.

1 Like

And not even Adelaide considering they’re winning there too. The fat that might be trimmed would surely be somewhere that they’re not gaining any tractions (for example Gold Coast).

1 Like

Yep, I agree. Not that I’d ever want either to happen of course, but you’d think Nine would consider streamlining NBN News into the Southern NSW/ACT edition of Nine News Local before Perth’s news operations are severely cut back on.

Well said.

Yeah, the Gold Coast and Regional Queensland (perhaps going the way of Nine News Local and doing one bulletin for all regional areas of the state) are probably the places where I think Seven would cut back on first.

That’s one option, but as long as Nine have a GC bulletin, Seven most likely will to.

Another option is to make the 4pm bulletin national (with the exception of Perth still receiving a local bulletin). Unfortunately though, we’d probably lose high profile presenters such as Mike Amor and Kendall Gilding (even though Mike would still have the Fri/Sat 6pm bulletin, I doubt they’d keep him on the payroll for only 2 days a week, so they’d probably make him redundant and put Blake Johnson into that slot).

But once again, Seven tends to act off the back of Nine, so as long as Nine have local 4pm bulletins, Seven will too.

Just a brief correction, Global TV’s western stations (BC, Calgary, Edmonton) still have live and local newscasts from their studios 7 days a week in all day parts because they are holding up the rest of the network (revenue and ratings).

3 Likes

If they were going to trim anything further, surely it would be their regional newsrooms and opt for a similar setup to Nine News Local.

2 Likes

Are you trolling? You keep asking the same stupid question. Do you still not get it?

2 Likes

Finally. Someone else has realised.

6 Likes

This may have more to do with the timezone difference between the Western Provinces and Toronto. News Finale airs past 12am Toronto time in those cities. Prime7 has remained number one in most of their markets despite pre recording all their broadcasts from a central location, in my proposal, the Perth news could be read live from the East Coast.