Seven News Content and Appearance

This is just confusing at this point (note: last time I checked John Riddell has been retired since 2019).

Found on 7plus

Looks to be made recently as well judging by the logo

6 Likes

John making a return? :rofl: But seriously, What is wrong with 7plus?

5 Likes

QLD Modified Coming up graphics

Gold Coast graphics - flashing blue and green.

4 Likes

Brisbane sport from QLD Sports Awards

6 Likes

Pretty sure Peter Mitchell said at the end of the Melb bulletin tonight that there’d be a special edition of The Latest tonight straight after The Front Bar. Instead they’re showing America’s Got Talent as scheduled :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Updates I think.

1 Like

The broadcast schedule for Seven’s coverage of Bathurst 1000 was revealed yesterday, which shows that the main race on Sunday (December 5) will conclude at 7pm AEDT, leading into the Big Bash League season opener between Sydney Sixers and Melbourne Stars (which starts at 7.15pm). Won’t it mean Seven News will be shown on a multichannel in Sydney and Melbourne at 6pm while the Bathurst race reaches the final laps?

2 Likes

Nope.

3 Likes

21 seasons of Seven News. Interesting.

7 Likes

Season 2021 it would mean.

4 Likes

The BBL season opener has a 7:35pm AEDT start time so it’ll begin right after Seven News.

5 Likes

Brisbane: A rare win for Seven in Brisbane last week. Unfortunately, it was a disappointing result overall in 2021. In a big turn around in viewing habits, Seven had won 2019 29 - 11 weeks while Nine won last year 26-14 to increase its lead this year with 32 - 8 wins.

Seven News Brisbane have been winning less weeks each year since 2019. Time to change things up. What can be done to improve the bulletin in 2022?

2 Likes

It’s a little tricky to suggest things for Seven Brisbane to work on. This is considering that they still present as a better alternative to Nine News Queensland, at least in our eyes.

From what I understand, ABC News Brisbane hasn’t made any huge advancements in the ratings. This means that Seven needs to work on either enticing Nine’s audiences, or bring in people who aren’t really watching the news these days.

I just want to clarify that changing presenters is an invalid argument. Max and Sharyn are definitely not to blame for any falls. And, while many would have been saddened at Kay McGrath’s final bulletin, Katrina Blowers has rated pretty well on weekends. Kendall Gilding is also popular for the afternoon hour. Changes like this would only have justified years ago, when these presenters just started their roles. Obviously they have been in their positions for quite a while now…

With all that said, I would suggest two things.

a) More exclusive stories to attract audiences always helps.

But the more important thing?

b) More interaction across Queensland with their audience. Special outside broadcast bulletins and weather presenters actually connecting with the community, not just presenting on a desolate beach… COVID only began its course in Australia after 2019, and it seems to correlate with Seven’s declining ratings as well. As more restrictions came in, there was less chance to engage with viewers. Seven should hope they can renew themselves in 2022.

4 Likes

The issue is though the Queensland viewing public clearly doesn’t think that’s the case considering Seven News has been going backwards over the last few years (in terms of weeks won).

While we might not like their style, Nine News’ sensationalist approach (rightly or wrongly) clearly appeals to Queensland viewers in a way Seven’s more ‘restrained’ approach doesn’t.

1 Like

The biggest problem is that Seven News Queensland is presenting themselves as a ‘poor man’ version of Nine News Queensland minus the visual bells and whistles. Seven should concentrate on running their own race and that is to really use their resources to large scale, worthy investigations that will put Nine’s washing powder hacks to shame. Either that or they do a complete Nine News Queensland and go full tabloid. At the moment they’re in some weird space between the likes of ABC/10 and Nine and it’s not resonating with Queensland viewers.

That said, I reckon Queenslanders would’ve hardly forgotten how Kay and Rod were essentially shafted (for whatever bizarre reason back in 2013) and have abandoned them ever since.

3 Likes

7 wins across regional Queensland due to their local news service. The problem isn’t across the state, it’s in Brisbane itself.

Also, although 9 has won most weeks, most days the numbers are quite tight.

2 Likes

My 7plus, set to Sydney, is receiving Melbourne’s Afternoon News today. The normal TV is showing Ann Sanders.

1 Like

I believe 7 Plus use your ip address in part to determine your location so it is possible that you have been allocated an ip address that according to Seven’s database indicates that you are located in Melbourne. Not easy to fix on a computer as it is harder to spoof your location. You could try rebooting your router it may allocate you a different IP address not located in Melbourne.

5 Likes

Oops. As seen at 11:30 am Morning News.

4 Likes

Max on location tonight “live from the flood zone” in Warwick.

8 Likes