Seven News Content and Appearance

Weather alert wipe:

Sydney promo with both Fergo and Usher:

40 sec version of the promos:

7 Likes

TvTonight have also announced for the first time that 7 News Melbourne have officially lost to 9 News Melbourne in the afternoon time slot for the year. I believe this a first.

Clearly trying to cater for an Adelaide audience maybe taking a toll on the direction of the bulletin.

6 Likes

Is it though? I mean the inclusion of Adelaide is recent so I don’t there loss should be attributed to that. Nine has just produced a well thought, consistent product at 4pm compared to 7.

5 Likes

Yes, the Seven Melbourne bulletins do look quite messy. They’ve messed up 6pm, and the changes were brought to 4pm, also making that bulletin unpolished. Although with 4pm, notice they do quite a lot more interviews, one of their strengths right now.

Note there is actually a lack of Adelaide content - most of it still caters to Melbourne audiences. But yes in terms of appearance it is taking a toll.

1 Like

In terms of Melbourne’s 4pm bulletin and the introduction of Adelaide content:

• Jacqui Felgate/Mike Amor say before the first ad break something along the lines of “coming to you live right around Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania”, which I wouldn’t think is off putting, to Victorian viewers.
• There is usually an Adelaide story in the second segment with an Adelaide reporter, but it is usually about something such as the coronavirus so it doesn’t turn away Victorian viewers
• Every now and again there is a live cross, in usually the first segment, to the Adelaide newsroom where someone such as Mark Mooney or Andrea Nicholas is sitting in the newsroom

Overall, I think the 4pm bulletin has a gone a bit backwards this year by being a bit “overproduced” and just too many uneccessary features. Although the interviews they have been doing have been good. I don’t like how they start with the really dark coloured background on the screen with a standing presentation, when it’s still daylight outside, I’d rather they’re sitting at the desk with the background they used in 2019 with that river.

I don’t know why they just can’t do it like they did in 2019 where it starts with “Live from Melbourne, this is Seven’s Afternoon News with…”. Then the presenter says “Good afternoon it’s 4 o’clock and here’s what making news this afternoon/here’s our headlines this afternoon.” And then it throws to the news headlines and in to the first story.

I personally think the standing presentation and the whole Seven News at Four or the @ 4PM is a bit much.

2 Likes

I didn’t get that from the article - just that the average weekly audience is just higher for Nine at the moment.

Melbourne has modified the live shot background. Left side camera has panned to the left to show more of Flinders street station and the Yarra. Also that hideous light blue graphic divider of the two cameras has been changed to dark blue.

Looks better but still would rather the Yarra shot as a panoramic. Surely it wouldn’t be that hard!

It seems the have also dropped the red on the desk which is a mistake. It should feature more red!

5 Likes

This social graphic is MUCH better

4 Likes

That dark blue strip on the videowall is a lot better but still a bit offputting. Agree that they should just use one long liveshot (honestly Nine News should be doing the same thing with their videowall).

Which red on the desk?

It could be just that angle but the red lighting that runs across the bottom of the desk.

1 Like

I highly doubt the Adelaide aspect has had any affect.

The quality of Melbourne content has dropped considerably in the last 12 months.

Every aspect of the bulletins has gone to sh*t and it is reflected in the ratings.

Too much chopping and changing, daily technical or super errors and that is just to start.

3 Likes

Hideous is the only word to describe it! Awful!

Did they say that 9 had won the afternoon slot? They said it had edged ahead of 7…

5 Likes

Rookie error

Lost a lot of experience in front of and behind the camera and it shows every night.

Compared to Nine News where it’s a polished product with minimal changes.

3 Likes

9 is a class act and don’t tweak things for the sake of it. Any changes are incremental, not scattergun. Viewers don’t like scattergun.

5 Likes

Seems like the director tonight won’t let go of the light blue bar. It’s back… :man_facepalming:t2:

10 Likes

Alternate Universe: Seven Nightly News - 1999

2 Likes