Seven News Content and Appearance

I really think claiming that during the Olympics is such a non event (the news ratings not the olympics) as of course they are going to be inflated. Watch them drop right back once the games are over. People will go back to their previous habits.

They are fools for doing this haha it’s almost embarrassing they they are clutching at this.

8 Likes

A win is a win. People have a choice. They can easily choose to change to Nine at 6pm and go back to 7 at 7. Just like people would leave 7 at 6pm to go to 7Two to continue Olympics.

6 Likes

My point is they are saying Number 1 in 2021 which is wrong. It’s based off inflated figures and 2 weeks of the year. It’s embarrassing spin.

3 Likes

Ah well. Like you said. Next week everyone will be back to Eddie, Pete and Tracy!

4 Likes

Anyone who’s followed Australian TV ratings for an extended period of time should know there’s an historic trend of viewers leaning towards the host broadcaster’s news service (likely for the exclusive unlimited Games coverage) at Olympics time before habits inevitably return to normal.

Even during the 1990s/Early 2000s when Nine was otherwise the unbeatable #1 network on the East Coast at most other times, “Australia’s Olympic Network” (Seven) would usually win during the games.

Agreed. Just watch the pendulum swing back in Nine’s favour on the East Coast post-Olympics what with The Block coming up and a NRL Finals series that every Sydneysider might have to watch at home.

I thought that was correct based on their statements

The recent high caps a strong year for 7NEWS, which has won every single week of the survey ratings year across the capital cities and nationally.

Given there are only 40 weeks in the year and Seven have won 23, they have won the year based on number weeks won. Nine must agree with this way of assessing a win because they made a similar statement about winning Sydney. Seven have also won the calendar year with 29 weeks won out of possible 53 this year

Weeks won - 2021 ratings

Weeks won - 2021

5 Likes

It’s not embarrassing spin. They pay a lot of money for it and put a lot of resources in to it. They deserve to blow their own trumpet.

Sure! Ok.
Just like they are reviewing their own 7plus app on the 7NEWS website. Blowing the trumpet is right

1 Like

I am most positive that any other network achieving these audiences would be spinning the same shit. It’s good publicity.

Rare in studio report on Gold Coast News with Josh Ribarich.

7 Likes

Alright Mr 7PR team

I’m not on the PR team. But if your PR team was sitting back not pumping out stories of their success during the Olympics… then they are not doing their job properly.

2 Likes

Alright mate we get it. Literally every thread you come out defending 7. It’s ok.
We can all disagree… I still stand by what I said, you think you know better… that’s fine.

You could put any show between the olympics coverage at 6pm and it would still rate higher than usual. It’s surrounded by a high viewing environment, it’s of course going to raise. But crowing about it during the olympics is pointless because the figures are inflated. It’ll go back to how it was next week.

So if you worked in PR at 7 you’d take the 2 weeks off then would you?

The event the network paid millions for doesn’t count so the PR dept should just ignore it? Is that what you’re suggesting?

3 Likes

Look I’m not going to keep going on and on about this. I would rather they focus on more detail about the viewers across the olympics and a breakdown of what streams and times have been the highest viewed etc. The fact the olympics is doing so well is quite a good news story considering and that’s where they should be sharing more detailed data.

However, marveling about raised news figures during the olympics when, yet again I’ll say it, olympics bookends 6pm is not the marvel that they are claiming it is. You could put a rerun of MASH there and it would likely do the same.

You clearly have a vested interest in Seven and again I’m not going to keep repeating myself. I have the opinion of what they are making a big news story really isn’t - it’s inflated numbers with the run off from Olympics and then back into it, which will last 2 weeks that’s it.
You want to keep prodding me to “covert me” to your thinking and I’m disagreeing. It’s my opinion and I can have that, and others appear to agree based on the likes from my first post about it.
The end.

3 Likes

Whatever the reason for inflated numbers, you have reason to report it.

If that’s an Aus Open lead in, the F1 lead in, Melbourne Cup, NRL, AFL… whatever the reason networks pay a price for premium sport for this very reason.

I don’t particularly care if you disagree with me but this is the reality of the situation. Any organisation is entitled to celebrate their successes under any circumstances. And anyone worth their salt would agree (MS minions aside).

3 Likes

Yes which I am well aware of… a lot more then you would know….

But we don’t see yearly sporting events bump news numbers or have viewing figures for it consistently to the level that the olympics does. Because it’s such a wall to wall event, it bumps the overall share and inflates those news figures.
You can’t come out swinging saying you’re the number 1 news service of the year based off that. The optics of it are bad.
Facts or not. It looks stupid and it doesn’t work in the advertising sector to sell to agencies. They just seem foolish to do so, they won’t buy it.

Year events like AFL, Tennis etc are a different case because it’s a consistent fixture yearly.

As well as that you don’t see Nine claiming they are the number 1 news of the year during the tennis do you? It contributes to the years figures… yearly

1 Like

We see the AFL bump 7 News Melbourne every Sunday. The same with the other sports I mentioned. Olympics is of course condensed over the course of 2 weeks and is perhaps the most premium of sports (depending on the timezone).

Just to remind you though, you’ve come out and said it is embarrassing that 7 would do a media release declaring they are number 1 nationally in 2021 (fact). They have coupled this with the fact they have had record numbers during the Olympics (fact).

Which bit is the embarrassing bit?

I’d be more shocked if we didn’t see this type of release during the Olympics. And I’d be embarrassed for the PR dept that they missed such a critical moment.

We can disagree but only one of us is right, and I’m afraid in this case that’s me.

I didn’t know this was a game of who was right “it’s me I’m right” really, are we twelve? :rofl: Grow up.

“National win” this depends on how you look at the numbers. The facts you “list” are convenient to their narrative “facts”
They might in total people but Sydney has been won by Nine. Conveniently for Seven they choose to ignore this and talk total people at a National total ignoring the markets they fail in.

Again. Agencies won’t be chomping at the bit to buy into 7 news post olympics because they had some bump during the olympics. Just like The Chase is up. Will it retain 800k in two weeks time, hell no. It’s people leaving their TV’s on 7 because the olympics are on. Are they actually watching? Probably not.

To be honest I can’t say Seven are showing their best News content or presentation during the Olympics either at the moment which is when you would think they would do it - as most networks with a brain manage to do so and utilise the eyeballs during their event to relaunch their brand as well .
Which Seven have yet again failed at doing so.

A PR release to the people who Seven are targeting (advertising agencies) will go straight in the bin.
They all know it’s olympics inflation and they can’t charge premium for that. Simple as that. They don’t release these PR fluffs for the average viewer, it’s for advertisers.
That’s where it’s embarrassing that they think they can and clients will run to them because everyone sees through these “National” claims that “we are Number 1”

1 Like

But that is what PR is all about - you tell people what you’re doing well at. And we know from 7’s perspective the way they do that is by reporting the national figure. That is nothing new and should come as no surprise, and in fact should be expected.

There’s a lot of reasons why 7 would want to send this type of release out, not least the (fact) they have the Winter Olympics coming up in 2022 which also happens to be in a friendly timezone.

2 Likes