Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Quite enjoyed 7News Sydney’s year in review. Went for around 10 mins.

1 Like

Melbourne had a ‘year in review’ at the end of the news which went for about eight minutes. Quite good I thought.

Send that cammo up to QTQ for Harry!

Because Jason Morrison leads a great newsroom. Every newsroom needs a good leader.

That’s quite debatable, if we’re really honest.

4 Likes

Personally I get the impression that Jason Morrison may have been great doing radio news and in his behind the scenes roles (Chief of Staff + brief time as editor) for Ten many years ago.

But if there’s any element of Jason’s media past is influencing the current/recent content decisions at Seven News Sydney, I suspect it’s his time in talkback radio…and that’s not a good thing.

I’ll take you on face value @Tom_TV7, you’re honest, as am I. Simply have different opinions, no worries, to each their own.

1 Like

Jason’s a great guy. Great brain for news. Hamstrung in part by a news anchor that has little gravitas and personality and an opposition that is relentless. Kissed on the balls by a strong reporting team which keeps them in the game, but really the problem is what’s in front of the screen and the Mark Ferguson situation needs to be addressed.

There’s only so many promos you can lie to the people of Sydney with, by claiming you’re “Australia’s #1” with Ferguson’s face on it, before you lose all your credibility. If you continue those promos, show every state anchor at the end of the promo. Even Rob McKnight calls these promos false and misleading.

3 Likes

I don’t think Morrison is the problem. A fish rots from the head.

4 Likes

It’s all well and good to say that Jason Morrison is fine when it comes to scheduling on major news days but on many other occasions, I’ve seen the news service under his leadership make very questionable decisions when it comes to their content mix and even their top story while Nine News Sydney (who yes, have content issues of their own but that’s for another topic) is usually showing far more worthwhile reports.

Stories about train station developments and mobile phone-filmed footage of brawls at suburban junior sporting events (the latter of which was actually branded as a “7 News Exclusive” back in July) as the lead story. Today Tonight-level content like a washing powder company being fined for overcharging products and “How Sydney drivers can get cash back from motorway tolls” before far more worthwhile content! :roll_eyes:

I agree with all this.

As for Rob McKnight, can’t we agree that he’s one of the underappreciated heroes of Australian TV when it comes to news service promotion? Like if he was still at Nine now, you really wonder if he’d be smart enough to take swipes at Seven & Ten with promos to the effect of “While other news services claim to be First/#1, at Nine we truly are Sydney’s First/#1 choice for news and here’s why…” - now there’s a great idea if anyone at the TCN news/current affairs promotional department is reading! :wink:

Didn’t Seven News on the east coast adopt those TT style stories to fill in there 6PM news hour when they ditched TT to keep those viewers 6:30 viewers happy . I think Perth and Adelaide are somewhat responsible for that too. Because not only do they need to produce stories locally but a lot of the stories like “washing powder” make its way onto TT, because they essentially “need” those stupid stories. Whereas 9, have ACA to shove all those stories into. But that still isn’t an excuse to produce good stories though.

1 Like

Huh? Both are local stories with some relevancy to the audience. I can tell you that especially development stories do very well.

3 Likes

Someone mentioned on ‘The Latest’ thread that a producer named Sean Power was responsible for the production. I reckon he should be parachuted into director of news/current affairs and they should shunt McPherson. Clean the brand from the inside and have someone new and innovative to produce a quality product unlike the shit we’re seeing nowadays.

5 Likes

Can we also agree that Emma Dallimore (the current deputy director) probably should become the main director of Seven News Sydney? I reckon she’d make decisions which would have a positive effect on Seven’s news bulletins for Sydney, unlike Jason Morrison who seems to be far too influenced by his time at talkback radio.

2 Likes

Brisbane daily promos now have “60 years” under the 7News logo

3 Likes

Gremlins in the system for the sydney bulletin this evening.

7 news Sydney having some major technical issues tonight, they can’t play the first story so are stumbling around

They recovered well. Michael was great. And they came back to it as their third story.

1 Like

Yes they did very well

Yep, like that, except in the bottom right hand corner of the screen like the usual logo…