Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Brownie also invented the 7 day outlook.

It shows how ridiculous Jane Bunn’s infamous 8 day outlook is, that it hasn’t been adopted anywhere else.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m calling bullshit on that one.

1 Like

No. It’s been widely promoted over the years. He invented it at 7 Melbourne in the 90s. Before that networks only had 3-4 day outlooks. I’ll try and find the promo on Youtube.

Word for word… ‘He invented television’s 7 day forecast’…

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Appreciate that is the spin but I think using the word ‘inventing’ is a bit far. I remember seeing 7-day forecasts in NZ in the very early 1990s. No doubt he popularised it though.

1 Like

Was it used by Seven prior to BOM providing it… yes.

Was it “invented” by them… lol no. I’m sure plenty of other countries have had 7 and 8 (or even 10 gasp) day forecasts prior to Seven.

2 Likes

Here in Sydney at least, I’m pretty sure Seven, Nine and Ten were all doing 7 day forecasts from around the Late '90s - long before the BoM introduced them (which I think was around the mid-late 2000s?).

ABC News continued with the “traditional” 4 day forecast for a while longer but they probably went to 7 day forecasts around the time that BoM started doing them or shortly after.

BOM release various comfort measurements. I’ve heard them mentioned in some of the Brisbane TV weather reports especially “apparent temperature” when the humidity is high.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65214.shtml

Apparently OzTAm will be releasing “Comfort Ratings” next year that measure how satisfied viewers really are with some of the rubbish they watch on FTA :wink:

6 Likes

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but out of curiosity does anyone know if Seven is stopping the local afternoon news during the christmas break and going national? Just asking since this is the first time Seven has had all markets receiving local afternoon news.

Something similar actually does exist in the UK. It’s a satisfaction index or something similar.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think so. Melbourne & Brisbane continued their local afternoon bulletins in the past over summer so I don’t see why they would be stopped now.

3 Likes

Re, the previous discussion about the latest “David Brown’s Weather” Promo highlighting the recent innovation of “The Sydney Comfort Index”:

Video of said promo

8 Likes

“Nobel Peace PRiza”
“Nobel Peace Price”

:roll_eyes:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/940119920020398081

EDIT: The Tweet has already been deleted but the screen shot shows what seemingly went to air

9 Likes

The Christmas tree has appeared for another year on Seven News Brisbane tonight:

7 Likes

Will we see one in perth I doubt it

Why does Melbourne use the shot of the Brisbane Facebook page in their closing ‘Contact Us’ super in the 4pm and 6pm bulletin?

3 Likes
6 Likes

How does our man Usher rate against Ferguson. (I’m not across the numbers) I’m assuming Ferguson’s numbers are healthier than Ushers?

1 Like

Last night, the ratings gap between Usher & GG on Nine was a very close 5k during the 6pm half and 27k during the 6.30pm half.

5 Likes

Ha!! In your dreams mate. There’s about as much chance of this happening as them fixing up all the major problems with their news hour at the moment!!