Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Yes, I agree. Red is Seven’s colour, leave the blue to Nine and Ten.

6 Likes

BCC budget graphics

2 Likes

I’ve just sent a message to their FB page and gotten a response that it will be passed on to the producers. One message won’t make a scrap of difference. Come on Media Spies, send your messages praising the red set and they may listen (the worst they can do is say no).

9 Likes

Has there been any news on Seven Melbourne upgrading or launching a new set? It was mentioned on here last April that something was in the works.

Melbourne in the past usually relaunch in July.

3 Likes

I’m going to move the discussion here, so as to not go wildly off topic in the Sunrise thread.

I still remember the rumours about Seven News Sydney possibly getting a virtual set in Early 2015. That didn’t eventuate into much apart from some tweaks (most notably, the desk and the short lived weather plasma) to the existing set which lasted less than a year before the current set was introduced.

I feel like we’re going to disagree with a lot about Seven News Sydney, but I wouldn’t criticise you personally for it.

Actually being a Sydney resident (if it isn’t already obvious from my username), I’ve been rather disappointed in the direction that our 6pm edition of Seven News has been taken in over the past few years. Quality presenters/reporters leaving or being demoted while network defects and dubious talent remains (or in some cases, even being promoted!), questionable content/editorial choices, lacklustre On-Air Presentation compared to Nine News and the list goes on.

While Nine News Sydney is certainly not without it’s faults, I get the impression that they’re considerably more connected to Sydney than Seven News is and the ratings largely reflect that.

2 Likes

Maybe the majority of Perth likes that sort of thing but I’m just saying that for me personally, I like seeing good presentations of stories like you would see on 7 in Sydney or Melbourne and it’s just frustrating that in Perth they don’t just try it. For as long as Rick & Sue are presenting together, even if they make several drastic changes to the appearance which I think we’ll all agree are definitely needed, I think they will continue winning anyway as we have seen in the past. And don’t get me started on the weather situation on 7 Perth. As for 7 Sydney, I actually only started watching it about 3-4 years ago when I found out about live streaming and all the rest of it so I only know what 7 Sydney is like with Mark as the face of it!!

2 Likes

Seven has never really had any quality presenters from the get go. From memory…

Roger Climpson - Was at Nine
Ian Ross - Was at Nine
Ross Symonds - Was at the ABC
Ann Sanders - Was at TEN in the 1980s
Peter Meakin (Director of News) - Was at Nine
David Brown - Was at TEN
Jim Wilson - Was at Nine
Chris Bath - Was at Nine (NBN but you get the point)
Mark Ferguson - Was at Nine
Michael Usher - Was at Nine
Craig McPherson (Director of News) - Was at Nine
Peter Mitchell - Was at Nine
Jennifer Keyte - Was at TEN/Nine
Jane Bunn - Was at Nine (WIN)
Sean Sowerby - Was at TEN
Mel McLaughlin - Was at TEN
Kay McGrath - Was at TEN
Rod Young - Was at ABC
Sharyn Ghidella - Was at Nine
Bill McDonald - Was at TEN
Paul Burt - Was at Nine
Jane Doyle - Was at ABC
Susannah Carr - Was at ABC
Samantha Jolly - Was at TEN

If that list doesn’t tell you that Seven don’t really have ANY quality talent that they’ve developed from the start (aka starting their journalistic experience at Seven), I don’t know what will…

4 Likes

It’s not quite as black and white as that. Yes Roger Climpson started at 9 as an announcer but it was only a short stint before joining 7 for 20+ years. It’s unfair to say 7 did nothing to develop his talent as a newsreader.

Having said that, David Johnston, Brian Naylor, Geoff Raymond and Mal Walden… 4 of the most successful newsreaders in Melbourne. All started and were successful on television… at Seven.

8 Likes

I thought Sir Eric Pearce who was leading Nine’s Melbourne news who was winning against Geoff Raymond at the time?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he was Melbourne’s first news reader - and Seven was the first station launched there.

1 Like

Successful doesn’t have to just mean #1. Actually there’s another one for your list. Eric Pearce was news presenter at 7 first before going to 9.

1 Like

Sorry I was talking about when he jumped ship to Nine and was replaced by Geoff Raymond. I know there are no exact numbers, but I would’ve thought Nine dominated AU during the 1960s-1980s.

2 Likes

All that your list proves is that people move around in the media.

Plenty of Nine’s big names have filled positions on TV elsewhere in the past - eg off the top of my head Brian Naylor, Peter Overton, Peter Hitchener, Georgie Gardner, Lisa Wilkinson, Deborah Knight, Liz Hayes, Andrew Lofthouse, Melissa Downes, Bruce Paige, Emmy Kubainski and the list goes on and on.

Of course, many of those people have been at Nine for a long time and enjoyed their main successes there but you could say the same about just about every single person on your list as well.

5 Likes

I agree.

While it’s all well and good to say that most of Seven News’ biggest presenters come from other networks, plenty of people currently at Nine News Sydney previously worked at Ten including some very high profile names - right up to their 2nd and 3rd in line newsreaders!

3 Likes

So I’m off crook today and have caught the afternoon news bulletin here in Tassie which was by Ann Sanders from Sydney. I moved to the PC to watch on that where I’m on the Melbourne feed and it was from the Melbourne newsroom. I always thought the bulletin was a national one, when did Melbourne and Brisbane (I checked that one too) start their own? It looks like Adelaide has the “National” one from Sydney along with Tasmania but on a half hour delay of course and no idea what Perth gets.

For the weather, is David Brown from Melbourne? I noticed they use Jane Bunn for the Melbourne bulletin and David Brown for the national one, even though he’s in Melbourne.

Sorry, it’s probably been discussed half a million times, I rarely venture into this thread. I was just suprised there were more bulletins than I thought.

1 Like

Melbourne & Brisbane started their local afternoon bulletins about 2 years ago.

They get the national afternoon news on 2-3 hour delay for 1/2 hour, followed by a live & local afternoon bulletin at 4:30pm.

David Brown is now based in Sydney, in which he’s now the main Sunday-Thursday weather presenter for Seven News Sydney.

3 Likes

Thanks for that! I just got my other answer for Ten News about Candice Wyatt from Wikipedia too, so I’ve saved a post there!

David Brown is based in Sydney.

I have to agree, however…

One of the main reasons Nine dominated news in the 60s-2000s (and yes, Climpson did have some success but obviously nothing compared to Henderson) was because of Brian Henderson. He was an original Nine boy when TV started in 56, and both his fill-ins (Jimbo and Roscoe) were original Nine veterans too. They, along with Ken Sutcliffe, who was also an original Nine dominated news landscape of AU in that era. On the other hand, Seven had Ross Symonds from ABC, Richard Zachariah (from Somewhere?) and Ann Sanders who returned to Seven after defecting from TEN. I think viewers like consistency as well as originality. I don’t see ANY of that on Seven these days.

Southern Cross TV8 in Gippsland