Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Saturday News will be at 5.30pm with live coverage of the Western Derby from 6pm

Seven News recognised with six international awards for excellence in journalism

Seven News has been recognised with six awards at this year’s prestigious New York Festivals International TV
& Film Awards.

The 7News Investigates team earned five awards for their special report In Cold Blood: The Chris Lane Story about one of Australia’s rising sports stars gunned down in Cold Blood by three bored youths while out on an afternoon jog.

Executive producer Mark Llewellyn, Seven News US Bureau Chief Mike Amor, producer Luke Blair and cameraman Arron Hage accepted two Gold World Medals and a Silver World Medal for Special Report, Best Camerawork and Best Interview at the gala presentation in Las Vegas today, Australia time.

The program was also awarded two Finalist Certificates for Best News Reporter and Best News Documentary.

Executive producer Mark Llewellyn said: “We couldn’t be more proud of this achievement, and of Mike Amor and the brilliant crew; cameraman Arron Hage, producers Emma Dallimore and Luke Blair and the editors.
Their journalism, compassion and incisive yet sensitive storytelling is credit to them.

“We dedicate these awards to Chris Lane. To tell his story and that of his wonderful family and friends was a great honour and we thank all of those who came together to contribute to the memory of a wonderful young life.”

Seven News was also recognised with a Finalist Certificate for its live coverage of the Paris Terror Attacks.

The New York Festival’s World’s Best TV & Films awards honour programming across all lengths and forms from more than 50 countries.

3 Likes

Seven Brisbane local afternoon news

Live coverage of emergency landing of light plane this afternoon.

3 Likes

Seven News would have to have some of the largest obtrusive graphics, so unnecessary.

Seven Brisbane opener - Nine reporter can be clearly heard in background also doing a live cross @ 2:02.

1 Like

Either Nat Wallace talks too loud or Ben was too close to him. LOL. Seven started the live cross right at the end of a SOT on Nine, so probably thought Nat was done and then he starts talking again as soon as they cross to Ben. Oops. You can vaguely hear Ben talking on Nine’s cross too.

1 Like

Initially I thought it was some sort of echo from the future :slight_smile: as both reporters say similar things.

“They got whisked away…”

1 Like

This will always be my favourite news opener from 7… Short lived, but all class.

6 Likes

If we were talking about backdrops, which ones do you like?

3 Likes

In the exact order it’s in. I love that first one and the graphics!! Those graphics would still not look old, stale or boring if they were still in use today!
I have always much preferred a newsroom backdrop as appose to a globe.

5 Likes

My absolute favourite was during the mid-2000s with the open Melbourne newsroom:

However, in saying that I don’t think that all national news bulletins should have a newsroom nor a globe. A nice mix is great, like it currently is (Nine and ABC with the newsroom, Seven and Ten with the globe).

3 Likes

Nine has a mix I think with Dotted Globe mixed in with the newsroom.

In saying that however, when can Seven News get the globe right? We have Nine, ABC and Ten all looking very professional, and then we have that sphere stuck in the middle of the sky?

2 Likes

But Nine had sphere stuck in the middle of the sky too. But regardless whoevers looked better the concept was still a bit stupid imo

The first image is the most iconic backdrop for Seven in that era.

3 Likes

Much prefer the old “pokies” backdrop then the globe or the map.
Although as also linked the Melbourne newsroom backdrop on the 4:30 news of old was also great. That bulletin was all class, hard to believe that Seven used to have a hard news bulletin like that in their schedule at all considering what we see nowadays.

8 Likes

Am I the only one who hated the pokies? It looked rubbish IMO. I agree with @Squee about the 4.30 backgeound from Melbourne but I’ll take the globes over the pokies anyday

2 Likes

I personally liked this one which was adopted when the new set Syd/national set launched Feb 1, 2016, to accommodate the larger backdrop screen - it was a nice update to the previous “rising sun” globe, though​ it didn’t last long before being replaced by the current globe background.

4 Likes

The first one is by far the best and could still probably be used for national Early News, Morning News and Afternoon News bulletins.

I’d really like to see Seven Melbourne use the newsroom as the backdrop for the Afternoon news. The current backdrop looks quite dated even if new. All they’d have to do would be pull back the curtain and plonk a desk in front and use OTS graphics or a spare plasma for it. Better than the current quarter of the plasma wall that’s used which looks a bit poor in image quality for the OTS.

I see 7 in Adelaide today had AFL from 4pm, then House Rules from 6.45 and MKR from 7.45.

So how did they accommodate news?

Would have had to be at half time during the football?

So a short 20 min bulletin at 5.15pm or thereabouts?