Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Another win last night I see. They’re on a continuous winning streak. People liking Max over Bill?

Ok. Can you be more specific? It’d be a shame if it folded when it’s doing okay…

It probably won’t happen anytime soon (likely due to financial, technical and possibly other reasons) but instead of simply emulating Nine’s formula, surely Seven Gold Coast News would benefit greatly from being a live/local hour long bulletin at 6pm seven nights a week with local, state, national & international content?

Would it be fair to say that axing the weekend bulletins and going for two presenters weren’t the smartest decisions by Seven? Mind you, Nine’s 20.5 year advantage & HD production (as opposed to Seven, which broadcasts the Brisbane HD feed to the Gold Coast on LCN-70 so no local news even in upconverted SD) probably don’t help either.

With there being different programming on both Seven and Nine between 4.30pm and 6pm in the main Brisbane TV market and the Gold Coast sub-market, it’d probably be hard to say how the Gold Coast News ratings are going just based on the Brisbane/SEQ-wide figures.

If we were to make an informed judgement, what we’d probably need to see are Gold Coast-specific ratings between Seven & Nine but unfortunately those can’t be posted here on Media Spy due to OzTam restrictions.

That’'s interesting. On Friday there were only two reporters seen on camera. Each also voiced a second report; Amanda did a “First on Gold Coast” report and everything else was done from the news desk.

mpg_000797188mpg_001850828image

Seven also don’t have a dedicated sports presenter, with Amanda moving from the desk each night to present sport standing only to sit down again to cross for the weather.

imageimageimage

7 Likes

Also surprising that conveniently Matthew Howard who jumped ship from Ten when 7 established their local Gold Coast news has just re-joined Ten’s GC bureau.

2 Likes

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side…

3 Likes

Nine’s local GC edition seems to have more reporters each night, incorporates live crosses (admittedly to the balcony!) and has more what I would call hard news i.e., crime, accidents. Seven that has more filler in the form of soft reports that could have prepared and presented on any day of the week (real estate for example).

Typical “cross” with a cross Bruce as well (it’s a cross cross):slight_smile:

4 Likes

No idea what you’re all talking about :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Apparently.

Doubt it. Seven’s content is equally as embarrassing. On Monday, they have an exclusive report that reveals what kids REALLY want, even the experts were surprised. Can’t wait!

Nine also has the loyalty from experience and Bruce. Whilst Rod is a great anchor, you have remember that Bruce anchored NNN during their winning years in Brisbane. He is respected amongst Queensland ( I like him myself), despite your mockery.

4 Likes

Definitely think the content is miles apart at Nine News Queensland. I mean they are both bad but Nine almost can’t be compared to Seven.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand exactly what you mean.
I’ve heard that we don’t really know the ratings for the GC, there’s 2 people sitting at the desk and a reporter went back to Ten… but how is it falling apart?
The weekend bulletin was axed ages ago, I understand that.

9.30pm bulletin tonight

1 Like

Peter Mitchell just presented a special update for Melbourne viewers with the national backdrop?

Did this air nationally?

Brisbane got this

2 Likes

Has Ten reopened a Gold Coast bureau?

I’m assuming Adelaide got the Melbourne update?

1 Like

they never closed it.

1 Like

Presume it would still be open if they’ve had a reporter based there (Brendan Savage until recently) and camera operators etc.

Oh i thought they closed it during the cuts…?