Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Seven News Sydney are relentless alright…for persisting with Fergo as their main newsreader even though Doyle (and/)or Usher probably should be the main competition to Peter Overton right now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for using the words “Reliable” and “Trusted” to describe the bulletin…I’m sorry but that’s a no from me!

5 Likes

I’ve always thought they needed to have the lotto numbers up on screen for longer… Maybe not that long though.

It’s really becoming an embarrassment. Every night a new blooper.

And when the background shot from across the river was working, the motion in it was very jerky. You could see it on people walking across Princes Bridge. Slow IP link that eventually failed?

When did Seven News Sydney start to add emoticons to their already tacky “Sydney Comfort Index” feature during their weather forecasts?

My reaction to the idea is about the same as David Brown’s in the above screencapture!

11 Likes

More clutter…

I thought it was a good idea when they introduced it last year, giving people something they can relate to so they know what the conditions are like for the next day combining temperature and humidity etc. Clearly you haven’t been watching Sydney’s news for a while…

The use of emoticons on a news bulletin, no matter how relevant it might be in today’s society, looks extremely tacky

14 Likes

The use of emoticons might be but the idea of a comfort rating system based on numbers is a good idea don’t you think?

In my honest opinion, no I don’t think so. Because reading the weather temperatures alone should be enough indication for one to make up their own minds on whether it’s going to be “comfortable”. In saying that, some people might be comfortable with 30-35 degree temperature and some may not be

Yes, I think what temperatures people are most comfortable with is a very subjective thing.

IMO, the neutral to slightly smiling face for a forecast minimum of 22 and maximum of 33 (as per the cap above) is being very generous! This one is probably more appropriate for a forecast like that: :confused:

2 Likes

But the idea is that a clear sky 30-35 degrees feels a lot more comfortable than a humid, muggy 30-35 degrees and that’s what this ‘system’ is meant to measure from what I’ve been able to gather

I don’t understand what the comfort index means. I would have expected an index to go from 0 to say 10 or 100 with the higher numbers indicating when people would feel most comfortable - with perhaps 24 Celsius with 30% humidity and even a 5kph breeze at the top and difference from that (too hot, too cold, too dry, too humid, too windy) reducing the score. What does 17 out of 23 mean? Is 23 the best?

2 Likes

So the system only measures what makes you feel comfortable?

According to Seven’s system, 23 is meant to be the worst i.e. extremely uncomfortable, which is why it’s coloured red. 1 is supposed to very comfortable, supposedly with the ideal conditions and no humidity whatsoever.

I think blue is meant to represent “too cold” with red representing “too hot” with the most comfortable weather on the index being the green spot(s) in the middle.

3 Likes

I can’t see a 1 on the scale!

0% humidity is not comfortable - it is too dry. 30-70% is reported to be the comfortable range. The higher the humidity the lower the air temperature for ideal comfort. So various combinations of temp and humidity would have the same comfort level.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that sounds better. I was getting a bit mixed up, thinking the low end was more comfortable getting increasingly more uncomfortable the higher the number goes up to 23. It’s like a pH system I guess, with the middle range being the most ideal, comfortable and neutral zone, with the uncomfortable hot end at the 23 end of the scale and the uncomfortable cold end at the 5 end of the scale

Maybe they do need the emoji if it’s this difficult to understand.

1 Like

Perth’s Virtual Set had a slight malfunction today, the opener didn’t have the zoom in to the desk, leaving Rick & Sue in the distance till the presenter cross. Hoping Perth will update their set soon as it’s approaching 4 years now since it’s debut, or better yet, get a physical set, though that won’t happen for a while I don’t think.

4 Likes

The set was first used in February 2015, so not quite that old! :wink:

Mind you, I agree that Seven News Perth could do with an actual physical set - their studio looks big enough to fit one from the pictures I’ve seen!

5 Likes