Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Seven Local News needs a new set before Brisbane and especially the GC

9 Likes

Melbourne’s afternoon updates with Jacqueline Felgate and the afternoon bulletin used a new live shot this afternoon.

This isn’t a HD cap but you can still see the difference the lighting makes to the screen when comparing left and right of that picture. I don’t think they’ve got the lighting quite right. It’s washing out parts of the screen.

You can see it even more in this cap from the 6pm weather and the way the lights affect the black on the weather wall.

9 Likes

4pm backdrop looks awesome

13 Likes

Thanks guys @ScreenTower @Mitchell_Nock

3 Likes

I definitely agree there, @EuroKick. I hope that live shot from the Hilton has finally been retired.

I really do like the colour in those live shots for 4pm and 6pm bulletins. Even in the autumn and winter months you’ll still have the colour of the lights when it gets dark.

7 Likes

Have to agree… very good backdrop for the Afternoon News. They seem to be fine tuning the set each day. I’m liking it more. Hope this gets rolled out nationally. Keep Sydney as is though.

3 Likes

If the Melbourne set comes to Adelaide, hopefully they can maintain the newsroom window as a usable presenting space, likely on the LHS of the set as it is now.

I hope that they can also squeeze it into Martin Place. Could they return to separate sets for news vs everything else? Really the main problem seems to be the Sunrise desk sharing the weather wall, everything else seems relatively separated. The Sunrise finance could be done from the Melbourne-style weather wall.

BTW, how was everything laid out before they switched to this multi-purpose jumble in early 2016? Wasn’t TDE filmed in the separate advertorial studio?

2 Likes

Prior to 2016, everything was laid out the same, in that the news set was where it is now (albeit a little further towards the centre of the studio due to not using the space under the overhang). The Daily Edition was filmed in the same corner it is now, except the video wall was 90 degrees to the window, rather than the diagonal it is on now.

2 Likes

This won’t go national - 7 has never had consistency across sets. Each local market has a unique look.

2 Likes

That’s not true. The curved wood/metal set was rolled out nationally by 2010 (everywhere else far earlier) and it’s possible the previous look, while varied in each state, may have been consistent across Australia at one point.

The argument for and against set consistency seems to come up a lot. I think purely from a cost saving perspective it would make sense to have the sets all made by the same company under one contract .etc.

Also while most viewers “don’t care”, TV is a visual medium and to me sets add depth to a program. Especially when they are put to good use/used in an engaging manner.

8 Likes

What I don’t get is why we have national graphics/presentation yet sets are left to local teams to design. It should all be part of the same package and integrating the two only serves to strengthen the brand (as we’ve seen Nine demonstrate so well with their latest set/graphics). The incredible strength of Seven’s branding a decade ago played a big role in their rise in the ratings, and the subsequent fragmentation after ~2010 played a big role in their fall (on the east cost at least).

Consistency also makes it much easier to update things down the track. Nine (and Ten/ABC) can push new graphics/templates out nationally at the click of a button and know that it will work everywhere. Seven, on the other hand, will have to rework everything to suit five totally different sets. Inevitably that work falls to local teams and inevitably they ruin the whole look which just leads to even more inconsistency and fragmentation which weakens the brand even further.

Ugh. I don’t get why Seven struggles so much with this when Nine, Ten and ABC all do such a good job.

9 Likes

Here is what i have in my sketch up models

4 Likes

3 Likes

Who’s to say Seven won’t finally reinstate a national look? It’s not an alien idea for them.

The last national look was the wood and twisted metal set of the mid 2000s to early 2010s. Beyond that, Sydney and Melbourne shared a set design for several years.

With Nine’s investment in a new national look for all capital sets, Seven may be encouraged to do the same. All of their sets are pretty much due for an update anyway (though Adelaide has aged extremely well).

5 Likes

If Melbourne’s news numbers increase and viewers feed back is positive, you can expect this set to be rolled out across the country.

2 Likes

Although there were some design similarities, Melbourne’s first news set at Docklands and Sydney’s final news set at Epping (the latter of which was adopted by the three smaller cities at some point) were distinctively different IMO.

The 1999-2002 and the mid-late '90s “blue map” eras on the other hand…yeah, I can see how that could be classed as a shared set design between both cities.

Except Sydney, who’s current set is two years old (ie, still relatively new) and is used for other programs produced from Martin Place.

Mind you, I agree that Seven News has some sets that are due for an update. I guess Adelaide’s set has aged OK and so too Melbourne’s old one before the new one launched (aged better than the 2011-16 Sydney set anyway), but Perth, Brisbane/Gold Coast, Regional Queensland all desperately need new sets from Seven News IMO.

1 Like

In that quote I’m referring to Melbourne’s previous set. Melbourne had it 2012-18 while Sydney had it 2012-16. Sydney replaced the desk in 2015 with one similar to the Seven logo but kept the rest of the set.

This design followed the national timber and twisted metal set, and remained only between Sydney and Melbourne, the other cities went their own way.

2 Likes

25 Likes

Afternoon news in Melbourne is using the 6pm’s old style OTS… it’s a shame cause it’s covering up the awesome 4pm backdrop. I say at least ditch the blue background strip if the OTS is needed.

2 Likes

Clap. Back!

2 Likes