Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Well, like at this time of the year every year the Victorian media’s attention does turn to all of the footy finals, so not much other news gets a look in at the top (first 15 minutes) of the bulletins. Probably also helps that it features one of the biggest teams which has been waiting for many decades too.

2 Likes

By contrast in Queensland, on Seven News in Brisbane tonight AFL coverage consisted of a 1 minute story that was mainly about some Lions player being spotted in Adelaide that ended with a mention of the Grand Final being shown on Seven. Ten carried a 30 second report about a potential Lions player with no mention of the Grand Final at all. Nine had a similar story to Ten but just a RVO and again the GF was not mentioned! Obviously all bulletins carried lots of NRL GF coverage as well as Dally M and the NRL GF entertainment “controversy”.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen NRL mentioned on Melbourne news (probably on Nine, but I don’t watch it).

The code really stops at the NSW/QLD borders.

I’d imagine coverage is worse in SA/WA.

It probably goes without saying but here in Sydney, NRL coverage leads the sports reports on all local news bulletins for most of the year.

Nine News has been known to routinely promote it’s coverage of rugby league as a drawcard for the 6pm bulletin here in Sydney, although Seven also had a promo earlier this year when they signed up Brett Kimmorley for their rugby league coverage.

Knowing the success of the team over the past decade or so, I’d be very surprised if Nine didn’t regularly mention how the Storm are progressing in the NRL on the Sports segment of their Melbourne news bulletins.

On the flipside, Seven often mention the AFL (mainly the Swans & Giants, although I’d imagine that the Grand Final lead-up is also being covered this week) during the sports segment of their Sydney 6pm bulletin from what I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Adelaide’s Nine News regularly has big NRL stories shown. Like origin and there was a report last night or the night before about the Grand final. Other than that, it’s all AFL dominated of course. Not sure if Seven Adelaide are the same RE NRL news.

1 Like

Last night Seven News Brisbane carried a lengthy negative NRL story about unsold seating at the GF.

1 Like

I wonder if 7 News (particularly Sydney) will change their openers taking into account day light savings from Sunday…

2 Likes

They didn’t for the last DST season (even though I personally think they should, because it looks ridiculous having a night time titlecard during the months when it’s broad daylight for the full bulletin) so I don’t think they will this year.

2 Likes

What are you talking about, the title card for the news?

2 Likes

Only on grand final day would a story about a mentally deranged teen going on a rampage in Melbourne’s CBD be pushed back until 6.30pm.

7 Likes

7News Melbourne concluded at 7.10pm tonight.

3 Likes

So the promo all week advertising a Federation Square bulletin was updated to include Mark Soderstrom yesterday…

… yet mysteriously at 5:50 this evening Jane Doyle appears from the Adelaide studio instead. My thoughts were something must’ve gone wrong with the on-location presentation (rare to see Jane presenting a weekend bulletin!?) but then at 6:20 local time the bulletin crossed to Jessica outside of the MCG.

9 Likes

Maybe it didn’t happen due to Adelaide losing?

8 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Seven News Melbourne is produced in SD. Any HD channel airings (pre-2010, that one off for Grand Final Day 2015, May 2016-now) of the bulletin would be upconverted.

AFAIK, Sydney (live studio camera footage + graphics only) and Perth are the only markets that have any level of HD production from Seven News. Hopefully this will change in 2018, but I’m not holding my breath for that…

4 Likes

It was said a while ago that Melbourne was getting a new set sometime soon. Maybe HD production will start then too?

1 Like

Bit hard to top Nine’s new look even if HD is introduced.

2 Likes

A big blooper in a Seven News promo which aired just before the weather on the afternoon news in Sydney today.

18 Likes

God that is seriously creepy.

3 Likes

This was the best part of that stuff up!! :rofl:

16 Likes

They can both tell something is up… But then act as if nothing is wrong?

8 Likes