Seven News: 2000-2004

Seven News Sydney - Friday 4/1/2002 with Chris Bath and Nick McArdle.

9 Likes

That was During a Coverage of the 2001-2002 Black Christmas Bushfire Crisis from the 24th of December on Christmas Eve to the 16th of January 2002.

2 Likes

I think the blue TV wall set must’ve been introduced later that month, from what I can think it could’ve been during the Australian Open.

1 Like

NYE fireworks went ahead that year and like 2019 it was controversial

1 Like

Early 2000s were revolutionary for 7News with the on-air presentation and graphics, nothing since has had as much of a visual impact!

2 Likes

It wasn’t until the August 2004 relaunch (which I think “Americanized” the brand) that the ratings would soar, though, as they moved away from the disco theme which IMO was symbolic of its struggles on the east coast.

3 Likes

Seven Perth during that era kept the roll call voiceovered by Fred Botica

5 Likes

Something I’ve found interesting is the blocky segmented-style News Update title-cards used in Sydney during mid-2004 up until the August 31st relaunch:

There was also a Sports Report variant with the layered rectangles as well, but with more of a 3D effect:

It could be nothing, but it makes me wonder if it was part of a scrapped graphics refresh.

7 Likes

I wish that had been the standard!

3 Likes

Seven News Sydney with Ross Symonds, Ann Sanders, Nick McArdle and Adam Digby - 15/9/2000

10 Likes

Due to time difference The Book Place aired in Perth before the Opening Ceremony which had a full replay in primetime at 7:30pm AWST after Seven News Perth

2 Likes

Channel Seven Melbourne
Sunday 20 October 2002

Seven News Melbourne Promo

7 Likes

Strange to have the sport presenter in the studio… these days the entire team would be on location!

8 Likes

Actually, it was from circa June 1999 that the Seven (Nightly) News branding took on a predominantly red theme. Before that (and I think I might be wrong) it was a mostly blue theme when they had the SEVEN NIGHTLY NEWS text in Times New Roman font.

While the east coast states continued to struggle against Nine News, it was Adelaide and Perth that did the heavy lifting.

3 Likes

Adelaide didn’t switch to red until Jan 1st 2000.

3 Likes

The new “Seven Nightly News” logo was used for updates but the previous look was kept until New Year’s Day 2000 to match the rest of the country

1 Like

that’s right, it was quite an anomaly. I think, possibly, the intro the updates were done for the network, then the local update would cut in. Have seen other examples of that happened in the past.

2 Likes

Perth kept the original elements from the late 1990s during this era after the relaunch and the new graphics such as the roll-call and showing the presenters faces plus the set largely remained the same.

1 Like

Seven Perth Breakdown Screen April 6 2002. Not sure if this Sports update was national or just for Western Australia.

3 Likes

Seven Perth’s opener from the 1999-2004 era. Each state had a different intro in their respective local bulletins.

5 Likes