Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

Why didn’t they try it on Seven? It’s a new show and might have found an audience there?

1 Like

I caught a bit the other night - it was pretty heavy on the (uncensored) swearing. Perfect fit for Mate’s demo though.

2 Likes

Whilst it did rate well, a number of people commented on Facebook asking to return new episodes of Outback Truckers (which was doing north of 200k). Although is Truckers actually finished, perhaps it’s only short seasons?

1 Like

Week commencing 19 August 2018

Sunday 19 August
07:00 PM Little Big Shots S2 Ep03
08:00 PM Sunday Night
09:00 PM Crime Investigation Australia: Most Infamous: The Family Murders S1 Ep08
10:20 PM Autopsy USA: Judy Garland
11:20 PM Criminal Confessions Rpt

Adelaide
04:00 PM - 7:00 PM AFL: Rnd 22: Adelaide v North Melbourne

Monday 20 August
07:30 PM Dance Boss TBC*
08:45 PM Ramsay’s 24 Hours To Hell And Back S1 Ep05
09:45 PM The Single Wives: Final Dates And Home Visits S1 Ep08 Season Final
11:00 PM Modern Family x 2 Rpt

Tuesday 21 August
07:30 PM Dance Boss TBC
08:45 PM 800 Words S3 Ep10
09:45 PM Killer Tapes: The Gameshow Serial Killer
10:45 PM Chicago Fire S6 Ep02
11:45 PM Grimm S6 Ep13

Wednesday 22 August
07:30 PM Highway Patrol x 2 S10 Ep07
08:00 PM Motorbike Cops Series Premiere
08:30 PM 9-1-1 S1 Ep04
09:30 PM Criminal Minds S13 E15
10:30 PM TBA
11:30 PM Hell’s Kitchen USA

Thursday 23 August
07:30 PM TBA / Home and Away (Adelaide)
08:30 PM The Front Bar
09:30 PM Beach Cops S3 Ep03
10:00 PM Surveillance Oz S5 Ep06
10:30 PM World’s Deadliest Weather: Caught On Camera
11:30 PM Autopsy USA Rpt

Friday 24 August
Melbourne
07:00 PM Better Homes And Gardens
07:30 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Port Adelaide v Essendon
11:00 PM TBA

Adelaide
07:00 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Port Adelaide v Essendon
11:30 PM The Goldbergs Rpt

Saturday 25 August
Melbourne
06:30 PM The Kick
07:00 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Sydney v Hawthorn

Adelaide
06:30 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Carlton v Adelaide
10:00 PM TBA
11:15 PM TBA

*TBC - Not in official guide

More market variations will be posted later.

1 Like

RIP Seven for the month of August. That schedule is just not gonna cut it against the Block.

7 Likes

Tell them that, after winning last week!

Goes to show it ain’t all about one show being stripped, other timeslots and channels can be vital.

1 Like

That schedule looks really bare to be honest. There is not one show there that interests me. And what Seven have programmed for that week almost every show skews to the 50+ crowd.

2 Likes

But it would actually be interesting to see the sort of revenue they are making out of these sorts of weeks. Nine obviously created more revenue than any other network last year. So does winning a week really matter when you are making more money from advertisers anyway? I would say probably not. If Seven have to rely on their hugely expensive AFL deal to win a week then I would say that counts for nothing. They would definitely wanting Sunday-Thursday to be standing on their own feet.

3 Likes

I agree but there’s no point throwing everything at it and damaging potential hits in Take Me Out and All Together Now. At the end of September they will be able to roll out those shows as well as new Wanted, Good Doctor, 9-1-1 and others.

They won last week thanks to multichannels so the situation isn’t as dire as it should be. However, they need to start working on a ‘demolish The Block’ strategy for 2019.

3 Likes

I read something last year that indicated Nine received more revenue.

It varies depending on what hit shows are airing on the different channels. Weekly wins aren’t the be all and end all. In the end it is about the money but the ratings determine where that is spent. So the two are kind of inter-dependent.

Not sure about that, I do know for financial year ending 31 December 2017 Seven didnt declare a dividend but Nine did

Nine was number one in 2017 in revenue share.

1 Like

That is clearly not true if Seven won last year but had less revenue than Nine.

1 Like

A part of it is positioning of things like paid presentations and cost of operations. As an example Gem airs 2 hours of infomercials during the day plus at least half an hour of religion - in addition overnight infomercials on Nine and Gem which would add up. Also where Seven air B-Grade movies at midday on its main channel for the most part, Nine screens Ellen - which because its not prime time it wouldnt be a gold mine, but it may have an impact on the performance. Seven also have 7Flix, which wouldnt be as cheap to program as 9Life.

I think that part of the issue is than Nine seem to be more slow and steady and comfortably sitting at number 2, whereas Seven are vying to be number 1, but as suggested above some of the programs it will be interesting to see if they actually make money out of some of the ordinary schedules they have had of late - and yes, secondary channel shares can improve a networks measure of success (much like any company with multiple divisions)

1 Like

It clearly is true. Seven won total viewers but Nine won advertiser friendly demographics in 2017. More younger viewers watched Nine so I don’t think it is a coincidence they won the revenue race. Advertisers want to pay to promote during shows that have younger eyeballs watching because they’re more likely to spend money and be less conservative with their finances. Who is watching is just as important as how many people are watching. Ratings reflect that.

1 Like

Bancroft

Coming Soon

The formidable Det. Superintendent Elizabeth Bancroft ( Sarah Parish , Broadchurch ) is leading the charge against the violent Kamara gang.

Meanwhile, DS Katherine Stevens ( Faye Marsay , Game of Thrones, Black Mirror ) is given a cold murder case. In 1990, Laura Fraser was stabbed 18 times in frenzied attack at home.

As Elizabeth and Katherine’s paths cross for the first time, Katherine finds that there’s more to the Fraser case than it seems – and Elizabeth has some secrets in her past which may prove difficult to hide.

Produced by Phil Collinson ( Midwinter of the Spirit, Coronation Street, Dr Who ) and directed by John Hayes (Vera ), Bancroft explores what happens when heinous crimes, long buried, come back to haunt us.

1 Like

Exactly my point. As I said Seven could have won the week in both total people and the demos last week I am not sure. But it means nothing if the only thing that is rating well in the demos is the AFL. They won’t be making extra money just because Friday and Saturday are propped up. Advertisers wouldn’t be looking at the week they would be looking at specific shows that are right for their product.

1 Like

It clearly only shows the traditional FTA commercial channels as Nine had 38.3, Seven had 37.9 and Ten had 23.8 (adding up to 100%)

Yes but collectively the ratings add up and the weekly win is one indicator of overall performance of the network in comparison to competitors. It certainly isn’t the be all and end all. There are other indicators such as ad revenue share, catch up figures etc.

1 Like