Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

Of course networks want to be presumed successful and if someone doesn’t look outside the box they would see this. However, last week clearly proves you can shit programs rating poorly from Sunday-Thursday and win off the back of a sporting deal that cost mega $$$. Seven may have won the week but they probably lost big time in profits which at the end of the day is the most important thing for a business.

1 Like

If Seven were stupid (or smart, depending on your point of view) enough, they’d schedule House Rules right up against The Block! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What they definitely should NOT do is try and establish another “MKR companion” cooking format because all the ones we’ve seen over the past few years have failed.

Although Nine could be the #1 network if/when they manage to get a few more hit programs. The Block and Married At First Sight (which I personally believe does have the potential to kill MKR next year) do good business but they still need more.

Nine also need to focus on improving their overall ratings performance in most markets - Sydney, Northern NSW and maybe Brisbane are probably the only real #1 markets for them with Seven the dominant network just about everywhere else.

1 Like

I don’t like how Seven seem to just be trialing multiple shows each Quarter 3, closing their eyes, fingers crossed and hoping.

Should really be targeting one or two that had performed okay and work with that.

Maybe, but it reaps rewards, with 7flix’s key demos much better than 9Life’s.

Also, my two cents worth, I have a feeling Nine would’ve hoped 9Life to do better than it has been, we see lifestyle pull in good ratings on 7Two (Friday and Saturday nights). A channel either needs to rate in total people, key demos or both, 9Life doesn’t seem to really be doing any of that.

SydneyCityTV, weekends seem to be Nine’s only real headache, particularly Saturdays (even with simulcast NRL). Need a new strategy, better content there.

So I don’t think their Sunday-Wednesday quarterly line-up (Married, Voice, Ninja, Block) need tinkering or more additions. They seem to have a good enough lead-out line-up too (look at True Story, Doctor Doctor, etc on now).

I think their focus, like all commercial networks, is five city key demos. I mean what does individual markets honestly provide, other than publicity when you can’t claim five city in something? Seven were winning Sydney until recently this year too.

I agree. It doesn’t seem to work. I wonder whether moving MKR to Q3 and launching new shows at the beginning of the year would pay off.

2 Likes

Its all about demographics i guess. A Sydney product would more likely go to a nine show to promote their product same with Melbourne and ten. It all matters. I think saying all that matters is whole country ratings is quite naive.

1 Like

They are persisting with a second season of Instant Hotel.

There’s heaps of other ideas out there they need to explore. Genuinely new concepts like Sorry About That and I Don’t Like Monday’s. It isn’t hard, look overseas.

1 Like

i disgree . i dont think the whole country ratings is naive. say for example a show in the 5 metros got say 300k viewings and then you add regional australias viewings that could bost that show to say 600 or 700k viewings combined

For the top rating, staple shows however, networks will no doubt be selling on a national - principal sponsor basis, rather than individual markets for the local fish n chip shop.

That is exactly what im saying is naive.

No thats not what im saying. For example the project. We know it has a good market in Melbourne. Melbourne has a large ‘office’ based workers hence they get a deal with a supperannuation fund to support that. Thats more what I am suggesting. Or tourism Adelaide with Masterchef more people from Melbourne are likely to go to Adelaide which is driveable than Sydney or Brisbane if you get my drift.

1 Like

The discussion about the benefits of advertising probably should be done in another thread but I’ll quickly say that while companies with national/international brands will book ads just about everywhere because they can afford to, market demographics are still very important.

That probably wouldn’t be such a bad idea, although wouldn’t My Kitchen Rules lose viewers if it were to be scheduled after MasterChef?

Mind you, if Seven are persisting with a Q1 launch for MKR in 2019 it has the potential to be slaughtered up against Married At First Sight which Nine will no doubt promote to death during the tennis in January anyway…

Not like The Block lost viewers after House Rules.

Problem is, Seven will need to try something new and promote it to literally to death every second run and over during their cricket, and Seven’s past attempts (Dance Boss, Australian Spartan, Dance Boss) at something new just doesn’t work well particularly against hits like MAFS and The Block.

As I said before, Seven would be wise to do a few new game shows like The Wall or even better an original, and get back to their roots, drama.

1 Like

Is this not coming back? I am one of the viewers who shamefully didn’t mind it, wasn’t much else on this quarter anyway or after Monk’s Bachelorette finished (apart from Good Doctor, a 1m+ smash hit, singlehandedly saving Ch 7’s year).

agree to disagree . esp if means a show can stay longer or be saved due to the whole country ratings

Schedule Update:

Thursday 16 August
Sydney, Brisbane
07:30 PM Border Security - Australia’s Front Line S13 Ep01
08:00 PM Beach Cops S3 Ep02
08:30 PM Movie: Notting Hill (1999)
11:00 PM World’s Deadliest Weather: Caught On Camera

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth
07:00 PM Home and Away
08:30 PM The Front Bar
09:30 PM Movie: Contraband (2014)
11:45 PM Autopsy USA Rpt

3 Likes

Deception

From Wednesday 22 August at 10:30PM

The FBI has a new trick up its sleeve. When his career is ruined by scandal, superstar magician Cameron Black has only one place to turn to practice his art of deception, influence and illusion — the FBI. Using every trick in the book and inventing new ones, he will help the government catch the world’s most elusive criminals while staging the biggest illusions of his career.

DECEPTION is a thrilling crime drama that combines FBI counter-espionage with the misunderstood world of magic and misdirection. Together with his behind-the-scenes illusion team – producer Dina, eccentric engineer Gunter, and street magician Jordan Kwon – the super-charming Black will team up with FBI agents Kay Daniels, Mike Alvarez and Janet Deakins to become the world’s first consulting illusionist, helping the government solve crimes that defy explanation, and trap criminals and spies by using the timeless arts of magic, misdirection and deception.

Premiered 11 March 2018. 13 episodes were shown. ABC canceled the show after one season

2 Likes

Week commencing 19 August 2018

Sunday 19 August
07:00 PM Little Big Shots S2 Ep02
08:00 PM Sunday Night
09:00 PM Crime Investigation Australia: Most Infamous: The Family Murders S1 Ep08
10:20 PM Autopsy USA: Judy Garland
11:20 PM Criminal Confessions Rpt

Monday 20 August
07:30 PM Dance Boss Our remaining dance crews come together to perform the same dance to the same song – a Dance Boss version of the company merger. Who will be the lowest scoring crew sent back to work?
08:45 PM Ramsay’s 24 Hours To Hell And Back S1 Ep05
09:45 PM The Single Wives: Final Dates And Home Visits S1 Ep08 Season Final
11:00 PM Modern Family x 2 Rpt

Tuesday 21 August
07:30 PM Dance Boss In another night of mergers our dance crews perform the same dance to the same song but this time paying homage to dance icons Michael Jackson, Fred Astaire and Beyonce.
08:45 PM 800 Words S3 Ep10
09:45 PM Killer Tapes: The Gameshow Serial Killer
10:45 PM Chicago Fire S6 Ep02
11:45 PM Grimm S6 Ep13

Wednesday 22 August
07:30 PM Highway Patrol x 2 S10 Ep07
08:00 PM Motorbike Cops Series Premiere
08:30 PM 9-1-1 S1 Ep04
09:30 PM Criminal Minds S13 E15
10:30 PM Deception Series Premiere
11:30 PM Hell’s Kitchen USA

Thursday 23 August
07:30 PM Border Security - Australia’s Front Line S13 Ep03
08:00 PM Beach Cops S3 Ep03

Except Adelaide: Home and Away x 2

Sydney, Brisbane
08:30 PM Movie: How To Be Single (2016)
10:50 PM World’s Deadliest Weather: Caught On Camera

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth
08:30 PM The Front Bar
09:30 PM Movie: How To Be Single (2016)
11:50 PM Autopsy USA Rpt

Friday 24 August
Sydney, Brisbane, Perth
07:00 PM Better Homes And Gardens
08:30 PM Movie: Never Been Kissed (1999)
11:00 PM TBA

Melbourne
07:00 PM Better Homes And Gardens
07:30 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Port Adelaide v Essendon
11:00 PM TBA

Adelaide
07:00 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Port Adelaide v Essendon
10:30 PM TBA
11:30 PM The Goldbergs Rpt

Saturday 25 August
Sydney, Brisbane, Perth
07:00 PM Movie: Sister Act (1992)
09:00 PM Movie: There’s Something About Mary (1998)
11:30 PM TBA

Melbourne
06:30 PM The Kick
07:00 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Sydney v Hawthorn
10:30 PM TBA

Adelaide
06:30 PM AFL: Rnd 23: Carlton v Adelaide
10:00 PM TBA
11:15 PM TBA

1 Like

Noy suree your understanding what im talking about. A show can be canceled even with strong figures if it can’t find advertisers willing to back it. Hence where these sorts of things come into play when considering to renew a show or not.

1 Like

I’d rather they try something new than dish up the same old.

3 Likes

So it’s adverting not ratings?