Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

You and @JohnsonTV should form a support group.

5 Likes

Didn’t someone suggest it was a tactic, so The Empire Strikes Back (which will be the highest-rating one) can avoid head-to-head with Block finale?

I’ll say it again - repeat movies are the only way to program against the Block, and you’d probably want the potential best performer of the series up against it. I’d suggest the “breaking” of the “promise” is due to the poor ratings performance of the franchise over the last few weeks.

Very much so.

7 Likes

But it wouldn’t have screened on The Block finale night anyway, if they had kept to ‘Star Wars Sundays’; it would have been Revenge of the Sith which is showing this Saturday night instead so there will be two Star Wars movies shown two nights in a row with A New Hope being shown on The Block finale night anyway.

All true.

However it’s partially not Star Wars’ fault (even though that shouldn’t be an excuse - competition is there for a reason).

If it had minimal competition, equivalent of a Saturday night, they’d be rating big.

Similar to how big Indiana Jones has been rating (which if on Sundays lately, would’ve rated half what they did).

And wasn’t the first time we saw a Saturday scheduled, before the first Star Wars even aired?

Just like “Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark” (1981) was formerly known as just…

Raiders of the Lost Ark :wink:

Coincidentally on TV… Again… Right now.

1 Like

This was the promo from Seven for :Coming to October

Coming to October

imageimage

Their schedule has now been released up to November with no Instant Hotel of Secret Daughter to be seen. I wonder why they didn’t make the cut as both would be ready to broadcast and why US import The Good Doctor, instead, made it into the line-up.

2 Likes

I think Seven putting The Good Doctor in the schedule is a last minute decision after the programmers saw its US ratings. They may start Instant Hotel during Melbourne Cup week.

2 Likes

That means it has been airing in the US already which also means people can watch the show via other means. I don’t know why they bother.

1 Like

Not sure why Seven would go with US content when they apparently have new Australian shows available.

3 Likes

Yeah. There shouldn’t be any American content on the main channel.

They’re turning into Ten! :smile:

Remember when Ten was criticised (and still is at times) for airing too much US programming in prime-time?

–

“Goodfellas” (1990) will air in Adelaide and Perth on 7mate on Friday night, first time on Seven (after airing for a long time on Nine).

A gangster-crime classic!

At least Seven are utilising their new Warner Bros deal a lot lately

8 Likes

But back then all those shows rated well for Ten, so why wouldn’t they continue airing them?

1 Like

It’s all relative. You might think Ten were rating “well” but Seven and Nine were rating spectacularly in comparison.

1 Like

NCIS was rating “spectacularly” though?

Over 1.5m (metro) for those middle seasons (4-6, 2007-2009) particularly.

Spectacular for now, but Nine and Seven had a couple of shows a week which would hit 1.5 million. 6pm Sunday news, basically all of Sunday and most of Mondays would do 1.5 million reliably.

Go back to 2001 and you’ll find that there were something like 60 shows which averaged over a million for their entire season.

But most of them were American, so actually sav001 has a point.

2 Likes

Indeed. Packed to the Rafters was still rating 1.8-2.3m.

1 Like

10 years ago in 2007, US drama /comedy was a big part of all commercial network line-ups. A popular show would often deliver the night for the network. Ten would win nights with shows like NCIS and especially House while Seven had Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy and Ugly Betty while Nine could win a night when CSI or CSI Miami was shown. ABC wasn’t immune either with New Tricks and Midsomer Murders in the top rated shows.

Of the top dramas on TV at the time only a few were Australian and Packed to the Rafters hadn’t started when the Chaser ad was made. City Homicide was the number one serial drama at the time with House number two followed by Grey’s and CSI.

5 Likes

Twas a great show.

Seven’s answer to an Aussie police procedural, after Blue Heelers was axed after 13 years.

What were Heelers’ ratings when it was axed, surely double or triple (if not more) of some of the Aussie dramas on now? Many were so upset ir didn’t go a few more years. Tied with Prisoner didn’t it? All good things must come to an end I guess

I feel strongly that US comedy and drama would still be a large part of the schedule if networks delivered them in a timely fashion and scheduled them in regular time slots. Viewers just became tired of having to work so hard to keep track of their favourite shows and the unreliability. Now Australian drama can’t find an audience because end times for the big tent pole shows are so haphazard. They really have shot themselves in both feet.

8 Likes