Seven Network 2022

That one.

2 Likes

Don’t say my comment is stupid. There’s no need for attacks.

The sooner people realise that there are options, the happier that they’ll be.

If you don’t like entertainment shows, go to the ABC.

If you want drama, go to streaming.

Stop wasting time in places where your content isn’t going to be.

Personally I love dramas, and would love it if Seven produced some crime/police dramas in the heart of Sydney and Melbourne, or even some family dramas like Packed to the Rafters style shows, but I can understand why they aren’t doing it because of production costs. Still a shame though.

Not surprised to see how many entertainment shows there are (The Voice, The Voice Generations, Idol and AGT). These shows usually rate very well so probably a smart move. I’m assuming The Voice Generations will premiere Sunday 30th January.

Looking forward to MKR’s comeback. Hope it does well, given it’s airing in the second half of the year but might have to go up against The Block unfortunately. Will be interesting to see who the judges are. I expect there will have to be some manufactured drama, but fingers crossed not as much as previous seasons.

Don’t have the highest hopes for Apartment Rules, but hope I’m proven wrong. Farmer Wants a Wife with Sam Armytage joining as a matcher sounds feel good and nice.

You’d wonder if there’ll be any Olympic fatigue considering Seven are showing both the Winter Olympics and Paralympics. I assume they’ll be left to 8:30pm/9pm once the reality shows are out of the way.

Was going to say something similar - poor, especially when the network claims they are #1 in local drama too

2 Likes

Not an attack at all. My opinion that it’s a stupid comment to say it’s wasted.

Seven giving up is a bad thing not investing because they will lose more eyeballs to the other streaming services which is 100% what they don’t want.

What I see in their lack of investment isn’t that they think drama isn’t worth it, I feel they are struggling to see anything of quality that they can back and monetise in an effective way across multi platform like say Nine do.
Which I understand, but they have put themselves into this box by not investing in this infrastructure earlier and developing new talent.
Perfect example is resting on Bevan Lee for the Between two worlds. The show was horrible, and they only went for it because he was attached to it.

It’s a problem they have more than the other networks IMO.

Also, I don’t watch 7 as much because they don’t have what I want. I have about 9 streaming services and I do go where I want what I want. But 7 wouldn’t want me doing that though, that is my point, they want my eyeballs but they are again setting their whole strategy around reality .

1 Like

Program grid

Everything from Seven:

1 Like

Yeah it is a shame. I don’t want Home and Away be axed but it makes me wonder where the investment in that would go if that wasn’t on air…

Was hoping to see an announcement about the T20 World Cup 2021 or more realistically, the Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

2 Likes

Also no announcement on the rescheduled Rugby League World Cup 2022.

5 Likes

If anything, Seven’s 2022 programming sounds even worse than Nine’s fairly uninspiring lineup for next year.

Honestly…most of their “new” local shows are actually just revived programs or spin-offs of formats already airing on Seven. Talk about pathetic!

Fingers crossed that Ten, the ABC and SBS will have considerably more interesting programs to watch next year. But once again, I am prepared to be disappointed!

I personally suspect that if it wasn’t for H&A (and overseas markets which have undoubtedly given that show a longer life than it otherwise might’ve enjoyed), Seven’s drama department very well might go the way of their children’s programming department.

Of course while I don’t particularly care for this program myself, Home & Away actually isn’t on the list of shows which you’re likely to see me recommending the axe for. Although I do wonder how long Seven will continue running it on their main channel for.

2 Likes

So Seven has regained broadcast rights to the Grammy Awards, after Fox Arena aired it in Australia this year.

ICYMI, Fox Nations in the US, ARD Germany and China’s Tencent are production partners on ITV’s ambitious nature documentary A Year on Earth, coming to Seven in late 2022.

1 Like

So of course Channel 7 decides to abandon Australian drama. Why create scripted content and a diverse set of jobs when you can pump out tired, dated reality shit and run cheap imported crap instead.

Such a short sighted approach considering streaming (especially with how well Home & Away does and RFDS) and this confirms that 7 doesn’t give a shit about streaming or numbers. It is alarming they don’t seem to want to be creating any new shows to compete with other streaming services and create an established portfolio of modern scripted content. Streaming long dead Australian shows ad naseum is not the sign of a forward thinking or long term term successful network so I guess they can look forward to stagnating and be another irrelevant channel 10 in in the making.

I do have to have a laugh though when channel 7 insisted that dumping their in house production arm was the right thing forward and Australian drama wouldn’t suffer. Just the usual lies and bullshit.

Also chasing after the younger demo is not going to end well. Younger generations don’t give a fuck about linear tv, especially not sad and dated shows like DWtS or run into the ground pap like MKR.

8 Likes

It would go into even more reality shit. Please don’t be naive and think that expenditure would go into other Australian drama.

Also doesn’t channel 5 in the UK basically pay the cost for most of the show due to their long time rights deal?

1 Like

The thing about Australian drama is that for it to rate well it:

1. Needs to be of a high quality that EVERYONE loves it (so far, only Halifax and Five Bedrooms have been able to achieve that).

2. Committed by the network rather than burning off in double episodes like RFDS was this year.

The most bizarre thing is that Seven, being fairly lazy and reliant on reality and factuals, seem to think that drama is obsolete yet they continue to air Home and Away every night in the primetime slot. It doesn’t make any sense.

Either that goes or they expand their drama output to show their commitment. If Seven showed commitment with shows like RFDS in a similar way to Home and Away then those dramas would rate half well.

Otherwise, the lineup looks same-ish as this year (just with Idol, MKR and Apartment Rules added). Stronger than the doldrums they were in back in 2017-2020 (aka the dark years) but it’s quite a gamble with so many reboots and revivals.

Shame they’re not continuing with Holey Moley as it was one of their bigger shows that could’ve done better had they executed it properly.

4 Likes

My only concern is that they are starting the year with shows that have recently been on.

It’s bad enough we are getting another season of SAS literally a week after tomorrows finale when they could have aired Big Brother VIP first.

I would have done Australian Idol or Australia’s Got Talent first up.

1 Like

No decision has been made on Holey Moley. I reckon it may still air next year.

Agreed. However it looks like The Voice Generations will be coupled with DWTS so at least there’s some depth there (unless if they strip both of them to 3-4 nights a week).

1 Like

With James Warburton as CEO of Seven West Media, it’s surely only a matter of time before Seven becomes another Ten?

I still think MKR is a good move. 7 needed to just tweak it and move it to a later slot. It defeated the block previously, and considering the block is on shaky ground I think this is a smart move.

3 Likes

If the program grid is anything to go with, Seven will start 2022 with The Voice Generations and Dancing With The Stars: All Stars.