Seven HD

Perhaps crystal clear HD will show the age of the RQLD news set too well? :joy:

3 Likes

I highly doubt that the local Seven News bulletins for Regional Queensland are even being produced in HD, although that’s for another topic.

Getting back on track, I really hope that Seven finally makes the switch in Regional Queensland sometime this year. The Gold Coast too, because it’s to my understanding that they currently only get Seven Gold Coast in SD with Seven Brisbane on LCN-70.

3 Likes

So do I - they’re the only ones now out of themselves, Nine and Ten who have an O&O station where the main channel isn’t in HD.

Maybe by 2020 we will see all main channels in HD and 9LIFE and 7FLIX either rolling out or returning to where they once broadcast. Maybe. :crazy_face:

calls @Bort on Media Spy admin hotline to report that we’ve broken our quota

2 Likes

MediaSpyMeme output is down, so we’ve resorted to recycling the classics.

Ping @pelican @AustralianAerial @TheHubMan

6 Likes

As do I but I don’t actually think it’ll happen anytime soon because I don’t think 7 even care.
I’ve tried contacting Seven themselves on a handful of occasions over the last 12 months about 7HD in RQLD and they’ve never replied yet

2 Likes

Launching unannounced seems to be the Seven thing to do. I wouldn’t count on a response!

2 Likes

So now Prime 7 has gone HD , regional Qld is the only market not in HD for Ch 7 ?

No. The other markets where Seven doesn’t have their main channel in HD is Regional WA, Remote Central & Eastern Australia, Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill, Riverland/SE SA, Griffith/MIA, and Darwin.

5 Likes

I think he means the only aggregated (RQLD, NNSW, SNSW, RVIC) Seven market not in HD. All of the non-aggregated markets apart from Tasmania don’t have any HD for Seven.

1 Like

Prime 7 Wollongong also HD. However, picture quality very much looks like upscaled SD most of the time, especially when comparing picture quality with SC Nine HD and WIN HD Wollongong.

It’s definitely native HD. I get both Prime7 HD Wollongong and 7 HD Sydney and they look pretty similar to me.

Here’s a same-frame comparison (hover for Prime7 version):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/131733

In this example, Prime7 HD actually retains the detail a bit better (look closely at the fine pattern on the guy’s vest).

It also shows how much more transparent the Prime7 watermark is compared to 7’s.

11 Likes

Yes, Prime7 HD definitely native HD to my eyes too.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment. If I could just add one more comment for your advice. To my perception the Prime7 HD ads and program promos’ picture quality appears very much sharper when compared to actual program feeds. Maybe my TV, it’s a 65 inch 4K!

I think if there’s some sort of video temporal smoother or low-pass filter (used in video codecs such as H264 to reduce fine detail and improve compressability), it’s probably coming from 7. That would also explain why the ad breaks are clearer (since they don’t come from a 7 feed like programming does).

Here’s another same-frame comparison, but from a Mitsubishi commercial (hover for Prime7 version):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/131835

Again, the Prime HD version is much better at retaining fine detail. Areas to look at:

• The grain pattern to the left of the Mitsubishi logo on the steering wheel
  • The fine lines on the right hand (essentially not visible on 7 HD’s version)
  • The noise in the source video around the vent blowing towards the driver’s window

Even the file sizes of these screenshots seem to indicate that Prime7 HD has more detail – both are lossless PNGs but the 7HD version is 1.0MB while the Prime7 HD version is 1.5MB.

2 Likes

Can you please elaborate?

Outnabout observed that commercials on Prime7 HD are clearer than programming.

I’m not an expert in relation to this, but I believe that Prime7 plays out the station promos and commercials from their own files/systems, independent of 7. When they are showing programming, however, they are forwarding on a clean feed from 7, which they add their watermarks, PRGs, etc. on top of, but ultimately the video footage is still coming from 7’s network feed.

If the filtering is done at 7, then it would make sense that when they break away from the network feed (and show commercials) that that filtering effect is not on the ads and only on the programming.

1 Like

Oh, got ya.

Yeah absolutely, Prime have to get their content provided from somewhere!

Same scenario for 7flix’s programming line-up & play-out.

So what you’re saying is Prime’s (MediaHub) quality settings (colour, aspect, contrast, brightness, sound and more technical aspects I haven’t a clue) are significantly different to Seven’s (BCM) it would seem (i.e.) Ads vs program content

That would be my guess, based on Outnabout’s observations. Though the only difference that was mentioned was the loss of fine detail. The other things (colour, aspect, contrast, brightness, etc.) seem pretty much the same. It could potentially be a bitrate-related issue, though probably not, as I assume the clean network feed Prime7 get would be a much higher bitrate than what’s broadcast to the public.

2 Likes

Not quite the same as 7flix’s commercials and programming would be played out locally from the same servers, not half local and half 7 network feed like the rest of the channels.

1 Like