Seven HD

NFL this weekend wasn’t shown in HD in Melbourne and Adelaide with 7mate now SD in these states. HD was only available in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

I’d much rather have the main channel in HD still.
I don’t care a lot for NFL.

6 Likes

Totally agree with you about the NFL

Yeah, only about ten people watch the NFL in Australia anyway.:stuck_out_tongue:

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/seven-afl-coverage/376/683?u=tv.cynic

The AFL grand final will be shown on 7, 70 and 7Mate in the 5 capital city markets, so will be available in HD.

The 7Mate simulcast probably means that regional areas will get the HD broadcast as well (can’t think of any other reason for it in Melbourne for example).

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…

I know they (most likely) won’t, but the AFL Grand Final is the perfect opportunity for Seven to do a full launch of a HD main channel simulcast in all markets IMO. Preferably for good, but I think that Seven should at least do a full simulcast of the main channel in all markets during the AFL off-season of October-March when there are several premium sporting events running on the main channel during that time which I think viewers in all cities would appreciate seeing in HD!

1 Like

Also Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. Otherwise 7HD would be a simulcast of 7mate

Yeah once the AFL finishes, is there any reason why 7HD would not be rolled out in Brisbane/Gold Coast, Perth & Sydney?

4 Likes

And Regional Qld…

That’s different - there is no channel 70 broadcasting MPEG 4 there.

We have Racing.com in MPEG-4 though.

But I’m afraid that it’s not as simple as switching the main channel to HD for regional Queensland.

Obviously they’ve got to keep an SD MPEG2 simulcast of the main channel running, an upgrade of Seven Queensland’s playout servers to allow for all seven versions of the main channel in Regional Queensland to be shown in HD with the watermark addition just for the HD feed, etc.

It is weird considering how much of the population receives 9 and 10 HD now. Surely something will change in the next 12 months.

2 Likes

Foxtel guide is showing 7HD as a simulcast of 7mate in Syd/Bri/Perth after the AFL Grand Final, so not a good sign.

What would be Seven’s rationale though? Once the AFL ends? in keeping 7mate in HD over 7HD?

Next year’s AFL. Obviously.

And in the 6 months between? Just makes no sense. There must be a long term plan.