Seven Cricket Coverage

Is Seven taking the “Nine role” with Fox or is this exclusive?

We won’t find out until January during Australia women’s home series against Pakistan.

2 Likes

Is that the formal announcement? (also, does Fox have the rights to this? I could swear I’ve seen it included in an ad, but I might be remembering last years’)

Fox have everything ICC. They will be playing the 9 role.

9 will be doing the mens 50 over World Cup later 2023

4 Likes

Fox will be showing it too

1 Like

Well this is a change in approach/words from Nine, who have said in the past, that just one off tournaments weren’t too much in the plan.

Nine’s Director of Sport, (Brent Williams), said: “Any cricket World Cup is a premium event on the international calendar and we’re excited to be the free-to-air home of the 2022 T20 World Cup in Australia and the 2023 World Cup which will be held in India.

1 Like

The ODI Men’s World Cup will be on Nine. It’s the Women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa

4 Likes

I know this is going a bit back, but was the 2018 Women’s T20 World Cup in the West Indies broadcast on a FTA network? I don’t recall that to be the case, nor was the 2021 Men’s edition broadcast on Channel 9, which declined to broadcast it given the unattractive time zone.

So I imagine the FTA rights for the 2023 Women’s tournament were still unallocated and 7 probably saw it as a good opportunity to showcase women’s sport ahead of the FIFA World Cup.

1 Like

Yes, both on Nine, I think all on Gem.

3 Likes

There was no free to air broadcaster for the 2021 T20 World Cup, it was exclusive on Fox.

I was wrong about 9 declining to broadcast the event, it simply wasn’t part of their existing arrangement with Fox.

So, why no free-to-air broadcast given Australia’s anti-siphoning legislation? Well, put simply, the T20 World Cup final falls outside the list – even with Australia and New Zealand involved.

The legislation only covers Australia’s matches and the final of T20 World Cups played on Australian soil – so while that will impact next year’s event here, Foxtel and Kayo are the only way to watch this year’s final.

The Nine Network does have a long-standing arrangement with Foxtel to show Australia’s matches at World Cup events – like it did most recently with the 2019 ODI World Cup in England – but this year’s tournament is not part of their deal.

In brief, this event was originally scheduled as a Champions Trophy 50-over tournament, putting it outside of Nine’s joint-venture with Foxtel. The ICC then changed it to a T20 World Cup in 2018 but it remains outside Nine’s arrangement, hence no broadcast.

5 Likes

Ah yes, that does sound familiar. I think my brain had dug out the previous tournament in India.

1 Like

!!! Brisbane got its own promo for the start of the next test !!! No AEDT and even 7Mate coverage promoted.

Sydney/Melbourneversion:

6 Likes

@spw68 they’re listening to you!

3 Likes

Omg!

2 Likes

A late Christmas present for you! :wink: :joy:

1 Like

I feel privileged :pray:

3 Likes

Now they just need to listen about scheduling H&A as 2x1hour eps, Wednesday and Thursday 7.30, and putting a new CA show at 7pm
Hope they heard that?!

2 Likes

Don’t get too greedy… :joy:

2 Likes

Good to see 7 is at Marvel for game 1. From what it seems they are at the ground for all Melbourne games & some Sydney games.

4 Likes

No excuse for them not to be at Marvel though given it’s virtually next door to the studio.

2 Likes