Seven Cricket Coverage

Is there any chance of 7 going for the cricket rights again? Especially if they don’t get tennis (looking like 9 will retain the tennis)

Nope. Seven are trying to sue Cricket Australia because they didn’t get as much out of the deal as they wanted. James Warburton also called Cricket Australia “the most incompetent organization I’ve ever worked with.” I think Ten would have a chance but Nine could always go for both Cricket/Tennis. Foxtel will not be getting rights if Seven don’t bid.

1 Like

Yeah that seems to be the most likely outcome. I thought since 7 are happy with the Tests & their problem is only with BBL, they might go for just the tests & 9/10 could get BBL & ODI/T20 or something like that.

1 Like

Seven needs to sort out their own problems before even thinking about bidding for cricket. They’re already paying an over-inflated price for AFL. If they want cricket (but does Cricket want them? I don’t think so) then they need to be prepared before it.

Launch an SVOD platform so they can monetise the sport off a paywall and use that to counter Fox’s manoeuvres and mend their bridges with Cricket Australia. Then look at the packages and go for it exclusively rather than having to lie in bed with Foxtel.

1 Like

From the 7 upfront page

“In an exciting announcement for fans, former Australian cricket coach Justin Langer will join Australia’s #1 cricket commentary team for the 2022-23 Summer of Cricket, led by cricket’s most astute commentator, former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting.

Adding to Seven’s incomparable cricket coverage will be former South African batter and arguably the greatest fielder of his time, Jonty Rhodes, former West Indies fast bowlers Ian Bishop and Michael Holding, and New Zealand wicket-keeper Katey Martin”

6 Likes

YESSS! Hopefully as PbP.

1 Like

When I saw that Bish was going to be with 7, I was confused because 7 has never had an international commentator for visiting team as pbp (except Mitchell but she is a permanent part of their commentary team)

But he probably is Pbp since they have 2 international for WI series. 1 analyst & 1 pbp :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Michael Holding was a key part of Nine’s coverage of Australia-West Indies encounters during the 1990s. A great signing.

2 Likes

And the 2000s, His last series with 9 was the 2005 West Indies tour.

4 Likes

I was hoping for Bishop! Holding came to mind as well but I knew he retired from commentating so I didn’t think they’d get him back. One of my all time favourite commentators!

Haven’t heard Jonty Rhodes commentate so I can’t comment there.

4 Likes

That’s genuinely brilliant! Holding had been a staple of Sky’s coverage for many years and always thought he was a classy operator.
Will Seven maybe not bring out Mitchell until the SA series? Hard to see them demoting Brayshaw given he is probably the face of Channel 7 Sport, and Lane is the most respected of the usual trio.

3 Likes

Unless Lane is retiring or scaling back? Or they are adding a fourth to the rotation? Or maybe JB will be the host for those Tests?

2 Likes

7 & CA back in court

1 Like

And the matter is back in court in July 2023.

This will still be going and the next deal will be signed by then. Seven are fucking lunatics.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Nine has the tennis, 10 might miss out again leaving the incumbents

I think Foxtel will be angry at Seven seeing as if Seven won’t bother with Cricket, Foxtel will lose rights as it is likely Cricket will go to Nine/Stan and 10/Paramount, who will not give Foxtel/Kayo rights due to them having their own streaming services.

1 Like

Why would CA deal with a media company that is suing them.

1 Like

10/Paramount will pick these rights up for a bargain.

1 Like

And similarly why would viewers (and CA) want to see cricket on a channel which from the moment they had the deal have made it clear they didn’t want it.

1 Like