Seven Cricket Coverage

the difference comes down to the coverage in the north as an AFL fan (or as a rugby league fan in the south). thats where the simulcast deals are a fantastic deal.

FTA coverage in brisbane is mostly Lions and Suns and as a fan of a victorian side (Carlton) the simulcast deal allows me to see my team play week after week.

Cricket is different as it is our only true national sport. I know in my case, i watch cricket in 4K when avalable on foxtel - i have probally only watched a few hours of 7’s coverage, and thats been when i have been out and about (and to put that in perspective, i work from home over summer and in my office i have an IQ4 hooked to a 55" 4K TV so i can watch cricket in the bakground)

I find fox crickets coverage to be more geared to the cricket nerd where as 7’s needs to be more accessable and i like that balance

2 Likes

What’s your source for this? Why would they pay so much for something they never really wanted?

Sure, Seven paid through the nose for a questionably corrupt deal with CA and Foxtel, but from my understanding, Seven didn’t exercise their first bid rights to originally secure the tennis in the first place. Tennis Australia also didn’t seem too torn apart by the channel switch.

Up until then the rights for BBL and Test/Day cricket were also separate… so they clearly wanted to get the rights to the entire sport. I don’t think anyone can claim that they never wanted it.

I think the current problem is that there’s a combination of a deal that was ridiculous to begin with and a change in Seven’s management who doesn’t agree with the deal that was struck.

What really erks me about all this is that it’s clear that Seven management (both past and present) are oblivious to the current media landscape - to buy up all the rights and splash all that cash, in order provide inferior coverage because they then realise they don’t have the money to spend on it… Add on the insult in trying to sell the rights back to the competitor that you took them from is just odd.

3 Likes

Have to give it to Carddock though, he’s got a point, they should’ve never made the deal in the first place.

1 Like

Back in early 2018, I think they panicked, sport was still seen as ‘vital’ I guess? That all seems to have changed with 10’s successful summer model now. Could be wrong though. But Seven were definitely caught by surprise big time.

3 Likes

It helps when they have another network in Nine who are paying much more for the tennis rights than Seven did

2 Likes

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/fox-and-seven-bring-in-lawyers-in-dispute-with-cricket-australia/news-story/fa3ee6242c2d9b335749bcf9bb9c9ae9

Fox and Seven bring in lawyers in dispute with Cricket Australia

Foxtel confirmed on Tuesday it would also be seeking a reduction in what it pays for broadcast rights. And in a clear indication that the dispute is escalating, Foxtel delivered a legal letter to Cricket Australia on Monday and Seven has hired a high-profile contract lawyer to fight its corner.

Both broadcasters believe a summer that includes the possibility of a Boxing Day Test at Adelaide not the MCG, a Big Bash without access to the biggest local stars and other likely changes is not what they signed up for.

I wonder how much of a discount Seven and Fox want?

4 Likes

Cricket Australia are being run by an absolute bunch of misfits.

Have they never seen the Big Bash before - there is always substantial overlap with the Tests and Limited Overs Internationals, so they almost never get the test team stars in for more than a handful of matches.

These things are worth less to Seven/Fox, not because the quality will be significantly lower, but because the arse fell out of the advertising market. That’s not CA’s fault and they should hold Fox/Seven to the deal or take it back to market.

7 Likes

Look at how well the NRL and AFL worked with their broadcast partners. I believe Racing Victoria are doing the same with the Melbourne Cup. All parties (successful) came together and revised their contracts.

CA need to sit down with Seven / Foxtel and come to an agreement on a real cost for their product during a pandemic. If this goes to a court hearing, then god help cricket in this country.

3 Likes

The core of the AFL/NRL is that their seasons were reduced - significantly fewer matches played, so it makes sense there was a reduction in the broadcast fee.

Seven/Fox are instead going and trying to before a ball is bowled, claim a quality reduction in CA’s product, or that somehow a Boxing Day test being held in Adelaide means it’s worth less?

Clearly CA have mismanaged things - how they can be in such a poor financial situation dispite the overwhelming success of cricket over the years - which could well be why they wouldn’t be willing to negotiate down - but equally they shouldn’t blindly take a reduction with Seven/Fox.

4 Likes

At the end of the day, they don’t have a choice but to renegotiate the contract agreement. It’s pretty much stated in Blank and White within the contract. CA don’t have a case and would be stupid to take try and take this matter to court, knowing they could have dead air over summer. CA should be taking control by planning and working with the broadcasters on a number of scenario.

And moving the Boxing Day test to Adelaide fits this brief.

Before all the covid stuff there was already talk of other venues wanting to snatch the Boxing Day test, and CA have pretty explicitly said in the past it wasn’t guaranteed for the MCG, especially over the issues with pitches there.

Seven/Fox might well have grounds to seek compensation after the matches, but based on the football experience, it might well rate better than previous seasons - so why should CA predetermine that their product is worse?

1 Like

Channel 7 wants out of BBL Cricket Australia TV deal

Cricket Australia’s inability to make the Big Bash League more of a priority in the schedule has pushed Channel 7 to nail a For Sale sign to the product.

Both Channel 10 and Channel 9 – former cricket rights holders – refused to comment on whether they would be interested in snapping up rights should they become available again this summer.

If Seven did opt out of part or all of its deal or sell the BBL, Fox Sports could be poised to swoop in on more exclusive content to improve the value of the $120 million a year it already pays for cricket.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/channel-7-wants-out-of-bbl-cricket-australia-tv-deal/news-story/bd400245aa1cf3d4c2b93c895bba4606

BBL fire sale everything must go!

1 Like

And that’s the end of the BBL.

2 Likes

Again this is just baffling lines being pushed - the BBL can’t get “priority” because they made the season too long in order to make more content for Fox/Seven. They won’t sacrifice games - so of course they can’t have “priority” in the schedule - there’s not enough time.

Cut the season down, fit it mostly in the summer holidays and you’d improve everything about the Big Bash. But I’m sure Seven want the same amount of content for less money…

2 Likes

Fans will lose out as they will have to subscribe to Kayo to watch the matches, if they can’t go to the game.

2 Likes

Channel seven should put the fans first over their egos

I don’t think it is about Seven’s ego. It’s a dud deal that will lose Seven money it seems, so that’s why they want out, I think.

1 Like

Sounds like 7just want test cricket and ditch bbl. fox meets cricket Australia today , 7 on Friday.
Good luck to 7 if they can get out of the deal but I doubt it.

1 Like

10 won’t want the BBL now. Mainly because they don’t have the commentators, they’re all signed to 7 & Fox.

1 Like