Seven Cricket Coverage

Hamish McLachlan just welcomed Glenn McGrath to the Seven team, talking to him live during half time of tonight’s AFL in the SCG television studio.

4 Likes

Here is Hamish’s interview with Glenn:

1 Like

Glenn McGrath to commentate Tests

‘Ooh ahh’ McGrath to Seven

Australian cricketing great Glenn McGrath, will join Australia’s new home of cricket, Channel 7.

McGrath, the world’s highest Test wicket taker among fast bowlers with 564, was renowned for his impeccable line, length and bounce that regularly knocked over some of the best batsman of all time.

Glenn McGrath commented:

“I am excited to join the Channel 7 team and represent the fast bowlers’ brigade in the commentary box. It’s going to be a great summer of cricket and I am proud to join Ricky, Flem and Slats in this new era for the game.”

Channel 7 Head of Cricket Dave Barham said:

“Glenn is one of this country’s greatest ever sportsmen and we are rapt he is joining Seven. He will provide commentary across all our Test Matches this summer, four matches against India and two against Sri Lanka. No one speaks with more authority about fast bowling than Glenn and fans will be treated to his unique insights and vast knowledge all summer on Seven.”

The McGrath signing follows the announcement recently that Australia’s highest ever run-scorer and former captain, Ricky Ponting, will call Test matches and BBL on Seven, alongside Damien Fleming and Michael Slater.

4 Likes
1 Like

*Except for the T20s, ODIs and 16 BBL matches.

For that alone, that hardly justifies that Seven is the ‘Home’ of cricket when Fox has everything and more.

1 Like

I get your point, but the thing is that a free to air channel isn’t comparing themselves to pay tv when they’re talking about that kind of thing.

They’re hardly going to put a disclaimer on it that they’re only referring to FTA channels or what coverage they do / don’t have either.

4 Likes

Well it seems that the telegraphs column about who will be in the Ch7 commentary team has been correct so far with Ponting, Fleming, Slater & now McGrath. I can’t remember who else they said, I think it included Greg Blewett. Personally, I think who they’ve got so far are great signings and I look forward to more announcements on who is joining the team. It will be interesting to see who will be playing the Mark Nicholas (hosting) role?

I’m gonna say Hamish McLachlan will get the hosting role.

If Hamish gets the hosting role, I believe he might not do the commentating duties. It will more likely be Michael slater, Glenn McGrath, Damian Fleming, Ricky Ponting, Basil zempilas, James Brayshaw, Bruce.
With Afl grand final clashing with the Women’s T20 match, I think 7 will probably have to use another host (as McLachlan will be at the grand final at the MCG.) Slats, Glenn, Bowlologist, Punter will more likely to be used for the T20s

There has been rumours about Dennis Cometti joining the coverage As those cricket fans will know Dennis did cover cricket in the late 70s and 80s broadcasting on the ABC

2 Likes

Wouldn’t complain if Dennis Cometti did all Perth based Ch 7 Productions.

Also the tour Seven did in South Africa in the mid 90s and domestic one dayers, mostly Warriors matches when he was with Nine. Very good imo.

Any word on Mel McLaughlin back to BBL hosting? Surely a shoe in, also Barham being her former EP at Ten?

Does she still work at 7? Considering she has been anchoring optus’s World Cup coverage.

Mel presented sport on Seven News Sydney a couple of nights ago this week. I think her Optus Sport stint starts after she finishes her day at Seven.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Who’s Abbey Gelmi?

Former Fox Sports News presenter.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good team. Simon Katich is a great commentator.

3 Likes

I really hope they use at least one commentator from the visiting nation for every Test series and international match they show.

4 Likes