Seven Cricket Coverage

ABC Radio go to the rural report mid session without hesitation

3 Likes

don’t remind me - bane of my existence in Dubbo many years ago.

1 Like

The Country Hour throw is as iconic as the Shipping Forecast on the BBC and like that, is critical to those who it’s intended for.

3 Likes

When Nine first got the rights to the cricket in 1979 the news in Sydney and Melbourne went for about 20 mins during the Perth Test tea break. I assume that Seven will show the 6:20-7:00pm portion on 7mate in Sydney and Melbourne.

Yes, other markets will have one hour of cricket on 7Mate.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see what Seven’s test cricket opener looks like. It will be the first time since 1979 that Brian Bennett’s New Horizon will not be heard on domestic test TV coverage.

Maybe Seven could use the similar Brian Bennett composition Capital City.

2 Likes

…which I believe Nine also used as a Sports theme many years ago! :wink:

1 Like

Not having a go at you or anything, but just curious to know if Today was on air in a situation like this would people still be angry at Nine for pushing cricket to a multichannel in order to Today to air?

I never get the the big deal. Their is 4 channels they can show Cricket on and are. So who cares? Everyone has access to 7mate.

3 Likes

HD for a start.

1 Like

True that. Can they not put sunrise on 7mate or 7two?

Anyone else think it’s odd how Brayshaw has the pleasure of being a host but is also one of the callers? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Okay, there might not be a huge array of cricket callers available for full time test cricket television.

But surely there would’ve been a couple of other options, to loosen up Brayshaw for host only? Especially as his commentary seems to divide many.

You think Brayshaw needs a two hour break to prepare for the next hosting spot? Richie Benaud coped with the pressure.

1 Like

No, Benaud and Nicholas didn’t have any problems. I’m curious as to why they need bother with a separate at host anyway.

1 Like

Is this a question that requires an answer?

I was questioning why/if Brayshaw needs to commentate at all.

1 Like

Note Tim Lane and Glenn McGrath are also calling the test for Macquarie Sports Radio, while Gillespie will provide special comments for ABC Radio.

2 Likes

Right.

1 Like

Does Test cricket need ball-by-ball commentators? I hope they still let them talk about the game and not just ‘call’ it.

I can also imagine Mel getting really bored during the day without her involved in commentary

1 Like

Wouldn’t want to prognosticate. Have to just wait and see :slight_smile:

Edit

In regards to Seven’s opting for a play-by-play approach like say AFL/NRL, perhaps part of their own new ID for cricket? Back to traditional radio roots? I actually prefer it.

Nine’s chatter/locker room banter style in recent years is what got them into the shit!

1 Like