Seven Cricket Coverage

All but one of the matches scheduled on Saturday’s during the season are exclusive to Fox

I don’t understand why scheduling a Big Bash match on Christmas Eve has anything to do with fooling people? Those who want to watch Carols can still do so while those who want to watch cricket/sports on Christmas Eve now have the option to do so

4 Likes

Which allows Seven to honour its existing commitments to Carols in the Domain in late December, Magic Millions horse race and Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road cycling race in January and Bathurst 12 Hour motor racing event and the start of AFLW season in the first weekend of February.

1 Like

You’re kidding yourself if you think Seven had no part in it, as a counter-programming move. They’re a network after all and are all about ratings and revenue.

which is on 7mate nation wide so how does that affect 7 Cricket coverage? Perth due to the time zone?

Won’t bother me as I will be in Bathurst that weekend to watch the awesome so much better than Supercars event.

Of course Seven would have had some role in the decision. However, Cricket Australia have been considering whether a BBL game could be played on Christmas Day for a while now so it’s not far fetched to think that they’ve scheduled a Christmas Eve game as a ‘trial’ of sorts for that.

1 Like

Responding in this thread so that the Ten/CBS thread doesn’t get clogged

Beyond all of those factors, the thing we don’t know yet is how much of an impact Fox Cricket will have on the figures Seven gets for their coverage. While Fox Footy & Fox League have impacted FTA AFL/NRL ratings to various extents, it wouldn’t be surprising if the impact on Seven is even greater considering cricket is a ‘national’ sport

2 Likes

I agree with you there. I think the thing Fox Footy and Fox League do well (if unintentionally) is cater to the fan on the wrong side of the barassi line. When I lived in Melbourne I was a storm member. Getting NRL news in melbourne can be a little difficult but fox league makes it easier.

I now live in Brisbane and also support Carlton in the AFL. by having fox footy i can see my team play every week and this i think would grow the total pot of fans, but with cricket… i can’t see that happening

1 Like

According to the Courier-Mail Seven will produce the coverage of all BBL games they broadcast but will rely on a Fox Feed for the Test Matches. Fox have said they will increase the level of the stump mics, whilst Seven have said they will keep them low.

4 Likes

As in just the cameras/vision for tests? As we know they’re using their own commentary team/studio and surely their own graphics?

Yeah it will be a similar arrangement to the Rugby simulcasts on Ten I assume.

1 Like

OH God, so it’s going to be really bad! :flushed:

So you’re not just a blatant Nine fan boi (with an obsessive taste for their sport, particularly cricket - or used to anyway).

But you’re also anti-Seven, especially when a single second of their new cricket hasn’t even been broadcast yet :roll_eyes:

I don’t think that user is a Nine fan boi. They just like sports to be exclusive to be on Free to Air. Like how cricket used to be last season. Once people know that certain parts of the International Cricket isn’t on Free to Air, watch their ratings drop.

1 Like

Pull your head in.

@akymbo82, as @William_C pointed out, has been critical of the deal as a whole, not because it’s on Seven, but because of the split nature of the deal, which is fair enough.

Remarkably you can just be a cricket fan rather than become attached to the network that shows it.

Trolling people about their sports tastes might work for you on twitter but leave it for there and not here.

7 Likes

Been meaning to ask, anyone been watching the Lord’s Test?

Chris Woakes scored his maiden century, was chatting with someone at church this morning. Of which discussion on other sports also came up, including them not realising cricket will be on Seven and tennis on Nine :joy:

A profile picture of a former host of said network really helps his case.

Agreed, I haven’t not noticed that.

For sure.

Laughable. I am not even going to go there, we’ve been through this on many fronts before. I have said countless times I don’t use twitter nor am I any of those people.

Sorry if I came across overly mean to @akymbo82 but we’re entitled to our views and opinions and to express them aren’t we?

You’ve been here long enough to know we have a cricket thread. This series is not being broadcast on 7.

:roll_eyes:.

Lol.

The only opinions that you expressed in that post were that Akymbo was a Nine fanboi and how we can’t criticise Seven’s coverage if we haven’t seen it. Not exactly what I’d call great discussion.

3 Likes

Well if you followed the cricket posts on this site you would have realised that I have Mark as my Avatar as joke, in response to a comment made in the past. Didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed to make comment on cricket based on this.

Also my response to the above, is in regards to the fact that anything that hasn’t been exclusive has been lacklustre on FTV. It’s an early comment from myself yes, but if Supercars, Union has shown anything it could be bad.

I guess if I put in “could be” in the first response it would have made a difference.

In regards to which way I swing; “nineboi”; oh that’s laughable. I am a fan of sport and still struggle with the idea that cricket isn’t going to be free for all. Also don’t get the economics behind having cricket on duel stations.

If you spilt 400k watching the first session of a test match between fox and seven, where is Seven going to make money. Any business will do a quick check to see if it’s profitable and when they realise it isn’t making money, then watch the cuts come quick than the cut shots by the Aussies.

What suffers, will be the viewers.

5 Likes

Ricky Ponting doing some good work here, warming up for the cricket coverage.

BetEasy advertised during Seven’s AFL coverage last night.

1 Like

People forget that Seven had done cricket in the past.

In the 70’s well before Paxker got the itch for WSC HSV-7 (what is known as Seven Melbourne today) did commercial cricket broadcasting, then in the late 90’s and early 2000’s via C7 Sport.

But you know, its new because Foxtel said so.

1 Like

I think Seven also covered Australia’s tour of South Africa in 1996/97.

1 Like