Seven Cricket Coverage

The same match airing on 7 and 7mate at the same time. :roll_eyes:

Sydney update:
Seven News at 4pm was not shown. Its 5pm and no signs of going to The Chase (bummer!).
Big Bash simulcast on Seven and 7Mate.

No 4pm news in Brisbane either. No simulcast though.

1 Like

The cricket was simulcast in Melbourne in its entirety on Seven and 7mate as well.

With the Renegades’ seven wicket win over the Heat this afternoon, this season’s BBL finals schedule is now set. The Thunder claim the last finals spot and will face the Hurricanes in Hobart this Thursday night.

All matches will be shown live on Seven and 7mate.

2 Likes

Will the BBL09 Final be played on a Saturday Night or not?

1 Like

Yes

4 Likes

The charity match will be streamed on 7plus nationally.

1 Like

Looking forward to streaming cricket for the first time on 7Plus!

Yes. Hope someone in Adelaide can get a cap!

As expected with this toxic cricket rights deal.

4 Likes

And we’ve still got what 4 years to go. Well done CA.

6 Likes

They’ll go close to killing the sport.

3 Likes

The worst part about this deal is that with the gradual decline in FTA ratings, you’d think Cricket Australia will maximize their potential by full exposure on FTA and streaming. Instead they chose the stupid path of being locked behind a paywall and FTA only getting a ‘sample’ with no streaming, leading to the acceleration of FTA decline than help stablize FTA decline.

If only Fox was cutting costs when negotiating the rights, then they wouldn’t have stood a chance.

3 Likes

A 10% drop on fox sports is huge. They can’t afford to lose people this quickly; the more this happens the quicker the cuts happen.

The next 12mths in sports rights is going to be very interesting; one whom get them and 2 how much is paid for them.

1 Like

The Reasons why ratings are down on Fox. Possibly due to fox sports plans to cut staff following financial losses. 61 match competition for BBL Franchise is too much.
No wonder Channel 7’s ratings during the summer period is lower than Channel 9 due to tennis. I think Tennis is becoming a Number 1 summer sport in Australia due to ratings.

1 Like

As mentioned by others, if Adelaide and Perth realised they have remotes and can change the channel from 7 to something else than 7 would be in a massive hole.

Even this week with some massive games at the tennis Seven still won in Perth!

As for cricket, CA killed the goose that laid the Golden Egg. Afternoon games in the middle Of the week and in summer isn’t smart.

On top of that Adelaide crowds have dropped by approx 12,000 per game! Normally every game after X-Mas is sold out, this year one. And they couldn’t even get Australia Day sold out, which in the past has been the home of cricket on that day.

Nine got lucky with two things, getting out of the cricket when the sand paper happened and picked up tennis when Australians finally found form; in particular Barty.

Ten is the unluckily loser, well what seemed to be at the time, but they have to hold steady and hit any sports hard with good negotiating, which in the past has been poor.

3 Likes

You have to remember that Seven’s ratings for test series against NZ were up by around 10% from last summer’s series against India. That increase doesn’t compensate for the fall in BBL ratings.

It’s a mystery to me how anyone can calculate the change in ratings of the BBL on Seven over time given the number of different codings that Seven put into the OzTAM system. One thing I have noticed is that when the consolidated numbers come out 7 days later with the time-corrected ratings the BBL numbers are nearly always lower than what was originally reported in the overnight numbers.

I think this analysis also validates the criticism that Network 10 had of Seven when that network boasted in a tweet that the ratings for BBL were higher than I’m A Celebrity by using the “reach” numbers. Not only was that not a valid comparison, it also ignored that I’m A Celebrity is replayed the next afternoon on 10 and has a considerable consolidated audience as well as a 10Play audience. In short, 10’s reality line-up has really damaged the sport especially with the decision to go early this year.

3 Likes

In regards with Johnson’s Post:
I feel that with the Day Night Test in Perth stadium, ratings have been up on the east coast. However the crowd numbers failed to crack the 25k mark at Optus. Something needs to be done to increase numbers, otherwise it will struggle.
I looked at the attendances and noticed that’s crowd numbers are in decline since the BBL06 season. It must be Due to CA wanting some BBL teams to play 2ndary venues. A Melbourne Derby at the Mcg failed to go past 50000.

1 Like

It’s a worrying trend for 7 and CA. They expanded to 61 games this year but crowds are down.

Even Adelaide Oval was empty on Australia Day for the Strikers game