Seven AFL Coverage

4 Likes

What on earth is going on in Perth tonight?

In what is the markets biggest AFL game this year!

Game on 7mate, movie on Ch 7 & News after 8:30pm on Ch 7?

Makes it unequivocal that it was a ploy, just to get a huge share for 7mate :expressionless:

Maybe because AFL is broadcast on 7Mate in Perth throughout the rest of the year? It’s not like people are still watching analogue broadcasts or somehow won’t be able to find 7Mate.

No need to turn it into a conspiracy.

7 Likes

I thought the reasoning for AFL coverage being on 7mate in Perth (especially for night games) could be summed up in two words: Time difference!

Most TV sets in Perth probably have easy access to 7mate, so I doubt it really matters whether the AFL is on the main channel or a multichannel anymore.

1 Like

I do believe 7 has change Hd to mate just for today

2 Likes

But last Saturday night was on the main channel in Perth?

That was my point.

1 Like

i really can’t understand the difference from last Saturday to this Saturday night with one game 0n 7hd and then the next one on mate !!!

1 Like

Last Saturday night the game was on at a later time and they had half an hour between the two games of the day that were on to slot in their precious news. Seven still have to show their news somehow and clearly they don’t want to show it as early as 4:00, at half time or at 8:00-8:30 after the game. So the main channel has to have the ‘generic’ schedule so the news can still be on at 6:00. At least Seven have thought to switch 70 to 7mate for the game today so it can still be seen in HD…

2 Likes

the strange thing is there will be special 7 news edition on 7 after the footy finishes tonight around 8.45pm

1 Like

No doubt this will only be focusing on the result of tonight’s game though to inform everyone watching the main channel if the Eagles won or lost, not the rest of the days news. Isn’t it only scheduled to be only 15 or so minutes long between the two movies tonight?

But that’s just it!

On the main channel, rather than 7mate (where there would be a huge audience leading-in).

I’ll be interested to see some caps / how Seven promote Seven News tonight in Perth.

As well as the ratings tomorrow.

But again, it’s really all for one reason, to give 7mate a huge share tonight :roll_eyes:

Next Saturday’s preliminary final between Richmond and GWS will start at 4.45pm AEST, which means a massive TV audience going into primetime especially in Melbourne. Seven’s telecast starts at 3.30pm AEST according to Sam Lane tonight.

2 Likes

It’s a bizarre time, last year’s Prelim was 5:25pm.

According to the AFL, it was a request from GWS, to allow for specific post-game flight arrangements (especially if they win).

I also think it may have been a request from Seven (as @JohnsonTV hinted), seeing it was always going to be twilight, to provide a better prime-time programming set-up (lead-in)?

Seven News could be the new 2017 high, only broken again after the AFL GF and Melbourne Cup?

1 Like

First Preliminary Final: Adelaide Crows v Geelong Cats at Adelaide Oval, Friday September 22, 7:20pm local time/7:50pm EST.

Second Preliminary Final: Richmond v GWS Giants at the MCG, Saturday September 23, 4:45pm EST.

4 Likes

Grand Final day line-up

Preliminary

Saturday 30 September (all AEST)

12:00 AM Footy Flashbacks: 2016 Grand Final - Sydney v Western Bulldogs (Rpt)
The Western Bulldogs were enduring the longest existing premiership drought in AFL history when they met the Sydney Swans at the MCG last year for the 2016 AFL Grand Final.

01:00 AM Footy Flashbacks: 1975 Grand Final - Hawthorn v North Melbourne (Rpt)
The Kangaroos had been in the competition for 50 years before they took on the Hawks at the MCG with hopes of winning their first flag.

02:00 AM Footy Flashbacks: 1990 Grand Final - Essendon v Collingwood (Rpt)
Note: AFL markets only

03:00 AM Footy Flashbacks: 1989 Grand Final - Hawthorn v Geelong (Rpt)
SANDY ROBERTS relives the memorable 1989 Grand Final featuring Hawthorn and Geelong. Starring:GARY AYRES,GARY HOCKING,SANDY ROBERTS,NEIL KEARNEY

04:00 AM Footy Flashbacks: 1977 Grand Final - North Melbourne v Collingwood (Rpt)

05:00 AM NBC Today TBC

07:00 AM Weekend Sunrise

09:00 AM AFL Game Day
Hamish McLachlan hosts the biggest names in the game for a lively look at all the weekend’s action, footy news and issues.

11:00 AM AFL Pre-Game LIVE
The Saturday Night Footy team take over at 11am from Federation Square to preview the big game.

02:00 PM AFL: Grand Final LIVE
The 2017 AFL Premiership season culminates at the MCG with the two best teams and 44 of its best players in front of 100,000 passionate supporters. Bruce McAvaney and Brian Taylor lead the call.

5 Likes

Interesting. It looks like the traditional Grand Final marathon won’t be hosted by Tim Watson for the first time in a few years.

2 Likes

Seven doesn’t televise any of the lower grade Grand Finals anymore do they, and they haven’t done this for quite a few years now?? I wonder why?

TAC Cup (under-18s) have been moved away from AFL Grand Final day for a few years. Part of it could be AFL’s scheduling.
This year’s TAC Cup grand final will be held at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium next Sunday night (September 24) after the VFL women’s and men’s grand finals.

3 Likes

They do televise the VFL Grand Final (in Victoria only) but it’s on the Sunday the week before the AFL Grand Final

1 Like

Also doing the VWFL before the VFL grand final this year according to promos they had on yesterday during the coverage.

1 Like