Seven AFL Coverage

It is in Springfield, Ipswich. It will be hosting Modern Pentathlon at the 2032 Olympics.

6 Likes

I believe that was an early option

1 Like
6 Likes

Regarding the return of a Sunday morning AFL show, it would be great. No word yet if it will be AFL Game Day.

A few comments on the TVTonight site all say the same thing. That Seven really should have more AFL shows, being the home of the AFL. A few years ago, Game Day and Talking Footy disappeared. Sure, they have The Front Bar, but that’s more entertainment than a proper panel show. While Nine still has The Sunday Footy Show and Footy Classified (twice a week).

2 Likes

My opinion of Gameday was it was just a poor mans Sunday Footy Show. Not as entertaining, funny or insightful as what Nine were and are offering, although I suspect Seven were targeting a much younger audience.

No doubt they need a bigger presence in supplementary AFL shows but I hope what they end up with is a bit less underwhelming than the old Gameday.

4 Likes

According to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, Abbey Holmes wants to go one step further and become a play-by-play commentator, and has been learning the skills from Brian Taylor.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/yes-she-can-abbey-holmes-eyes-off-afl-footy-calling-role/news-story/b3d947e0f78406edfac3e422f494b51e

6 Likes

She’s a superstar

1 Like

That actually great news, new voices are always refreshing

1 Like

I’ve noticed she’s been doing expert comms for AFLW coverage. Interesting to see how she goes in the role of pbp!

3 Likes

Seven News’ Tom Browne reported this evening that the AFL had scheduled two blockbuster matches to open the 2023 season in March. Richmond will play Carlton in the season opener at the MCG on the Thursday, followed by Collingwood taking on reigning premiers Geelong at the same venue the following night.

The AFL will release the round 1 fixture this weekend, with the rest to come sometime next week.

1 Like

IMO it should be Geelong v. Sydney on Thursday night.

They will be saving that as a Geelong home game at GMHBA once the new stand is ready (probably about round 7 or 8) - so that the flag can be unveiled before the rematch.

Excellent scheduling. A Collingwood and Geelong blockbuster in Round 1 will be great for both crowd and television audiences. I’d expect the Pies will (quite rightly) get lots of Friday night and Sunday afternoon matches on Seven this year.

4 Likes

GF replay didn’t work this year (crowd wise) & they are not going to do it at the MCG + GMHBA is not ready until later (R8-9)