Seven AFL Coverage

Also, it’s not even Seven who make the coverage.

I’m curious as to how she managed that one!

Wish they’d give Sam Lane a more prominent role given her talents and long association with both AFLM and AFLW. Seven’s reliance on past players rather than professional broadcasters is tiresome and regularly means bad tv.

6 Likes

What’s that?

the mens competition

1 Like

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

That’s known as “the AFL”.

3 Likes

Not to mention Seven poached her (including much fanfare/ on-air promos at the time) from 10’s BTG for 2013 (she stayed with 10 for 2012 even though they had lost rights). She was part of the Saturday night pre-game, half-time and post-game for years, later known as “The Kick”. But around 2018-2019 she sort of disappeared, Nat Edwards later replacing, perhaps they/she wanted to focus on AFLW coverage? I think she also moved to Sydney and was also a regular on Weekend Sunrise.
She was part of BTG for 10 years and dates back to the late 1990s writing for The Age. She is the daughter of iconic sports broadcaster Tim Lane.

(video thanks to MelbTV on YT):

5 Likes

Sorry - AFLW Broadcast Guide was mixed up lol

2 Likes

Seven’s Thursday Night Football coverage was recognised at the AFL Awards Night tonight, for their interview with inspirational Carlton defender Sam Docherty on his return to the football field.

3 Likes

Couplea snowflakes here

6 Likes

It is just me or is the picture quality tonight very poor on the wide shots? I can’t tell if its just the lighting at Ikon Park or low bit rate from Seven’s feed.

It’s fact. The men’s league is the AFL. AFLM refers to an amateur masters competition for players of all genders above the age of 35. There is no television coverage of AFLM, as it is a purely recreational league.

4 Likes

the M stands for Masters in AFLM hence why the AFL don’t call their men’s competition AFLM

AFLM is gaining in popularity amongst many followers especially those who follow and offer analysis and commentary on the AFLW competitiin. It’s a useful way to differentiate between the two. Never heard masters referred to as AFLM, usually just masters and people who know, know exactly what it means and not because Wikipedia tells them.

Language changes over time, wouldn’t be shocked to see the men’s league rebranded at some point to assist disambiguation of the top level of Aussie Rules for men and women.

1 Like

The full time stats etc of the AFLW match used white for Collingwood instead of the generic black.

1 Like

To match their light guernseys?

3 Likes

Yes, normally while the scoreboard matches it, the full time stats stuff used the generic colour

1 Like

Looked like lower quality cameras in use for the wider shots.

2 Likes

That is shocking quality, would’ve expected better from JAM.