Seven AFL Coverage

Surely this is on the main channel in Brisbane as the Lions are playing.

5 Likes

I get the feeling that the Fremantle-Western Bulldogs game will probably have to be shown on the main channel in Perth.

This might be me but I’m not sure how 1st place team doesn’t get a prime time slot. Especially when it’s cats v pies at the mcg

5 Likes

No Sunday afternoon due to AFLW

1 Like

Will post an updated schedule when Seven advises.

2 Likes

Cats prefer arvo as fans can travel to and from game.

4 Likes

Geelong v Collingwood was scheduled for the Saturday afternoon because the losing team will host Fremantle or Western Bulldogs in the semi final the following Saturday.

The AFL left it quite late to announce the fixture for the first week of the finals.

1 Like

Left it quite late? The Saints-Swans game only finished 2 hrs before the fixture was released. How earlier could they have announced it?

3 Likes

I think they wanted Dees/Swans on a Thursday but would have been unfair to the Swans who had one of their best players go in the concussion protocol.
A Thursday night game would have seen him automatically miss due to the 12 day concussion protocol.

1 Like

In the past, the AFL revealed the week one finals fixture 15-45 minutes after the conclusion of the final home and away match of the season. So a two hour gap was a bit unusual.

3 Likes

Kinda hard to announce a fixture without knowing who’s playing, and when. The AFL could’ve announced a rough schedule for the games, but without the teams entered there was no point in doing so. The Saints vs Swans game had to conclude and be signed off to ensure that Sydney were either in the top 4, or below in 5th spot before the AFL could announce anything.

2 Likes

The finals dont get played on Sunday Afternoons so they can maintain a minimum break for all teams

8 Likes

Plus it allows time for Geelong fans to get back home to Geelong at a more reasonable time

2 Likes

That would just be bad luck sorry

1 Like

Once Collingwood won, there was only two alternatives (Melbourne or Sydney host the QF), so they could have worked out two different options so that when the result was known end of the round they could just hit publish.

A few more possibilities than that. Saints/Swans was a close game in the end, a Saints win would have dropped the Swans to 5th adding more possibilities

1 Like

It’s also so the VFL, SANFL and WAFL finals get some coverage

The matchups and locations are no good, so it probably took a while to figure out the best option

1 Like

VFL Finals live on Channel 7 in Victoria, and 7plus nationally:

Saturday 27 August
01:00PM First Qualifying Final: Casey Demons v Sydney Swans (Casey Fields)

Sunday 28 August
01:00PM Second Elimination Final: Collingwood v Carlton (Victoria Park)

The other two games will be live on afl.com.au

1 Like

Oh boo hoo.