Seven AFL Coverage

I think you have a point here.
In Round 5 (Anzac Day round) both the Eagles and the Dockers are playing on Saturday so there is no way their matches will be shown on delay into WA. I reckon Sunday’s match between North Melbourne and Hawthorn (produced by Seven) will not be shown on FTA in WA at all, but it still leaves the state with five games on FTA, on Friday night, Saturday, Tuesday night and Wednesday.

1 Like

Or Jason Bennett.

2 Likes

Jason covering for Hamish today. (Cameron Ling filled in for Hamish on Game Day)

1 Like

Still April fools Ch7???

2 Likes

New graphics

New sponsor billboard

3 Likes

All AFL coverage moves to 7mate for Round 3, including the Friday Night Footy blockbuster between traditional arch rivals Carlton and Collingwood.

2 Likes

Fantastic, all the coverage in Standard Blurry Definition!

2 Likes

Potentially. There’s a chance Seven could switch the HD channel to 7mate.

And show the Commonwealth Games in SD?

Although some regional areas (which still have 7mate in MPEG2 SD rather than main channel content in MPEG4 HD) might get the coverage in HD.

IMO, the chances of Seven prioritising HD coverage of a couple of early season rounds of AFL over the Commonwealth Games are very slim to none.

Hope not. I made the comment earlier that Commonwealth Games coverage from Australia is much much more important than the AFL. Surely you can cope with 2 rounds out of the 23 and finals this season in SD!! You can see the AFL on most weekends of the winter months of the year every year, the Commonwealth Games only comes around once every four years. Just live with it or get Foxtel if you so desire to have AFL games in HD…

3 Likes

At the same time, the Commonwealth Games is not the event it was. For many sports it’s not even their pinnacle this year. The ratings will still be good, but AFL fans have a right to be annoyed.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that the interest in the Commonwealth Games will grow with it being on the Gold Coast.

2 Likes

Glad that @parano1a brought this up.

As I called Seven to enquire about that exact thing (AFL arrangements during Commonwealth Games and HD) on Sunday night. Silly me, thinking I’d be put through to anyone on such night, let alone Easter long weekend.

After John Deeks’ pre-recording, I was put through to probably the duty switchboard operator in Sydney. The guy said that yes, AFL is on 7mate in every market during the games and that at this stage the answer is no, as LCN 70 is the HD channel.

But he said to call back Tuesday (today) and ask again, where he’ll put me through to “sport” and that they may change it.

I mentioned to the guy about what Seven did on Anzac Eve game last year (switch LCN 70 to 7mate feed, just for that day, so AFL could be in HD).

I’ll try to call back today and let you know.

Update

So spoke to Seven again, they didn’t put me through to anybody else, just another operator. The lady did say (and this might be obvious) that they’re contracted to show the games on the primary channel and that they can only have one channel operating in high definition, hence the games.

So she said the AFL will definitely only be available on 7mate (standard definition) during the duration of the games.

Again, she said changes can be made very late and it’s not guaranteed than the situation won’t change closer to Friday. I did mention the Anzac Eve example again, but of course there was no Commonwealth Games that night last year, it was MKR.

So viewers have got Buckley’s and none of getting AFL in HD (good play on words too, as Collingwood’s coach is Nathan Buckley :joy:)

2 Likes

I mean, Fox Footy is a thing

3 Likes

Of course, sorry, for free to air viewers that is.

1 Like

Should also point out that Friday Night Countdown, The Kick on Saturday, Sunday Soapbox and Talking Footy on Monday are all out of schedule.

Apart from the second show, which would overlap with Commonwealth Games coverage between 6pm-7pm (due to news on main channel), not sure why the others aren’t airing?

Friday pre game one is usually on 7mate at 7pm nationally anyway, current guides/EPG just saying Pawn Stars?

1 Like

AFL website has an article on it about all games being on 7mate the next 2 weeks.
Do find it weird that Talking Footy etc have disappears but I guess 7 will be light on for talent given most talent not on the GC have radio commitments.

1 Like

I was trying to remember Rio 2016, was every AFL game on 7mate then too and all AFL in SD?