Seven AFL Coverage

might only be allowed in a designated area

3 Likes

Especially following the fallout a couple of years ago at the MCG (think it was Fox Footy from memory for a marquee match but didn’t have host rights that game) but the desk set-up was in the upper stands took out the official disability zone and two prominent wheelchair patrons who happened to be on social media called them out, went viral, reported in media and the AFL changed the policy for broadcasters from then.

Only now allowed inside a ground’s TV studio or on the ground itsself (like Seven now do), no more up in the stands.

1 Like

The area where Seven have set up is next to the ‘away’ team entrance, which leads to the underground level. Given they have to move the desk, lights, and cameras of the oval quickly, is probably the best area.

i think normally the away team doesn’t get the smoke and stuff but since this is gather round they do. 7 probably didn’t think about that.

So early today for the first Sunday game (12:30pm est, 12pm in Sa and 10:30am in Wa but would’ve been 9:30am if yesterday!)

Ratings will be interesting, just how many nationally will watch the two smallest clubs (save for North Melb) on Foxtel including Go/Kayo and Channel 7 in Sydney and Brisbane… For what it’s worth, the match is a close contest so far.

1 Like

Please don’t shoot the messenger - Seven’s week looks disappointing. Will have to wait to see how Foxtel/Kayo goes.

3 Likes

Enjoying Daisy Thomas commentary, might be time to move Richo on Imo

3 Likes

https://x.com/7afl/status/1778374647190610203?s=46

Looks like 7 have started doing commentary cam for their socials. I don’t mind it, it good to see their reactions & it been popular with other sports like NBA, Baseball etc

3 Likes

Plus all the radio stations do it.

3 Likes

Is that Tim Hipsley (Seven News Melbourne sport producer & reporter and former long-time NEW-10 Perth) doing the V/O for the pre-record ‘Half Time Break’ preview?

I thought they used Abbey Gelmi, Emma Freedman and Jade Robran?

2 Likes

Another thing to add to the list of things Jade does atm (though I personally doubt that the AFL team in Melbourne would get a freelance in Adelaide to do the odd V/O).

Currently she’s doing:
Reporting for Sunrise
Reporting for FiveAA Breakfast
Occasionally doing reports for 7News Adelaide
Possibly doing the odd V/O for Seven AFL

3 Likes

She’s actually got a good female V/O voice for sport, add to that Seven audio effects, can see why they use her. Probably stems from her relationships from her time at Docklands around I’m going to say 8 years ago, also did various sports reports, pretty sure covered Melbourne Park during the AO, did she ever read the sports segment?

But like Rebecca Morse, James Wakelin, Joe Hill, Nick Butler, Theo Doropoulis, etc Many SA journos who do stints in Sydney or Melbourne often prefer to return. Although in the case of Paul Kadak, Kate Creedon, Blake Johnson, Ursula Hegar (to name just a few) a lot choose to stay in their new cities.

3 Likes

Not disputing her ability, I just think that it’s unlikely that Seven would use a freelance from Adelaide rather than someone who’s already on the payroll in Melbourne.

Also didn’t know about her time in Melbourne.

3 Likes

Paul Kadak and Blake Johnston both started there career’s at 7 perth

5 Likes

Gold Coast v Hawthorn, what a terrible match to have in FTA prime time today (albeit a Saturday). Will be lucky to sustain over 100k in Melbourne, however Port v Fremantle (Fox) in Adelaide and Wa should rescue Seven’s night

1 Like

The majority of this weekends fixtures are not great matchups given current form - in some respects - its good to see the GC finally get some more widespread FTA coverage though

3 Likes

I do agree with that and they’ve been playing rather well too in recent times

1 Like

Seven will show both Essendon v Collingwood and GWS v Brisbane on Anzac Day, according to advance guides.

1 Like

Rare to have main channel coverage in 4 markets thanks to the teams playing.

5 Likes

Can’t believe this is on FTA, don’t like this from the AFL at all, hijacking the once sole teams of the iconic Essendon v Collingwood clash now in its 30th year and a wasted opportunity to launch or have a big reality episode that night (like on weeknights in the past) with the mammoth Victorian audience during the day tuning-in.

Bloody lucky and privileged if you’re GWS or Brisbane Lions!

1 Like