Seven AFL Coverage

But the got over 60,000 & was a massive game.

So wasn’t it justified?

But I 100% agree otherwise.

Yeah true. I am hearing mumours that GWS will play at Spotless the week after. That will be against the Bulldogs or Hawthorn. It only hold 24,000.

2 Likes

Basil Zempilas presenting Footy Central from the empty news department at Martin Place in Sydney after calling the Sydney v GWS final at Homebush.

1 Like

The suburb is actually Sydney Olympic Park, not Homebush. And it never has been Homebush, it used to be Homebush Bay. The suburb of Homebush is east of Homebush Bay Drive. Annoying that Seven, Nine, radio and newspapers continually get this wrong after 17 years.

5 Likes

“HD” in 7 Sport watermark switched back to bottom right hand corner (as soon as it hit 11pm AEST).

Must be automated/timed? Weird.

A post was merged into an existing topic: AFL footy

2016 high for AFL in Sydney (free-to-air).

~160k for yesterday’s historic derby final on Ch 7.

(Would’ve been around 200k, if not for GWS kicking away & making history).

I thought it would be higher than that.

I think most people would’ve thought the numbers might be a little higher. Still respectable compared to the NRL final yesterday involving the the Melbourne Storm - only 74k in the southern city. The NRL should have scheduled this final for Sunday Afternoon to gain more traction.

I think most of Sydney have just come to the understandaing (yesterday), that there is a second AFL team in the Sydney Market.

With GWS and Sydney still in the finals, Seven couldn’t be happier.

4 Likes

JUST IN

Whopping 437k on Fox Footy for Sydney vs. GWS historic final.

With Ch 7 Sydney, I always thought it’d get around 150k-200k yesterday afternoon (certainly the latter if it’d been a nail biter).

Considering it was 100k+ more than what the biggest Sydney Swans games pulled on 7Mate :slight_smile:

Yes, NRL/Ch 9 would be very disappointed in those Melbourne numbers on main channel (especially when you see a massive 414k still watched the Crows v North game)…

Obviously some fans prefer to watch the AFL and NRL finals ad-free. Seven and Nine will continue to feel the pain of having their finals audiences diluted for the next five years.
I wonder what time GWS’s preliminary final will be played? Will it be a twilight game so the away team (Hawthorn or Western Bulldogs) can fly back to Melbourne after the match (since there is a 11pm curfew at Sydney Airport), yet generating good ratings for Seven in early evening?

2 Likes

It took 3 channels in Sydney for Seven to get that 160k figure. AFL would be disappointed, probably wanted 200k

It seems like not just in the finals but during the season that Seven’s ratings have held up better than Nine’s have with the Fox simulcast.

1 Like

What do you mean? was it also broadcast on 7mate?

Yep. Seven, 7mate and 7HD.

I kind of dreading who replaces Dennis Cometti.I hope it isn’t Hamish McLachlan or or Brian Taylor, but it will likely be either one of those two.

it’s not even for me, the fact it’s ad free. it’s the fact that i turn on fox and it’s on. being a Qld based supporter of a melbourne club in the AFL (and the storm in the NRL) i don’t need to check if my game is the game thats on (especially the afl) and if it’s on mate i need to switch to FTA as mates not on foxsat. easier to switch to fox sports

Brian Taylor won’t be chosen to replace Dennis Cometti on Friday nights, let’s be honest…

But with no regular Saturday afternoon production, Hamish McLachlan is looking a certainty :+1:

Bring back Huddo and Sandy!

Yeah no idea why Seven don’t use these two. Should lead the coverage next year.