SEN (Radio)

Does Hudson call anything else for them? I can see Whately doing a lot more than just footy, another poster commented that Bryan Martin has retired, so that opens up the gallops, I think they do tennis as well, so it’s chief sports caller, not just footy.

1 Like

Isn’t it time they revisit the name of the station? SEN means absolutely nothing to most people. Did a straw poll at work and many had not even heard of the station, let alone could work out why a sports station would be called SEN. It should be something far more obvious. Any suggestions?

SEN: Sports Entertainment Network. It’s not about entertainment. And one station in Melbourne is not a network!

2 Likes

Seems like an obvious riff on ESPN, but yeah it’s pretty bad. There’s at least a couple of sport stations in the US called The Fan which I quite like.

3 Likes

Yeah easily better. 1116 THE FAN. Where Sports Lives or some tagline.

4 Likes

He was very good commentating swimming for Ten / ONE HD (Comm Games and the annual swimming championships).

Not sure if he did similar on radio (i.e.) Olympics?

It was always a stupid name. When it was first announced I just thought it was a dummy or interim name until something better is chosen closer to the launch. But no it has always been SEN…

Just change it back to 3AK :wink:

Whateley getting a US commentating trip almost immediately.

1 Like

I think they finished as Talk 1116 3AK, so why not Sport 1116 or Sport Talk 1116, not sure the callsign is essential in 2018.

I was sort of being facetious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

SEN, in my opinion, will gain listeners from ABC Radio Melbourne due to the signing of Gerard Whateley.

Great move by Craig Hutchison in signing such a great sports commentator.

SEN’S Ratings throughout the week will go up - no longer have ratings of 3.2%.

Once again, good job Craig Hutchison. ABC Radio Melbourne’s ratings will go down as SEN gains many - if not all - of their listeners.

Maybe some AFL fans will switch, but I doubt that people listening to the ABC for news will suddenly switch to SEN.

4 Likes

Nah, I think ABC Melbourne will still outrate Talking Asterisk.

4 Likes

ABC Radio Melbourne has long been the 2nd most listened to AM station in that city after 3AW, right?

Somehow I don’t think one sports commentator moving to SEN will likely change that.

6 Likes

At least there’s a station that acknowledges that the ABC’s bias against talking about asterisks should outrage all Australians #theirabc #youknowitmakessense*

*It should be obvious by the use of the hashtags that I’m being tongue-in-cheek and understand what Frankie is saying

4 Likes

Correct. And most of those ratings are due to the news, current affairs and talk programming that the station offers.

This might help entice some listeners over to SEN, but that will largely be limited to calls of actual games which aren’t surveyed on their own, so I would expect minimal ratings impact. People who want to listen to sport programming on weekdays would mostly already be listening to SEN on 927.

3 Likes

strong text I read an article via The Age Website there is going to be an audience boost for SEN from the ABC one person who commeneted said that person has no reason to listen to the ABC anymore, anther person said "Red sacked = audience decline and Gerard gone = audience decline. so despite the News on ABC listeners will come with Gerard from The ABC to SEN = audience boost small or large all we can do is wait and see. Many ABC Melbourne Listeners are angry with the way their Management is stuffing up ABC Radio Melbourne it looks as though SEN will win from The defection of Gerard Whateley from ABC Radio Melbourne from the comments I have read via the Age Website

PNW shares are in a trading halt as of yesterday. Would expect an announcement on the Crocmedia merger in the next couple of days.

The views of commenters on news websites are even less educated than the most crazed conspiracies posted here.

7 Likes

But on the other hand strong text.

9 Likes

SEN due tothe Signing g of Gerard Whateley are a big chance to replace TripleN in 2018 as a Cricket broadcaster