SEN (Radio)

A lot safer than the MMM Classic Rock playlist; most of those can be heard on generic classic hits stations around the country. I did hear them play Journey’s “Who’s Crying Now” earlier in the afternoon, though, so there’s that.

1 Like

Herald Sun reports today that former Essendon premiership player and coach James Hird is in discussions about pairing up with Garry Lyon on SEN. It will see both men team up on SEN’s Friday night AFL coverage and occasionally on Lyon’s new weekday SEN breakfast show.

It may seem strange but I have never heard Hird providing special comments on an AFL match on radio or TV.

And I for one don’t want to see him start. His legacy as Essendon coach is a once-proud club brought to its knees and the reputation of our game left in disrepute. Sure he was a good, even great player back in his day, but he is forever tarnished due to his actions and I don’t think the football world needs nor wants his involvement in it on a regular basis going forward

Garry Lyon on the other hand is a good pickup for SEN, he analyses the game well and when not turning the blokiness up to 11 like he did on MMM he offered some really good insight. In his case the water’s run under the bridge, and to be frank if shagging your mate’s partner was a basis for exclusion from the football world, there’d be a few people currently employed in the industry who would be very nervous…

1 Like

Think he did some work for Seven before he took up coaching.

Most of the bad press surrounding Lyon came not from journalists or opinion writers but from the comments sections and internet fora where anyone with a keyboard can give their opinion and deride mental illness. Happy to see him making inroads to his illness.

Agree completely, it will be good to see him back broadcasting for a number of reasons

2 Likes

I think Hird would be a poor pickup for SEN. His involvement in the supplements saga regardless of his guilt or innocence have demonstrated his explemely poor judgement and result in it all getting dragged out more than was required - something which no one in the football world or supporter base has enjoyed.
He’s become who’s following is limited to a small number of Essendob supporters and will likely turn off far more listeners than he will gain. Especially if paired up with Gary and his own recent controversy. (Though in Gary’s case it will be largely forgiven by listeners, but could still see some tune out.)

Herald Sun print edition says today that Daniel Harford will be the new co-host of SEN breakfast.

@JohnsonTV No, Daniel Harford is joining RSN Breakfast next year. IMO no big loss to SEN!

The paper now says that SEN management has decided it was “too risky” to have both Hird and Lyon on board, but may look at revisiting the situation in 12 months time.

With the new radio app, listening to classic rock. It reminds me of classic rock 95.3 and 91.5 a couple of years a little safe. It’s good how they flicked over when Melbourne decided to switch off classic rock. Shame they are not more like Rebel fm up in queensland.

2 Likes

The SEN breakfast show for 2017 is now confirmed: Garry Lyon, Hamish McLachlan and Tim Watson will co-host, with Sam McClure (ex-3AW) as reporter, Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy and former Herald Sun journalist Mike Sheahan as regulars. So it looks like Seven has sorted out working arrangements for McLachlan for both TV and radio.
The revamped show will launch on January 30.

SEN better hope that the new breakfast show does as well as they’re hedging their bets on otherwise it’s going to be one expensive flop…

1 Like

Just heard a promo for SEN Breakfast on Classic Rock Radio, running with this tagline - “In 2017, SEN is back in the game.”

1 Like

Been going around a few weeks now, also on Aussie, top of the hour pretty much EVERY hour.

3 Likes

According to Mumbrella, SEN will introduce a new show about the AFL Women’s competition with an all-female cast. The AFLW Hour of Power will air at 8am Sundays from next week (February 5), hosted by ex netball player Bianca Chatfield, with Sam Lane, talent development mentor Chyloe Kurdas and Collingwood player Kate Sheahan (daughter of veteran sports journalist Mike Sheahan) on the panel.

SEN has a newsreader again - Seven News’ Emily Angwin

I’m guessing rip and read from Macquarie National News?

2 Likes

Probably not exactly. The would most likely be using Macquarie’s “NewsMaker” service which provides all the text and audio grabs required to present the identical bulletin themselves, however with an experienced journalist I would expect that they would also source other news, particularly sport from other sources.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been listening today (Classic Rock Radio) and I don’t mind it… all the music has been ‘good’ (as background music at work)… nothing cringeworthy that makes me want to turn off… but then to be honest, it’s all quite bland… 10CC, followed by Supertramp, then some Bowie…

At least SCA’s Classic Rock had some eclectic variety.

Yep, Cath Thomas a bit safe with her direction to staff re, Classic Rock.

1 Like