SEN (Radio)

3MP is now Classic Rock Radio on 1377AM and DAB. Classic Rock is back. Good move!

1 Like

…and apparently online but I don’t know where. I can’t find any online presence.

2 Likes

Facebook page has just been updated:

Haven’t heard any jocks yet - hope they’ve still got jobs!

It’s weird seeing at One Time back in the 1990’s and 2000’s, The 1377 Frequency was Melbourne’s Home of Easy Music then came the Awful Melbourne Talk Radio which could’nt catch the More Established 3AW and ABC 774. Then Simulcasted MyMP from DAB+ playing 60’s and 70’s Music and Now Classic Rock. That could be 2SM in Sydney Next.

They only had two, John Tamb and Eddie Olek. John Tamb also panel operated for SEN. I’m sure he’ll still be there, not sure about Eddie. DLS is now also working on DAB. I think they mean to play mostly music with a minimum of chat, like most digital stations. So much better than the new OMG :slight_smile: which seems to be playing what MP used to play. So they have switched positioning now MP is Classic Rock.

You can listen to Classic Rock Radio 1377 online here: https://classicrock1377.com.au/
According to their Facebook page, there’ll be an app for iOS & Android to come.

It is a bit strange to have a ‘classic rock’ station on AM, but because of that, at least it can be heard for a long distance. For instance, it could be heard into Northern Tasmania during the day & night, particularly in coastal areas, and can be received into Sydney at night.

As @Brianc68 said in the “Digital Radio” thread when it was announced late last month that Triple M’s Classic Rock Digital was closing down on October 1:

Well, Pacific Star has done just that, even though it’s only available in Melbourne.

As a native Sydneysider, I’m a bit jealous that Melbourne has better commercial music radio stations than Sydney. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good on them!
Pity it’s only in Melbourne but at least someone is taking on those idiots at Triple M :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice to hear them using Golden Earring’s “Radar Love” as their traffic bed - throwback to Gold 104 circa five or six years ago

3 Likes

RIP 3MP.

Nice to see they actually have an online presence though! 3MP never seemed to.

WSFM here in Sydney also used to use that song as their theme for their “Time Saver Traffic” updates until about 2012 or maybe 2013! :slight_smile:

Classic Rock Radio just played the full cut of Dire Straits’ “Money for Nothing” - the word f**got and all. Promoting 60 minutes ad-free.

I’m trying to remember how much the Gold ‘sound’ changed - Grubby & Dee Dee finished up in 2011, and I feel like Jono & Dano were gone on drive by 2012. Perhaps 2013?.

2 Likes

Maybe Pacific Star would be interested in 2CH for classic rock and/or SEN?

1 Like

Eddie also does panel op work for SEN so I’d expect that he’s still there. I believe all his shifts on 3MP were voice tracked, so his workload wouldn’t have changed much.

2 Likes

Sounds like other than traffic and news, no announcers anyway, which is a mistake I think, even use John and Eddie, tell us about the music a bit. Nothing too much, could be voice tracked. Makes it more listenable.

Traffic report just ended with “on 1377 3MP”

Thanks for the info. @TV-Expert. So we can share the music with others. :slight_smile:

1 Like

MMM is trying to cause mischief in Melbourne! They are duplicating their MMM simulcast on DAB+ as Classic Rock (the normal simulcast still appears as Triple M) . So Melbourne appears to have 2 Classic Rock stations. IMO, pretty bad behavior on the part of SCA. Fraud! :grin: They give up this station so good on Pacific Star for taking it up. By the way IMO again, Pacific Star’s Classic Rock is MUCH better than SCA’s was.

1 Like

Sweeper just heard on CRR:
“Tell your mates, the classic rock is back”

Nice little dig back at 'em

Wooo! I hope they get back in the ratings and are really successful and don’t go rushing back to the old format - I’ll gladly take AM music over talk and football, so this will likely be my goto station in the car.

And on DAB it’s a better bit rate than MMM Classic Rock was, so again Melbourne wins…

They should probably replace Aussie or KOOOL with MyMP - as that’s still a valuable niche, given how much more listenable it is than Magic. Aussie is probably the most cannibalised by CRR, given how rock skewed it is, though KOOOL is closer in format to MyMP.

How can you listen to AM music though? It sounds awful, especially the weak 1377 frequency.