SEN (Radio)

It looks like it’s ticked up a little for the half-year to December 2021, but given the fingers in the pies they have now (the AFL’s Footy Record, a few regional/state-based TV shows for VIC/SA/WA, a sports-concierge like thing, a talent management biz, ownership of the Perth Wildcats plus a WNBL and NZ NBL team)… it’s hard to attribute a number purely to SEN radio.

The closest the half-yearly books give is that roughly 80% of their ~$49m half-year revenue was “media revenue” - as opposed to ~10% which looks like team ownership revenue (sponsorships, memberships etc, primarily for the Wildcats), and 10%-ish for “the rest”.

But how much of that media revenue is their own radio stations [and how much is mainline SEN vs Track] as opposed to podcasts, TV, on-selling rights for regional stations to air AFL/NRL Nation, and especially the Record now (which would drag a lot more in than when they produced a competing magazine), 🤷‍♂.

That does make it a weird company from… at least a modern radio ownership standpoint, certainly, given so much of their revenue would actually be outside radio. I don’t envy professional financial folk that’d try to put a proper value on its growth prospects in all that!

2 Likes

I reckon SEN, having just dished out $12m, would not have been in any hurry to let go of 693. I can’t imagine them feeling any sympathy for 4KQ fans in despair. I’m not technical but wouldn’t 693 offer a clearer signal, or at least be less prone to interference, than 1116?

4 Likes

The 693 signal is superior to the 1116 signal. A big part of that is that the 1116 (originally for 4BC) transmitter site at Nudgee isn’t the best. The 693 one on Wynnum Road is shared with 882. 693 used to be significantly better, though, when it was on St Helena Island giving a massive signal up and down the south east coast, particularly helped by the low frequency travelling across an ocean path.

693 is 10kw daytime while 1116 is 17kw (daytime), the highest powered commercial AM stations in Australia. The next highest are SEN on 693, 4TAB 1008 (day night) plus SEN 1170 Sydney (daytime) and 6PR 882 (day night) that are 10k.

3 Likes

Licensed for that but are they switching up higher in daytimes?

Never heard the switch like what is so noticeable on 1116.

The 17kW of 4BC daytime is only in a northerly direction, far from an OD pattern. @gordo92 has described the lobes many moons ago.

1 Like

Move to the SEN (Company) (formerly Crocmedia) thread. :smile:

1 Like

For what it’s worth - the (brief) promos have started on air for this, I believe they said this starts next Monday (5th Sep).

They’ve already changed the podcast header on their site (revealing the name of the show as “Giddy Up” with Gareth Hall) which is just reusing the old Bensley show feed.

On a radio broadcasting note, I sorta hope it does end up giving them some content to put on 1116 during the summer - Australian baseball desperately needs it after two cancelled seasons. I guess we’ll find out closer to November.

It wouldn’t be the first time SEN have broadcast Melbourne Aces baseball, although I think it was prior to the Crocmedia merger, and not on 1116 itself. Might’ve been on 1377 or even something like that “Aussie” station on DAB+, which they were also using for A-League coverage at the time.

2 Likes

According to Herald Sun’s Scott Gullan, 1116 SEN is set to tinker with its breakfast line-up next year with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson to only appear on three days per week. The plan for 2023 is to have Lyon fall in line with Watson’s current roster (Tuesday-Thursday) with a different pairing for Monday. Lyon and Nathan Buckley currently host Monday’s show with Kane Cornes and David King on Fridays.

SEN will provide dedicated commentary for all home games of Kings, Wildcats, 36ers and JackJumpers for the upcoming NBL season.

2 Likes

So much for their big headline a while back boasting how they’ve secured Gary & Tim for some time yet.

I wonder why the experiment with such a prime time slot?

2 Likes

Probably can’t afford them five days a week.

Rotating hosts during a week doesn’t fit with the survey methodology so SEN will slide further to irrelevance. Good.

4 Likes

Indeed…Good…the quicker the better

2 Likes

I heard the audio on the 7.30am news on 3AW today. Scary stuff. Glad she is OK.

3 Likes

Nine has the police statement:

Police said a group of “at least” five men pulled up alongside the footballer’s car in a VW Passat on Temple Street in Coorparoo.

“The males attempted to open the door, with one of them producing a knife and yelling at the woman through the closed driver’s side window,” a statement said.

"They were unable to gain entry as the vehicle was locked and returned back to the VW Passat before leaving onto Bennetts Road. "

This is a fairly settled, suburban area of the city. Perhaps some property crime in vicinity of the railway station but not this.

1 Like

I heard Karl Stefanovic talking about this on Today and he mentioned a recent spike of similar crime in the area. Very scary stuff - great to hear she’s ok.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1575052858269093889

UPDATE 29/9

Queensland Police this morning confirmed they had charged a 14-year-old boy in relation to the alleged attempted armed robbery.

“At approximately 8pm last night detectives located a teenage boy at a Goodna address where he was arrested without incident,” police said.

“The 14-year-old boy has been charged with multiple offences, including three counts of armed robbery, two counts of unlawful use of a motor vehicle, and one count each of burglary and attempted enter dwelling with intent.”

He is expected to appear in the Brisbane Children’s Court.

2 Likes

I mean, who wouldn’t be happy investing $12m on a station rating 9.4 per cent, and dropping it down to 0.4 per cent in its first ratings?

Shareholders would surely be pleased. Surely…?

11 Likes

Yes what a joke.

“Building from the ground up” for sure. He just doesn’t realise 0.4% is about as high as it will go. And for all the SEN fans who say they don’t need ratings (i.e. people listening), why bother buying a station then?

4 Likes

When is the house of cards going to fall. A company with dud stations on both sides of the Tasman now.

2 Likes

they’ll be looking for a pay day soon! Good luck with that

2 Likes

Isn’t the “ground” of 693AM at 9.4 per cent?

2 Likes