SEN (Radio)

Probably Gerard Whateley where possible. For the majority of the time they will take Seven’s commentary for events.

4 Likes

Also heard Matt White’s name mentioned

I use to love the old days when the radio coverage was pooled with ABC and 2UE/3AW/4BC/6PR and each channel would dip in and out of whatever sports they wanted to air. The callers would even say “you’re listening to Australian radios coverage…”

It was a great collaborative effort and top notch coverage.

7 Likes

That was just for Sydney 2000 I think?

2 Likes

They did it for some comm games and Athens I think.

2 Likes

SEN has announced details of their Tokyo Olympics coverage. There’ll be locally presented coverage between 10am and 3pm (eg; Gerard Whateley will host the coverage for Melbourne listeners, Sydney listeners will hear Matt White & Katie Brown, etc) followed by national coverage from 6pm.

For those who want don’t want to listen to Olympics coverage, the app will offer alternate versions of 1116 SEN (hosted by Kane Cornes) and 1170 SEN (hosted by Chris Warren) with AFL and NRL programming

4 Likes

With Brisbane Recieving the 2032 Olympics, Shall the Sports Entertainment Network expand into the City by buying the 882 Frequency and 80kbit/s from Nine Radio to Launch the City’s own Localised SEN Station as well as 1053 SEN Track over there? They did with 2CH in Sydney where they moved the Music to DAB+.

1 Like

Olympics or not, you would think that SEN is looking at having a normal frequency in every capital city market.

5 Likes

Nine would be reluctant sellers. Better off doing a deal with city wide community radio (maybe Family 96.5) to simulcast programming into more ears.

The gambling promos on SEN might be a problem for them, I think.

7 Likes

I strongly doubt the bandwidth available to the community broadcasters on DAB+ can simply be leased to a commercial radio station either. Community stations are also licensed and therefore chartered to serve a certain community group with a membership base. No current community station in Brisbane is chartered to serve solely “sport” and I don’t think ACMA would be in a hurry to issue a city wide sports community station in Brisbane.

Not without precedent though, Sport FM in Perth is the only comparable community station I can think of.

9 Likes

Fresh FM Bendigo’s community interest is listed as “General Geographic Area with a Focus on Sport”.

5 Likes

Is there a possibility to change a community licence condition?

The only Brisbane wide community stations are:
*Family 96.5 (probably goes against Christian ethos)
*4EB (very unlikely to carry sport)
*Switch 1197 (the Youth thing never really worked out so possibly)
*98.9 (maybe sport from an Indigenous angle)
*4ZZZ (very unlikely to carry sport)

I think Brisbane does not have too many option for AM radio stations. I feel that maybe The River FM station they could make an offer they cannot refuse. I am not sure how 94.9 FM get into Brisbane, is it adequate? Maybe 4BH can do a swap or the highest bid?

It’s possible.

The membership and the board could vote at the AGM to change the programming direction of the station. But then when the license is up for renewal it still also needs to tick all the boxes that ACMA require for all aspirant and incumbent community broadcasters.

1 Like

Reaches Toowoomba great apparently but doesn’t travel that far into Brisbane. Just the Western suburbs.

2 Likes

Maybe like 2CH, they can give 4BH some DAB space. Mirror the Edge model in Sydney in some ways. If I was Nine I would take that up. I would think in a parallel universe 2ch would of taken up an offer to be air on 96.1 FM.

2 Likes

downloaded the SEN app to listen in the car only to find it’s not carplay compatible. big disappointment as radio streaming apps are the exact apps that should be carplay compatible

2 Likes

How do I access SEN Flip from the SEN website? I can see it on the app but the website just lists the normal SEN stream which is airing the Olympic content.

SEN Flip on DAB+ and on the app is airing the alternate AFL/NRL programming.

1 Like

I haven’t found a way either which is disappointing, same as the 7/mate audio.

1 Like